Pitt vs UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malmed1025

Reaction score
Hey guys, would love some help with this decision, thanks in advance for reading! I’m interested in specializing within pediatrics, though I know that is likely to shift during med school.
(The tuition and COA will be the same for me, so I am taking that factor out of this)

Pitt:

Pros:
-In-State, easy to get home
-Bigger city, more things happening
-Slightly higher ranked (15 vs 25)
-Bigger research emphasis
-UPMC is huge and great experience
-Hospital has a great reputation for pediatrics
-Great ability to match in the northeast (and in PA if I want to stay)
-Cheap city to live in

Cons:
-Cold, snow, a bit isolated from other cities
-not my favorite city upon visiting
-2 years pre-clinical
-Students weren’t as happy and personable on interview day

UVA:

Pros:
-very impressed by the curriculum, more alternative and hands-on learning, 1.5 years preclinical
-had an amazing time at my interview, students were so happy and I felt at home
-small college town, more walkable, and also relatively cheap
-Inova Fairfax campus gives clinical experience in DC
-also close to home and drivable
-Close to much of my family in DC
-Great match list as well, matches throughout the northeast

Cons:
-Lower ranked
-Hospital system isn’t as big and reputable as UPMC
-have to do rotations in distant parts of Virginia, move around a bit during M3
-always lived in cities, unsure if I would be underwhelmed by Charlottesville

Overall, I’ve been able to convince myself either way. If anyone has things to add to my list that would help with this, please let me know! And what you would do if you were me.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt is the better school, and it’s closer to your family! Sounds like a match made in heaven! Congrats on the acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I attended UVA for a 1 year post-baccalaureate program and am a MS1 at Pitt Med now, so I may have some insight to share.

Program structure: Yes, at Pitt we have 2 years of pre-clinical but we also have rotations once a week in the hospital that start during the first year, which focuses on interviewing/assessment skills. I agree, Pitt has way more opportunities within the city, as we are affiliated with many different hospitals. Also, we perform just about any procedure and are able to shadow in whatever we wish. At UVA, you will easily be able to access the main hospital (connected to the med school) but it might be difficult getting to other clinical sites for your rotation.

The cities: I absolutely LOVED C-ville. I'm a big outdoors person so I enjoyed having access to Shenandoah. People are nice in Charlottesville and life is slower there, which is really nice. Also the weather is incredible. Overall, I was very happy being there, despite being admitted to a stressful program. After a year, I knew my way around very well. However, part of why I wasn't interested in staying was because I felt like I could only grow so much there. Admittedly, I have not fallen in love with Pittsburgh, yet. I am still adjusting to living in a major city. Also, it may be harder to meet people outside of the medical school in Charlottesville, as there is only one major university in town. I would love to move back to Charlottesville one day, but couldn't imagine spending my 20s there.

Students/happiness: I'm sorry the students on interview day did not seem happy. In fact, this is the opposite of what I usually hear about Pitt interviews! Maybe students had a test coming up or were having a bad day. I will say, we are pretty happy for being in med school. Med school is tough everywhere, but pass/fail curriculum has helped reduce performance-related stress for me personally. We are given many chances to show that we are capable. Many of us agree that we can't imagine completing med school somewhere else, so please don't let these students dissuade you. We are all incredibly proud to be part of UPMC/ Pitt Med and feel fortunate to learn there!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I attended UVA for a 1 year post-baccalaureate program and am a MS1 at Pitt Med now, so I may have some insight to share.

Program structure: Yes, at Pitt we have 2 years of pre-clinical but we also have rotations once a week in the hospital that start during the first year, which focuses on interviewing/assessment skills. I agree, Pitt has way more opportunities within the city, as we are affiliated with many different hospitals. Also, we perform just about any procedure and are able to shadow in whatever we wish. At UVA, you will easily be able to access the main hospital (connected to the med school) but it might be difficult getting to other clinical sites for your rotation.

The cities: I absolutely LOVED C-ville. I'm a big outdoors person so I enjoyed having access to Shenandoah. People are nice in Charlottesville and life is slower there, which is really nice. Also the weather is incredible. Overall, I was very happy being there, despite being admitted to a stressful program. After a year, I knew my way around very well. However, part of why I wasn't interested in staying was because I felt like I could only grow so much there. Admittedly, I have not fallen in love with Pittsburgh, yet. I am still adjusting to living in a major city. Also, it may be harder to meet people outside of the medical school in Charlottesville, as there is only one major university in town. I would love to move back to Charlottesville one day, but couldn't imagine spending my 20s there.

Students/happiness: I'm sorry the students on interview day did not seem happy. In fact, this is the opposite of what I usually hear about Pitt interviews! Maybe students had a test coming up or were having a bad day. I will say, we are pretty happy for being in med school. Med school is tough everywhere, but pass/fail curriculum has helped reduce performance-related stress for me personally. We are given many chances to show that we are capable. Many of us agree that we can't imagine completing med school somewhere else, so please don't let these students dissuade you. We are all incredibly proud to be part of UPMC/ Pitt Med and feel fortunate to learn there!

hey! Thank you so much for responding that’s really great to know! I’ve heard great things about the student environment at Pitt, so I'm sure it was just a stressful week. I’m curious how you’ve found school to far at Pitt? Has it been insanely stressful and time consuming, or do you feel like you’ve had nights or weekends to explore and be with friends?

School has been pretty good so far! It's stressful & time consuming for sure, but I wouldn't say that it's been insane. I'm not the type of person who can focus for extended periods of time, so you definitely won't find me studying for 8+ hours/day on weekends, even before an exam lol. That's for the gunners. The pass/fail system really allows you to focus your energy during times where it's needed and allows for wiggle room at times where you just can't focus 100%.

Regarding social life, I'm naturally more introverted than most people in my class, so I like to spend a lot of time relaxing on my own. With that being said, I've made time for nearly every social gathering that I've wanted to go to (dinners/ outings/ get togethers / class events / holiday party / prom). I've visited home frequently and have had time for family and friends to visit on weekends. A lot of my classmates manage to get together AT LEAST once a week for different TV series and go out on weekends. If spending time with friends is how you recharge, you'll definitely be able to carve out the time on school nights and weekends. Plus, the weekend after an exam, you're basically 100% free!!

So sorry just wanted to add one more thing regarding UVA. It's a really special place and I've never been so proud to live within a community before. The athletics, the research, the impressive undergraduates. Grounds are absolutely gorgeous in all seasons. I really miss everything about it and I think you have a tough decision ahead of you!!

feel free to ask me anything / message me

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
School has been pretty good so far! It's stressful & time consuming for sure, but I wouldn't say that it's been insane. I'm not the type of person who can focus for extended periods of time, so you definitely won't find me studying for 8+ hours/day on weekends, even before an exam lol. That's for the gunners. The pass/fail system really allows you to focus your energy during times where it's needed and allows for wiggle room at times where you just can't focus 100%.

Regarding social life, I'm naturally more introverted than most people in my class, so I like to spend a lot of time relaxing on my own. With that being said, I've made time for nearly every social gathering that I've wanted to go to (dinners/ outings/ get togethers / class events / holiday party / prom). I've visited home frequently and have had time for family and friends to visit on weekends. A lot of my classmates manage to get together AT LEAST once a week for different TV series and go out on weekends. If spending time with friends is how you recharge, you'll definitely be able to carve out the time on school nights and weekends. Plus, the weekend after an exam, you're basically 100% free!!

So sorry just wanted to add one more thing regarding UVA. It's a really special place and I've never been so proud to live within a community before. The athletics, the research, the impressive undergraduates. Grounds are absolutely gorgeous in all seasons. I really miss everything about it and I think you have a tough decision ahead of you!!

feel free to ask me anything / message me

I’m so sorry I just saw this! Thank you so much, you don’t know how helpful it is to have the perspective of someone who’s experienced both. I know it’s a great decision to have, and that’s why it’s so tough. I will definitely reach out with more questions and keep you posted on my decision

I’m so sorry I just saw this! Thank you so much, you don’t know how helpful it is to have the perspective of someone who’s experienced both. I know it’s a great decision to have, and that’s why it’s so tough. I will definitely reach out with more questions and keep you posted on my decision

Please lmk what you decide!! And maybe I'll see you at Pitt in the fall haha

Reactions: 1 user