Neurology and surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakarrott

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I was wondering if there is some speciality or possibility of combining specialities that would allow me to do both brainstorming over normal diseases as much as surgical procedures.
I have seen somewhere that neurologists just thinks and neurosurgeons just cuts.
I hope I made myself clear enough for you to understand :)

Members don't see this ad.

What is brainstorming over normal diseases mean? You can be a neurosurgeon who does research.

But research is different from sitting around saying, "Dude, how do aphasic patients think without language, man? Woah."

Nice name, OP :)

So, are you saying you want a blend of neurology and neurosurgery? Or maybe both sound good and you are wanting clarity regarding which is the right speciality for you. I have to say that for me the only way to finally decide was to spend good time doing both specialties. You will decide whether you want to be primarily a surgeon or not.

Within the realm neurology, I think there are a lot of great options for you. You can do more research into each of these:

You could do neurocritical care, taking care of very sick patients, doing procedures, and working closely with neurosurgeons.

You could do interventional neuroradiology and spend loads of time doing procedures within the cranium endovascularly.

You could be a general neurologist and do EMGs and Botox for migraine and movement disorders, along with nerve blocks. Not really surgical procedures but still.

You could do epilepsy and help plan people's surgeries, deciding which parts of the brain are fine to remove in order to stop seizures.

You could go into movement and do the procedures referred to above and be in the OR for DBS placement.

You could go into pain and do lots of intervention. Even sewing up multiple layers of tissue putting in spinal cord stimulators! (Rarely, I think.)

You could go into intraoperative monitoring and help during surgeries by monitoring the nerves close to the action, although you wouldn't be doing the procedure.

You could go into neurooncology and go to tumor boards to discuss optimum medical and surgical treatment plans.

I think that's all I got.

Reactions: 4 users