Pitt vs UVA vs UMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NectarineNaya7

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am extremely grateful to be in this position but I wanted to hear some opinion also about deciding. COA is essentially the same at all three medical schools. I am interested in research and neurology. I want to eventually match near Maryland or the states surrounding Maryland.

Pitt:
Pros
- research-intensive and focused (close to Carnegie Mellon)
- seems to be a lot to do in the city
- very large hospital system (would be able to meet a diverse patient population)
- higher school ranking (T15)
- seems to have a lot of opportunity and matching in neurology/psychiatry (which I am interested in)
- wonderful match list but it seems that students tend to stay at UPMC

Cons
- 2 year rather than 1.5-year pre-clinical
- second look isn't until this week
- shortest allotted time to study for STEP 1

UVA:
Pros
- faculty, students and staff were incredibly friendly and it seems that they are for students
- curriculum is in three phases
- housing is really nice and affordable
- I think now T30 as well?

Cons
- I am not certain about living in Charlottesville (diversity)
- rotations in rural Virginia
- not a lot of student go/match into neurology

UMB:
Pros
- closest to home, family, and support
- recent change in curriculum and I am loving the additional tracks (culinary medicine)
- most diverse in student population
- I would know more medical students (coming from my alma mater)
- pretty diverse match list
- very involved in diversity recruitment and social determinants of health
- now T30

Cons
- not crazy about living in Baltimore (safety and all)
- want a change in scenery

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt. With the pros and cons, it seems that Pitt would be the best for you. Also Pitt has an amazing reputation that would open a lot more doors. UVA comes second

Reactions: 1 user
Given your desire for a change of scenery, and equivalent COA, I'd opt for Pitt. It's an absolutely outstanding school and I think you could easily match back to Mid-Atlantic.

Pitt will give you great opportunities and you should be able to match near Maryland if you focus on programs in that area, especially since you already have family there.

Members don't see this ad :)
UVA and Pitt are both great schools and have equally high reputations in the nation. But I thought UVASOM’s tuition is lower?

In terms of living, UVA has warmer weather while Pittsburgh can have lots of snow and rains quite a lot. Pittsburgh is a larger city while in Charlottesville you can have more outdoor activities (I think there is a national park nearby?)

I’m sure you can get great research opportunities in either school. Which curriculum do you like more? I know Pitt uses PBL, not sure about UVA.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I believe Maryland is a solid school too. You just mentioned the desire for a change of scenery. Any one of the three will work for you and if you need / want family support, Maryland is a good option. IMO, Pitt is the strongest.

All of the schools are excellent and have great associated medical centers, but it’s clear you want to go to Pitt and want a change in scenery. You can match back in the DC/Va/MD area from there, no problem.

In terms of what you like based on your post it’s Pitt > UMD > UVA. I would probably narrow it down between Pitt and UMD in your position, weight the family support/1.5 yr curriculum vs. prestige/research. For what it’s worth, Maryland is also highly regarded, and I really don’t think you can go wrong here.

I think the majority might say that Pittsburgh > Baltimore in terms of of the city, living environment, safety. That might also be a factor to consider.

Pitt student here, and I would say it has been a great experience so far! Also you have 6 weeks to study for Step, but also the three weeks beforehand you only have about 10 hours of class stuff per week and its all case based stuff meant to help you synthesize what you learned during M1-M2. Also we aren't quite 2 years but rather more like 18 months or so since you start clinicians in May. Feel free to pm if you have any more specific questions and I will do my best to answer in a timely manner. Congrats again on your great options :)