Pituitary Adenomas & Transsphenoidal Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

unknownquantity

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Am looking for a little help on a rather complex assignment I am looking at; it is based around a girl of 13 years old who has been diagnosed with an acidophil tumour of the anterior pituitary gland. I am told that "the tumour was removed using a surgical approach that split the nasal septum, opened the sphenoidal air sinus and broke through into the sella turcica. The girl made a good recovery, but complained that since her operation her left eye and left nostril had become dry and sore".

I have managed to pick my way through journals and texts to find answers to most of the questions I was trying to answer, but am still a little confused about one of them. I am asked "Using your anatomical knowledge and applying it to the approach taken by the surgeon, explain the post-operative signs exhibited by the patient". Considering there is dryness, I associated this with a lack of secretomotor innervation to the eye / nasal mucosa, which led me to believe the gtr petrosal nerve may have been damaged. Is this correct, and if so, how could the damage have been caused? I can't work it out!

Thanks for your help,

Kev.
 
Ok, thanks.. I've been digging around a little more, and the best I could come up with was that the damage had occurred somewhere between the geniculate ganglion and the foramen lacerum, as I THINK that's where the nerve passes closest to the sphenoid sinus? If anyone could confirm / clarify, would much appreciate it. 🙂
 
It wouldn't have to be in the sphenoid. In that procedure, you break the septum, drill thru the sphenoid, and into the suprasellar cistern.