pittsburgh or michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geekgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if i had to choose 1 interview - is michigan a better program? i've heard good things, but i have also heard good re: pittsburgh.

different strengths? etc.

any feedback would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

geekgirl said:
if i had to choose 1 interview - is michigan a better program? i've heard good things, but i have also heard good re: pittsburgh.

different strengths? etc.

any feedback would be appreciated.

I'd say Michigan, but pick based on where you want to live or some other objective preference. Trying to differentiate two big academic programs on intangibles is a futile exercise.

Pilot Doc said:
I'd say Michigan, but pick based on where you want to live or some other objective preference. Trying to differentiate two big academic programs on intangibles is a futile exercise.

I've also heard better things about Michigan, but basically I think they're both in the top "10" whatever that is..

Members don't see this ad :)
Pittsburg is a better overall program across all surgical divisions but I would much rather live in Ann Arbor. You have to be able to tolerate the city you train in for 5+ years.

For what it's worth, I absolutely loved Pittsburgh. I couldn't bring myself to interview at Michigan because the thought of the winter there made my fingers, toes and ears sad. I hear it, too, is a great program. Again, it just depends on where you would rather live. Ann Arbor sounds like a fun college town, but I was very impressed with the city of Pittsburgh (it isn't an old, dirty steel town). Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Hi, Ive lived in both cities, and rotated at Pitt.
Both are excellent surgery programs, people in the surgery program at Pitt are friendlier - it is a hard working nonmalignant program. Both are well funded for research and surgery facilities.

Pitt is less expensive, clean, like a small version of Chicago - complete with a dozen suspension bridges and a skyline. The economy is kindof blue-collar and not industrial like before. It seems to have diversified since the rust belt days of the 70s and 80s. Some pharmaceuticals and other clean industries.The trees there are huge, sometimes the sky is grey and it rains. Thats about half the days in winter that its grey, and every third that it rains a little. Its no Seattle. You can buy a huge house there for cheap. (5 min from campus, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 4 stories for $170k) Theres several cool entertainment districts, fueled by 7 universities, including Carnegie Mellon (super famous for engineering, science, and robotics) UPitt (huge student population) and multiple other private colleges - I couldnt keep count. Nice law school, a business school. Great residencies all around, but many residents there say that their top 10 surgery program is their flagship - it makes the rest of the programs look even better. Theyre nice, in the OR and out. They get whatever fellowships they want, and even the alums love their school and keep in touch with their former faculty and chairs (no hard feelings, thats a good sign.)

Ann Arbor is grey 4/5 of days or more in the winter, it doesnt rain there as much as Pittsburgh. Its a long, bone chilling, burning cold winter every time. Its dirtier. It is more expensive, tough to buy a house alone. There is one large college there, lots of people to date, great college sports but no pro sports teams. Great live music scene, especially Jazz. Every program at UM is tops, which may be why they have some attitude, like a pseudo-Ivy. The surgery program is acknowledged by all as among the top few in the list of top 10.