Placed on hold, should I send updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1141407

This week I received emails from George Washington and Tulane telling me that my application has been reviewed and they have decided to put me on a hold list for re-review later. Tulane also mentioned in the email that I am able to send updates through the applicant portal.

Since submitting my primary, I have started two new volunteering gigs, both being non-medical. I believe the weakest part of my app was probably the lowish amount of nonclinical volunteering. Would it be worth sending this update to them to also show I'm very interested in their schools? Or would it be better to wait until later in the cycle and save these updates incase I get waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no way that anything meaningful has occurred in the one month since your primary that would warrant an update. Wait another month or two and then submit an update with a specific number of hours.

Reactions: 3 users
There is no way that anything meaningful has occurred in the one month since your primary that would warrant an update. Wait another month or two and then submit an update with a specific number of hours.
This ^^^^. Meaningful volunteer gigs that move the needle on an application are usually engaged in for months and years prior to a primary submission, not weeks and months after a secondary. You send an update when you have something significant to say, and that is not typically immediately after receiving a Hold notification, which, for the record, is far more often than not a soft-R.

My advice would be to not focus so much on the Holds, and to send updates when you have something meaningful to say, not anytime you have anything. Next spring, if you happen to find yourself on a few WLs, would certainly be a good time, after you have another 6 or so months worth of experiences and accomplishments to talk about.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This ^^^^. Meaningful volunteer gigs that move the needle on an application are usually engaged in for months and years prior to a primary submission, not weeks and months after a secondary. You send an update when you have something significant to say, and that is not typically immediately receiving a Hold notification, which, for the record, is far more often than not a soft-R.

My advice would be to not focus so much on the Holds, and to send updates when you have something meaningful to say, not anytime you have anything. Next spring, if you happen to find yourself on a few WLs, would certainly be a good time, after you have another 6 or so months worth of experiences and accomplishments to talk about.
So then how can I continue to show interest in the schools and make sure they look at my application again? Is my only option for now to try and attend open houses and stuff like that?

So then how can I continue to show interest in the schools and make sure they look at my application again? Is my only option for now to try and attend open houses and stuff like that?
You can’t make them look at your application again. They know you are interested because you applied and paid the secondary fee—they’ll call YOU if THEY are interested.

The honest truth is that your application is what it is. If you applied with a known deficiency, that was a risk you took. In general you should consider any activities that you are doing now as preparation in case you need to apply again. If you’re going to send an update, then actions speak louder than words—send the update after a few months when you’ve actually done a decent number of hours, not “I plan to do x hours in the coming months.”

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Don't you already have 2 II's? You mentioned that in a previous thread.

You did not submit a WAMC, and both of those schools gets a ton of applications. I'd focus on the IIs you have.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Don't you already have 2 II's? You mentioned that in a previous thread.

You did not submit a WAMC, and both of those schools gets a ton of applications. I'd focus on the IIs you have.
Yes but I know that interview invites don’t mean acceptances so that’s why I’m still trying to be proactive with other schools. I feel like I’ve already done a lot to prepare for the interviews and don’t want to be too prepared, and thus come off as rehearsed.

Would you suggest I focus on giving more love to those schools that have given me II? Both of them are out of state, would it be a good idea to make a trip to those schools? I don’t want to come off a desperate but I love those schools and really want to show them that. I’m not supposed to hear back till October.

Would you suggest I focus on giving more love to those schools that have given me II? Both of them are out of state, would it be a good idea to make a trip to those schools? I don’t want to come off a desperate but I love those schools and really want to show them that. I’m not supposed to hear back till October.
You couldn't scream that you're desperate any louder. The bolded gets into almost stalkerish behavior.

Chill and be patient, and work on improving your app.

You couldn't scream that you're desperate any louder. The bolded gets into almost stalkerish behavior.

Chill and be patient, and work on improving your app.
Well I was thinking about asking for a tour of the schools and also checking out the cities, given that I’ve never been to them and the interviews are virtual.

Well I was thinking about asking for a tour of the schools and also checking out the cities, given that I’ve never been to them and the interviews are virtual.
There was a recent thread that asked whether going to visit a school where someone had received an interview invitation would be appropriate--I came down squarely on the side that this would look very weird and would be more of a burden on the school rather than make them see you as "interested." This goes triple for a school that has placed you on hold.

It's impossible to know without more information, but as noted above these schools get a ton of applications and are generally low yield. If you already have two IIs, it is possible you are a strong applicant and are just getting yield protected--probably appropriately so, because no matter how much you may want to maximize your chances, you may well prefer the schools where you already have interviews. If you really and truly have a reason to be interested in these two specific schools, then again I recommend you send an update in a few months when you potentially have something to update.

If you are NOT specifically interested in these two schools, then just move on--you're not going to get interviews at every single school you applied to. You can't act desperately every time that you get placed on hold or don't hear back from a school. Focus your energies on places that DO invite you to interview.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Yes but I know that interview invites don’t mean acceptances so that’s why I’m still trying to be proactive with other schools. I feel like I’ve already done a lot to prepare for the interviews and don’t want to be too prepared, and thus come off as rehearsed.

When you garden, often you plant four seeds in the hopes that one will germinate. When one of them sprouts, you weed out the other three so the one remaining plant can grow. If you don't, the sprout would likely not grow as well and die, so you have four dead plants.

Move forward. I often fail at gardening because I don't weed soon enough or I get greedy waiting for another sprout. Don't be like that and risk not getting an A.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Continuing...

I missed this: are both interviews virtual? If they aren't, I guess you wouldn't ask this question. Ask your schools about future recruitment events on campus that you could attend. You should have plenty of information that gives you an idea about the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Continuing...

I missed this: are both interviews virtual? If they aren't, I guess you wouldn't ask this question. Ask your schools about future recruitment events on campus that you could attend. You should have plenty of information that gives you an idea about the school.

Yes they are. Thank you about mentioning to ask about future recruitment events that I could attend! Would it be a good idea to ask this during the end of an interview, when the interviewer wants me to ask them questions? Or rather during the Q&A session at the very end of the interview day?

Yes they are. Thank you about mentioning to ask about future recruitment events that I could attend! Would it be a good idea to ask this during the end of an interview, when the interviewer wants me to ask them questions? Or rather during the Q&A session at the very end of the interview day?
Have they not already posted recruitment events upcoming? I'd ask the admissions office if they haven't posted that information yet. They probably haven't so you could be patient. The interviewer probably won't know.

The admissions team will know better than the faculty except the admissions dean if there are recruitment events coming up. Current students likely know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I urge you NOT to ask about future recruitment events. while you are literally being recruited during an interview day. It is presumptuous to assume they will want to recruit you after the interview, and your time to shine is right there, right then!

Rest assured -- if the school is interested in you, they know where to find you. They will invite you to anything they want you to attend, like the interview itself.

You demonstrate your interest in and fit for the school through your application, interview, etc. Begging for additional opportunities to beg is not going to help you if they don't otherwise want you. They all have thousands of applicants to review. Constantly seeking ways to get yourself in front of them is not going to endear you to them.

Last edited:
  • Love
I urge you NOT to ask about future recruitment events. while you are literally being recruited during an interview day. It is presumptuous to assume they will want to recruit you after the interview, and your time to shine is right there, right then!

Rest assured -- if the school is interested in you, they know where to find you. They will invite you to anything they want you to attend, like the interview itself.

You demonstrate your interest in and fit for the school through your application, interview, etc. Begging for additional opportunities to beg is not going to help you if they don't otherwise want you. They all have thousands of applicants to review. Constantly seeking ways to get yourself in front of them is not going to endear you to them.
So what do you all mean then by focusing on the schools that have sent me IIs? How can I focus on them and simultaneously not do anything and wait patiently?

So what do you all mean then by focusing on the schools that have sent me IIs? How can I focus on them and simultaneously not do anything and wait patiently?
Read up on the schools and their values (not just what's on the website), speak with current students to gauge the vibe, practice your interview skills, beef up on your research projects/interests (if you've got them), and read up on bioethics + current issues in healthcare, etc. There's literally an unlimited number of things you can do before your interview to make sure you feel as ready as possible to kill that ish. Just don't over-rehearse your answers.

FWIW I'm prepping for 3 interviews, and I'm going to do everything in my power to convert one of those into an A vs. worrying about the other 37 schools I applied to. All it takes is one.

• Love
Read up on the schools and their values (not just what's on the website), speak with current students to gauge the vibe, practice your interview skills, beef up on your research projects/interests (if you've got them), and read up on bioethics + current issues in healthcare, etc. There's literally an unlimited number of things you can do before your interview to make sure you feel as ready as possible to kill that ish. Just don't over-rehearse your answers.

FWIW I'm prepping for 3 interviews, and I'm going to do everything in my power to convert one of those into an A vs. worrying about the other 37 schools I applied to. All it takes is one.
Right, I was thinking more after the interview what should I do.

Right, I was thinking more after the interview what should I do.
Hmm, not sure there. I was planning to just focus on doubling down on my ECs until decisions came out, to have a juicy update letter in case of a WL.

Kindly, I think you need to get comfortable with the fact that beyond performing well in your interviews and providing an update letter if you have significant updates later in the year, there is nothing else you can do at this point to change your chances of acceptance at any individual school.

• Love
At this point in the cycle, waiting really is the hardest part. The time to improve your application is before you submit it. Believe it or not, there really is not much to do right now, other than prepare for your interviews and wait patiently for the adcoms to get to you and make an II decision.

Some adcoms don't play the update game and flat out refuse to accept them. Others only take them after you receive an II. Most, however, will indulge you and allow you to submit whatever you want, or allow you to submit with limitations.

This does not mean they stop what they are doing whenever anyone sends them anything, so don't fall into the trap of thinking you constantly have to be doing something to demonstrate interest. You don't. Your application was your demonstration of interest. The ball is now in their court.

At any point in the cycle, the waiting is brutal. But that's kind of what you signed up for when applying for something that takes a year to "process." (Referring to having to apply a year in advance to be admitted). You'll always be waiting, whether that be for your upcoming interview, waiting for an initial decision, waiting to get off the waitlist, waiting for an acceptance, waiting to even start school. That's the hardest part of this game, so like everyone else said, do what you can to use your time productively instead of mindless stressing over things that are out of your hands/control (because the ball is in the schools' court). I waited and didn't get in until this past June but I still got in. Of course, all advice given is easier said than done, but really, don't be that person harping over what you can do to "speed things up" and keep interest when plenty of people haven't even heard from a single school yet. It's really early in the process, so just breathe and focus on something meaningful that'll occupy you.

• Love
This week I received emails from George Washington and Tulane telling me that my application has been reviewed and they have decided to put me on a hold list for re-review later. Tulane also mentioned in the email that I am able to send updates through the applicant portal.

Since submitting my primary, I have started two new volunteering gigs, both being non-medical. I believe the weakest part of my app was probably the lowish amount of nonclinical volunteering. Would it be worth sending this update to them to also show I'm very interested in their schools? Or would it be better to wait until later in the cycle and save these updates incase I get waitlisted?
I respectfully disagree with my highly esteemed SDN colleagues. I recently interviewed Mike Woodson, Director of Admissions at Tulane School of Medicine for Admissions Straight Talk. He said "We totally encourage updates... Our process is longer by nature because of that so there are going to be a lot of times where they’re not going to hear anything from us and I know they’re anxious if it makes them feel better, they can submit 50 updates if they want to. We’re going to look at them and we totally encourage it."

He didn't say how much weight he gives to those updates, but if you are concerned that your non-clinical community service is on the low side and that's a weakness, I encourage you to send an update. It shouldn't require a lot of time, and it's addressing a potential weakness in your application. Unless you write something stupid or sloppy, it can't hurt.

I wouldn't send in tons of updates, and as my colleagues pointed out, one month of experience is not going to be as compelling as months or years, but it says you are addressing a weakness. Then let a few months pass and reflect on the experience in another update, if you are still on hold.

I can't comment on GW. See if you can find some statement on their web site regarding openness to updates. Medical schools vary enormously on these policies.

Last edited:

If a school tells you that you are on hold and says you can send up-dates during the cycle, that would signal to me that they want to hear from you as a demonstration of your continued interest. If they have to choose from among 30 applicants for 10 interview slots, they just might choose from among those who have sent up-dates.

I respectfully disagree with my highly esteemed SDN colleagues. I recently interviewed Mike Woodson, Director of Admissions at Tulane School of Medicine for Admissions Straight Talk. He said "We totally encourage updates... Our process is longer by nature because of that so there are going to be a lot of times where they’re not going to hear anything from us and I know they’re anxious if it makes them feel better, they can submit 50 updates if they want to. We’re going to look at them and we totally encourage it."

He didn't say how much weight he gives to those updates, but if you are concerned that your non-clinical community service is on the low side and that's a weakness, I encourage you to send an update. It shouldn't require a lot of time, and it's addressing a potential weakness in your application. Unless you write something stupid or sloppy, it can't hurt.

I wouldn't send in tons of updates, and as my colleagues pointed out, one month of experience is not going to be as compelling as months or years, but it says you are addressing a weakness. Then let a few months pass and reflect on the experience in another update, if you are still on hold.

I can't comment on GW. See if you can find some statement on their web site regarding openness to updates. Medical schools vary enormously on these policies.
Also, not all schools want updates. I'll add Tulane to my list of the needy schools though.

I'll agree but conditionally. We like to know you are still there after offers go out and we need to fill holes in our interview day rosters. But you should check with schools first... not all of them want updates unless they say they do.

Gtown
Mayo
U Penn
Ah, well I’m glad I asked. I have an interview with Mayo next month, so I better start figuring out what I’m going to throw on an update letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, well I’m glad I asked. I have an interview with Mayo next month, so I better start figuring out what I’m going to throw on an update letter.
Not just you but also @leroysinclair: just remember to ask them what they want to see in an update letter at your interview day. I would always make sure I ended interview days by telling candidates "what happens next in the process" and what you should update the adcom about.