Placing out of first year classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just read the post on "what to do before matriculate" and I saw that some people were saying its possible to place out of some classes.

I was a biochemistry major in undergrad (philo minor go figure!) and I was wondering if I can at least take the test to get out of biochem?
I've taken the following courses to obtain my degree:
1.chemical thermodynamics
2.physical biochemistry
3.protein biochemistry and cell metabolism
4.nucleic acids and molecular biology
(I also did a massive amount of independent research in biochemistry)

I wrote a 150 page thesis and published my research which was all protein biochemistry. (biosynthesis and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy of 13C labeled hemes in sperm whale myoglobin)

I don't know if this is enough to test out of medical school biochem but BOY WOULD I LOVE IT IF IT WAS~!! A woman that graduated from my undergrad institute just wrote my premed advisor (shes in Vet school now) and said that biochem there was a joke after taking her (my premed advisors) biochem classes. (You would NOT BELIEVE HOW DIFFICULT MY UNDERGRAD BIOCHEM CLASSES WERE!!)

Any advice would be appreciated and if anyone knows.. how would I go about asking to place out of it if its possible?

thank you
smile.gif

poet

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to find out about placing out of classes is to call your school
and ask (contact the chair of biochem) however, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
There were a number of people in my class with MASTERS' degrees in various
sciences (I know of at least one with a MS in biochem) and at least two for
whom med school was their second medical profession (we had a vet, and a
pharmacist). No one ever placed out of any class.

Hi Deb,

Thanks for that information
smile.gif
I will just suffer through more biochem classes haha Hopefully my background will at least soften the blow of the extensive material though!!

I appreciate your comments and the time you took to reply
smile.gif

Sincerely,
poet

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you can place out of it, I would "take it" anyway. You're still paying the same tuition so why not use it to boost your average?

Hmmmm, Justwannabe...I just took the same BioChem you took & I can't imagine that being considered a potential GPA booster! LMAO!!

Anyhow, like the above posters stated, it is unlikely to place out of much, if any, med school courses. In my class, I know of at least 1 PharmD [as well as 2 in the class before me] and 1 with an MS in BioChem. One of the previous class' PharmDs even taught at a med school prior to coming here! None of them were allowed to place out of any courses.

Sit back and enjoy the journey with your compadres. One of the great things about med school is that you will discover your academics strengths and weaknesses...as will your classmates. Then you barter off help in your strong suits for help in areas that prove to more of a challenge to you.

Scratching one another's backs...

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited 01-09-2000).]

Poet,

I was at NYCOM for an interview last week and asked if placing out is possible. Unfortunately, they don't do it.
I've got my fingers crossed and hopefully I see you there in the fall.

Where are you going to school Poet?

If you can place out, you should! You would have much less of a stressful semester!!! Believe me, your first semester is the worst! I wish I had taken the waiver exam for biochem. Some people in my class did pass out. Also, a number of people passed out of genetics. You must study but it's perfectly feasible.

Good luck!

Hi Susan,

Im going to NYCOM too!! Maybe I will see you there
smile.gif
2bedoc...thanks for the info, unfortunately someone said you can't pass out of classes at NYCOM
frown.gif

thank you for all the posts
smile.gif

poet