Placing implants in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw a thread earlier on Monday with no responses but didn't wanna hijack it so I created a new thread.

Do dental schools allow you to place implants on patients while you're in D3-D4? I know many schools allow you to set/place implant crowns, but not so much drilling on the patient....

I know ASDOH has a module on implantology and implantology lab as a D2 but wondering if there's opportunities to place implants in a non-simulated scenario.

USC claims to make setting implants as a graduation requirement, which I was told on their campus tour, but I'm not quite sure the dean's following through with that, along with the fact that I don't see it as part of their curriculum on their website.

If schools don't provide the opportunity, are there ways of getting more experience without having to specialize? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
if you're aggressive about it and don't mind flying under the faculty's radar you can

I placed two in my patient who I was doing their restorative but I was bros with the OMFS residents

Reactions: 1 users
You are more likely to place implants in schools that dont have any specialties to take them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many do at NYU. One classmate has placed around 15 already.

Many do at NYU. One classmate has placed around 15 already.
Too bad NYU rejected me, lol.

You are more likely to place implants in schools that dont have any specialties to take them.
That makes sense, ASDOH only has ortho and pedo; hopefully that translates into more opportunities.

if you're aggressive about it and don't mind flying under the faculty's radar you can
I've been told this quite a bit from recent and older dentists--be aggressive about looking for opportunities to learn new things.

Roseman does. They'll let you place as many as you can treatment plan.

I would think nowadays every school would be placing implants. That would be a substandard education if they don't IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if implants are the standard of care soon.

Reactions: 3 users
At Midwestern-AZ it is expected that you place implants in patients. Currently we have a clinical study that lets us place one implant in two patients free of charge to the patients. Each and every D3-D4 student gets to do this. Most students also place implants outside of the study as well, although the patient has to pay for it.

At Midwestern-AZ it is expected that you place implants in patients. Currently we have a clinical study that lets us place one implant in two patients free of charge to the patients. Each and every D3-D4 student gets to do this. Most students also place implants outside of the study as well, although the patient has to pay for it.
For real?? Wow that is an awesome education.

Does this mean you decided on ASDOH?
Yes, just declined USC after much hemming and hawwing. I feel more at peace living in Phoenix for the next 4 years than facing 405/10 traffic and high COL/saturation in LA.

Reactions: 1 users