Tufts Vs UMass Chan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tufts or UMass


  • Total voters
    17
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am very fortunate to be choosing between my top 2 choices. However, with the April 30th commit to enroll date approaching quickly, I am unsure about which school to attend.

I still have not heard back from either school as far as financial aid, so I am assuming that means it is unlikely to receive any from either school. I am not rich and will be funding myself 100% with loans.

As far as what specialty I want to go into, I am interested in PM&R and internal medicine, but am definitely undecided and open minded.

Tufts
Pros
  • Can live at home rent free with my support network
  • 1.5 yr pre clinical
  • P/F
  • Very positive impression from med students & staff
  • Great mentorship program

Cons
  • If I don't get any financial aid it is more expensive (73k tuition vs 42k tuition at UMass)
  • Ranked lower than UMass


UMass Chan
Pros
  • 30k less in tuition every year
  • New VISTA Curriculum
  • P/F
  • Ranked higher than tufts for both research and primary care
  • More research funding
  • Received a large donation a couple years ago(300+ million)
  • Learning communities seem really cool


Cons
  • Have to pay for rent which increases the price significantly
  • Worcester is a less desirable location than Boston

Summary: I’d really appreciate any insight from people familiar with Tufts and UMass. Are there factors I should be considering that I might be overlooking deciding between the two? Is living at home going to be beneficial because I get to be with my support network, or is it a bad idea because I won't be as immersed in the medical school community compared to other students living in apartments/ with other med students?
 
It sounds like costs will be similar so I would prioritize the program and location that you prefer.

There likely isn't a uniform answer to whether living at home will be beneficial as this going to be specific to the relationship between you and your family. I have a friend who lived at home during grad school and her parents would make dinner for her and do her laundry when she was busy and that was a huge help. But for me, I know there's no way I could be productive in my parents' house. Also, I'd consider how far the commute would be. I would hate to spend too much time in the car when I'd already be so busy with school, and I also think a long commute could make it harder to immerse yourself as much in your class.
 
It sounds like costs will be similar so I would prioritize the program and location that you prefer.

There likely isn't a uniform answer to whether living at home will be beneficial as this going to be specific to the relationship between you and your family. I have a friend who lived at home during grad school and her parents would make dinner for her and do her laundry when she was busy and that was a huge help. But for me, I know there's no way I could be productive in my parents' house. Also, I'd consider how far the commute would be. I would hate to spend too much time in the car when I'd already be so busy with school, and I also think a long commute could make it harder to immerse yourself as much in your
Thank you!