Pitt vs Umass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjc100

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am lucky to have been accepted into both Pitt and umass.
I grew up in Pittsburgh so I am comfortable with the city but also kind of excited for a change of scenery. I also have family around UMass so I would have a support system at either school.
The prices are comparable. Until now I was leaning towards Pitt because i thought it was a much better ranked school, but I am pretty sure I want to go into peds and I know UMass just got ranked top 10 for primary care. I know Pitt has a huge focus on research which I will do during school but I don’t see myself doing research after school is over. Which school would give me more opportunities for a career in pediatrics?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to UMass. Super underrated school. Their NIH funding is massive (for reference, I work there in research right now and I get paid $30+/hr while getting added to the coauthor list for multiple publications). Hospitals are great as well.

The only downside is Worcester is meh. There are some really nice surrounding towns though. Boston is also a ~40-50 minute drive.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I would pick Pitt - it's just a fantastic school and there is a tier difference here. Pitt also has it's own Children's Hospital.

Please don't use primary care rankings to determine where you want to go.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd also say to consider Pitt more. If you really are sure what you want to do and think you have what you need to get there, go with umass. However, people's priorities change. What if you fall in love with surgery, or research?

On the other hand, you have to go wherever you're happiest. And that could be to stay with your support system.

Reactions: 1 user