Placement exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WithHeart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken placement exams in college for any courses or to waive any requirements, I was wondering -- do the scores go on your transcript?

My school requires us to take two years of a foreign language. I will be taking the placement exam for Spanish soon although I'm a bit rusty, since the last time I took the language was in high school 3 years ago. I took it for 3 years but haven't practiced it since I graduated (from high school). Eek.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most schools that let you opt out of classes by taking exams do NOT put those classes on your transcripts. The exams are either to (a) fulfill a pre-requisite for a course you're trying to get into, thus allowing you to skip the pre-req, or (b) to let you place out of something stupid like a foreign language, humanities, or other arguably-unnecessary class. In most cases, if you need X credits to graduate, passing out of a class will not count towards those X credits because you didn't actually get credit for the class. Pretty much, however you look at it, you're going to need to ask your school how they do things, but expect to hear a big fat "no." :(