? Place on the web to buy Opthalmoscope and other supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SubAtomicStringTheory

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good place on the web to buy a ophthalmoscope, stethoscope etc... ??? Also what are the good brand names and are they worth buying for medical school. Are they used much during the third and forth years or do you just use the equipment on site????

Members don't see this ad.

Try Welch ALlyns site. ALso take a look at Steeles.com.

SubAtomic...--From the students I have talked to, they say that you can use the equipment on sight or borrow from a friend. If you really need the equipment, some schools have reps who visit at the beginning of the year with some good deals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welch-Allyn provides considerable discounts to medical and optometry students through their website, but you may get an even better deal when your school may bring in reps, probably during the first semester. However, you are right that most locations will provide on-site equipment that they may actually require you to use. Besides, you will not be able to carry your bag with you everywhere. However, you DO need the equipment so that you can practice with it and become proficient in its use.

Another site that I use for some equipment is <a href="http://www.Allheart.com" target="_blank">www.Allheart.com</a>

do yourself a huge favor and buy your equipment used. as previously stated most rotations in hospitals and clinics will have the equipment there. you really need good stethoscope so i would suggest a littman III or something comparable. i bought my opthalmoscope/otoscope used for 100 bucks while my classmates paid 400 bucks their. it was the same brand and everything except mine was a few years old. if you ask me the discount that welch-allyn gives you isn't that good of a deal.

This poses another question...

When to buy a stethoscope and the other equipment?

I will be starting PCOM in August. How long until I need to dish out some $$?

Thanx

MOZ-
I have a Littmann Master Classic II SE...Do you think that will be good enough, or should I get a III instead?

Anybody else have some input on this?

Hey JP, do yourself a favor and don't buy ANYTHING! They try to make you think that you need it immedietly and it's just not true. Your not going to need any of that stuff because they have some in the department for everyone to use. Just concentrate on trying to pass Anatomy and Biochemistry and save your money.

Before you buy anything if you are attending an Osteopathic Medical school you ought to contact your local SOMA Chapter (Student Osteopathic Medical Association). Most of the SOMA chapters will have an equipment sale and if you are a member you will get further discounts from those you will recieve when your school brings in the dealers. Every year here at KCOM we have the equipment sale in conjunction with our bookstore and our members get an even bigger discount than the non-members.

Like others have mentioned, it makes sense to wait to see what your school thinks you will need despite the fact that you want everything 'now' it is best if you wait.

Sweaty Paul

thanks fracky and Sweaty Paul!

:)

it's best to wait till you start school to buy your equipment. your school will tell you what you need when. at nova, we had to buy our stuff in september after we started our clinical prac. course. this discount that everyone keeps talking about didn't must not have been huge for us because most of my classmates shelled out nearly 700-800 dollars for all of their equipment. i only bought a stethoscope and bp cuff at the sale and the rest i bought used and i saved a ton. but i wouldn't worry about all this stuff now. enjoy your summer and good luck!! :)