places to live for drexel med (MS1)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i hear manayunk is happenin...would anyone recommend living there or is it more a place you want to go out?
 
i hear manayunk is happenin...would anyone recommend living there or is it more a place you want to go out?

I PERSONALLY wouldn't live there, just because the hills in Manayunk are ridiculous. Plus, the traffic and parking can be a hassle in the morning and evening. I don't go directly to Main St that often, but I drive around the neighborhood alot, and I'm not crazy about it. It's definitely more for a younger crowd.

BUT that being said, Manayunk is a neighborhood like any other, and one block could be very much different than another. I do know people who live in Manayunk and they seem to love it- students included. And I did at one point check out an apartment there that was REALLy cute, with brick walls and wood floors for $700 bux, but the vibe just wasn't me. It's one of those neighborhoods that you have to visit to see if you could live there.
 
Hi everyone! I'm currently a second year student at Drexel, so to address some of the things brought up here:

If you think crime isn't an issue in the area around school, you're out of your mind. Theres been so many break ins and robberies in the area that Drexel highly recommends you never walk alone at night. Theres even a sign on a street post right by Park Heights/Marchwood apartments that suggests you dont park there because there are so many break ins.

Regarding the use of a car: I went about a year and a half without a car before bringing mine from home, and although it wasn't impossible, it was definitely a huge hassle. Having to rely on other people for rides to all of the things we had to do at hospitals/nursing homes/etc was definitely a pain. Drexel provides an escort service which can pick you up/drop you off 24/7, but that was a big pain too. Sometimes you'd have to wait 20-30 minutes for them to pick you up.

Regarding Alden Park: I currently live in Hathaway, and I know a number of people who live at Alden. I'll admit, the buildings themselves look pretty amazing from the outside, but the quality is definitely subpar. Amongst the frequent complaints I've heard: the outdated utilities (you'll pay a couple hundred dollars per month in the winter to freeze your ass off with heaters that dont work).. the quality of the building (windows creak and dont close, appliances tend not to work, the hallways/maintenance of the building isnt great).. and a recent complaint has been the lack of security. Alden used to have doormen in each of their buildings, but they were replaced with an electronic entry system. Residents have been really upset with that, and a number of other complaints have been filed with the management. They were doing construction on the buildings, and people had their cars frequently broken into IN THE ALDEN LOT by construction workers. Management hasn't responded, and I know that a number of residents are coming together to complain about the way issues have been handled.

By comparison (shameless plug): Hathaway has EXCELLENT management, the rooms are bigger, newer, and better quality than Alden, the security guards are great and courteous, and in my two years here I've never heard a single complaint about the building.

And just to throw this out there: if any of you happen to be looking for a place to live next year, I have a 2 bed/2 bath in Hathaway, and my roommate is going to be leaving next year, so I'm looking for someone to take over his lease. Msg me if you're interested, and if you have any other general questions about the area/housing/etc feel free to ask!