Program-Specific Info / Q's Pittsburgh OTD

• Thread starter occupational therapy
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

occupational therapy

hey are there any students who are planning to attent Pitt, or who are currently attending their program?

I've never been to Pittsburgh, and I am trying to get an idea of the area and the program.

Any info about anything Pitt would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pittsburgh is hands down one of my absolute favorite cities! I have family out there and visit often. Lots to do, everyone is so friendly, amazing sports atmosphere and Pitt's campus is beautiful--right in downtown Oakland, not a far drive to center city, South Side, etc. Have you been accepted to the OTD program starting 2017? If so, congratulations! When did you receive your acceptance?

hey are there any students who are planning to attent Pitt, or who are currently attending their program?

I've never been to Pittsburgh, and I am trying to get an idea of the area and the program.

Any info about anything Pitt would be awesome!

I received my acceptance this morning. I was planning on visiting another school this weekend and then have an interview at Belmont next weekend. I am hoping to visit Pitt soon. They have an open house April 8th and a facebook chat tomorrow (1/18) from 1-2:30. I've never been to Pitt before but my family is from WV and went to school in Morgantown so not too far from Pitt. I noticed on another thread you mentioned that your top choice was Tufts. Is that still the case? I applied to only OTD programs since I already have a masters in public health so I never looked into Tufts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted this morning, and I will visit the campus to get a better sense. I honestly don't know so much about the area, but I've heard mostly positive things!

I am not sure what school is my first choice at this point, I am grateful to even have a choice! I love Somerville, my sister went to tufts and i got to visit her several times, the area is suburban but lively and young.

I will say that I like nature and being outside, do you think Pitt is a good balance between urban and outdoor living? Is it a driving city or a walking city? (i dont think id have a car if i went there)

congrats on your acceptance! what r u thinking as far as where ull end up?

good luck to everyone

I was accepted this morning, and I will visit the campus to get a better sense. I honestly don't know so much about the area, but I've heard mostly positive things!

I am not sure what school is my first choice at this point, I am grateful to even have a choice! I love Somerville, my sister went to tufts and i got to visit her several times, the area is suburban but lively and young.

I will say that I like nature and being outside, do you think Pitt is a good balance between urban and outdoor living? Is it a driving city or a walking city? (i dont think id have a car if i went there)

congrats on your acceptance! what r u thinking as far as where ull end up?

good luck to everyone

Well before my acceptance to Pitt I was leaning towards University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Chattanooga is such a beautiful place and has a lot of outdoor activities (biking, kayaking, hiking, Tennessee River fun) . They don't send out acceptances until mid-March into April so I don't know if I will be accepted. However, Pitt is such a wonderful program that I'm not sure if I can turn them down. I definitely need to visit the area. Its currently 75 degrees where I live and I went to the beach yesterday so the climate would be a big change for me.

I was able to walk to school for the majority of my graduate program and loved the convenience but did not like living in the city and being so close so I would be looking to drive into school regardless of where I choose to attend.

Also, I know I want to work in pediatrics. Looking through Pitt's website it seems to have faculty that are doing research in peds. So my main concern is making sure I end up at a school that will provide a strong pediatric education along with opportunities for research and involvement into the community.

I'm also super excited to have been offered admission to Pitt :) is anyone else considering other accredited OTD programs though, since Pitt hasn't yet been granted candidacy status for accreditation?

personally, the candidacy thing won't affect my decision of where to go, only cuz the school has such a strong history, so I'm not worried about the process of the OTD being approved. for me, the vibe of the school/ the feeling of the surrounding area will probably be the deciding factor. Are you thinking you might attend Pitt, tabs? congrats on your acceptance!

personally, the candidacy thing won't affect my decision of where to go, only cuz the school has such a strong history, so I'm not worried about the process of the OTD being approved. for me, the vibe of the school/ the feeling of the surrounding area will probably be the deciding factor. Are you thinking you might attend Pitt, tabs? congrats on your acceptance!

Thank you! Yes, I'm strongly considering Pitt (I mean I have to, it's my only acceptance so far haha). Congrats to you too! What are you most excited for about Pitt's program?

Hello all!

I was accepted to Pitt's OTD program and was wondering if anybody is attending or not. I absolutely love Pitt (I just graduated from there in May), but originally wanted to go somewhere else to have a new experience. Now that I have been accepted, I'm finding it hard to turn down because it is a great program. Does the price scare anybody else? I'm waiting to hear back from a few other programs that are much cheaper, mainly because they are master's programs. I'm worried that the OTD and "ranking" of Pitt won't offset the cost. Almost every person I have talked to has suggested I take the cheaper route, even if it means a less well known school.

Hello everyone!

I just received an email letting me know I've been put on the wait list at Pitt. I am wondering for those students already accepted, when is your deadline to accept or decline your offer of admission? Thanks!

Hello all!

I was accepted to Pitt's OTD program and was wondering if anybody is attending or not. I absolutely love Pitt (I just graduated from there in May), but originally wanted to go somewhere else to have a new experience. Now that I have been accepted, I'm finding it hard to turn down because it is a great program. Does the price scare anybody else? I'm waiting to hear back from a few other programs that are much cheaper, mainly because they are master's programs. I'm worried that the OTD and "ranking" of Pitt won't offset the cost. Almost every person I have talked to has suggested I take the cheaper route, even if it means a less well known school.

I have decided on Pitt's OTD program. The cost was the only negative in my decision making. My OT career goals include working with children and eventually becoming a professor and being involved in research. Pitt being apart of the AAU was a big positive. I was mainly comparing Pitt and VCU and felt that if I only wanted to be a clinician that VCU would have been ideal but since I want to work in academia someday I chose Pitt.

I'm having problems in finding housing as the options are very different than what I'm used to in SC. Since undergrad I have always lived in an apartment complex that was not privately owned and it seems that there are more options living in houses or smaller apartment buildings in Pittsburgh. If you have any suggestions that would be great!

Does anybody know if there is a facebook page for Pitt's OTD class yet?

There is! If t

Yes there is! If you want to message me I can help you find it/add you. I graduated from Pitt and am most likely returning for graduate school so I can give you pointers for housing too :) I'm looking for housing now too and I know how stressful it is haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I just received an email letting me know I've been put on the wait list at Pitt. I am wondering for those students already accepted, when is your deadline to accept or decline your offer of admission? Thanks!

They give you 2 weeks from date of acceptance. I think you will mostly hear more in March because a lot of schools don't get back to you until then. Pitt was one of my top choices so I committed, but to be honest, if I received an offer from another school I would seriously consider it due to price. I have a feeling a lot of people feel that way too. Best of luck :)

If you are interested in research and plan to keep in contact with them I would make sure you bring up research/ask questions about getting involved. Pitt loves research and students who want to contribute to it!

Hello everyone!

I got into a different school where I get instate tuition so I'm giving up my spot this week! Hope it helps you on the wait list!

Hello again everyone! For those offered a spot in the upcoming class, have you all accepted, or have any of you given up your position to attend another school? Anxiously awaiting a wait-list final decision from them haha

I've accepted, but I may withdraw due to getting into a program that is nearly 30k in tuition cheaper plus the extra living expenses from the longer duration. Kind of bummed because I loved my undergraduate at Pitt but since I'm paying this all in loans on my own, I need to really think about finances.

I'm also super excited to have been offered admission to Pitt :) is anyone else considering other accredited OTD programs though, since Pitt hasn't yet been granted candidacy status for accreditation?

I would be incredibly shocked if Pitt didn't get their doctorate accredited. They are one of the top programs in the country, most of the staff is either on the board for the AOTA or was recently on the board for the AOTA, part of the staff used to write NBCOT questions, and Dr. Skidmore (dept head) was recently honored by the president for a science award and is the first OT to have been honored in this fashion. Pitt is expensive, but it's also straight-up legit.

Hey guys, I applied OTD Pitts as well and I was notified yesterday (March 12 2018) I was waitlisted and was wondering when will I hear back from the school?

I am from Pittsburgh, born and raised. It is unlike any other city. Beautiful. There is always something going on. Great sports. Great food. Great people. I recommend making the visit!

Down fall to PITT OT is price. A family friend is in so much debt after PITT OT that she cannot buy a house due to her debt to income ratio, and she came out making over 75k. That is alarming and one of the reasons I am not even going to bother to apply! It is also expensive to live in a popular area like Oakland.

Hey guys, is there any news whether the class is full? I'm waitlisted as well and anxiously waiting to get accepted.

Hey guys, I (sadly) turned down my acceptance in Pitt for NYU. Hopefully my slot would go to a waitlisted person

Hey guys, I (sadly) turned down my acceptance in Pitt for NYU. Hopefully my slot would go to a waitlisted person
I am applying to both Pitt and NYU this cycle! What made you choose NYU over Pitt, and how do like the program? I love New York and the idea of living there is so exciting, but I worry about finding affordable apartments and working to pay rent while attending OT school. Have you been able to balance these things? Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing your stats, I would be so grateful! Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Has anyone attended a Blue and Gold day at Pitt? I was recently accepted, but I'm from out of state so I'm very unfamiliar with the school and city. I thought the Blue and Gold day would be a really great chance to see the campus and attend a class. I'd love any information on experiences at Pitt!

I was also wondering if there is a dress code for classes in the OTD program? I know some programs have their students wear business casual, so I just don't want to show up under/overdressed. Attending Pitt would be a huge transition for me, so if anyone had any other general information about the school or what it's like, I would really appreciate it!

I just got accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone attended a Blue and Gold day at Pitt? I was recently accepted, but I'm from out of state so I'm very unfamiliar with the school and city. I thought the Blue and Gold day would be a really great chance to see the campus and attend a class. I'd love any information on experiences at Pitt!

I was also wondering if there is a dress code for classes in the OTD program? I know some programs have their students wear business casual, so I just don't want to show up under/overdressed. Attending Pitt would be a huge transition for me, so if anyone had any other general information about the school or what it's like, I would really appreciate it!
Hi! Congrats on your acceptance. I was accepted as well and went to the Blue and Gold days in December. It was only myself and two other people and we met with Dr. Baird and one other professor. They took us around the facility and showed us some class rooms. It was a very nice space! I am from Alabama so Pittsburgh would be a big adjustment for me as well. I am waiting to hear from UTC, but Pittsburgh is such a great program so I am having a hard time deciding. I am not sure about the dress code or much else about how the program works, so if you find out anything, let me know!