plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxicet

warning: I'm addictive!
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a plan B just in case I don't get into pharmacy school... and I just got back from Austin from a job interview for a position at the TX dept of health headquarters, and I had to drive 18 hours round trip to realize an apparent paradox:

You can't get an apartment without a job, and you can't get a job without an apartment. :mad:

I had let them know on my application that the earliest I could move to Austin was November 1st, yet my interviewer told me that they needed to fill the position immediately. Why did she even call me for an interview then??? She said my interview went very well, and that I am very qualified, but she may have to hire someone less qualified than me if they can start earlier!
+pissed+

Looks like I BETTER get into pharmacy school....or move to Austin before I apply for a job there again...but again, how can I get an apartment without a job? :(

Members don't see this ad.

For some reason, I thought this was going to be a topic about the morning after pill.

Originally posted by GravyRPH
For some reason, I thought this was going to be a topic about the morning after pill.
LOL, me too.

Members don't see this ad :)
posted by Modnar

Noooo. :laugh: Oops. I've never heard the morning after pill referred to as "plan B" before. Depo Provera is my friend. :)

No, don't worry. I was thinking about your plan B. Cause I need a plan B too.

Why were you applying for a job in such a far place? Do you know anyone there? I'm sure you can find an apt if you do get the job.

I was thinking about getting a job too, just in case, y'know. But now, I've been offered a job at the Rite Aid pharmacy in Davis, CA. And I'm graduating from UCD this Dec.

I was planning to go back to Fresno and find a job in a pharmacy. But now I'm offered this job and I'm not sure if I should take it.

I mean I could take it and stay here, but I'd have to look for another place (cause I'm not living w/ strangers) and register to take some classes here. But I want to go back home and torturously stay with my family b/c I know that will probably be the last time I'll be staying there that long, considering I'll be off again in school and by the time I finish I plan to get married.

What am I talking about again? Sorry, if I confused you. My friends have told me that my thoughts and phone msg's are long-winded.

Anyhow, if I don't get into pharm school, I was still going to work in a pharmacy or get a job at some biotech company. Work on the 'working' part of my ap and apply to pharm and med school. One of them has got to enroll me. haha. Wishful thinking, but you never know.

Don't let your hopes up.

-Mimi

posted by mimnguyen
Why were you applying for a job in such a far place? Do you know anyone there? I'm sure you can find an apt if you do get the job.

I want to stay in Texas, just in case I do get into UT by some miracle, I need to keep my residency status as a Texan. Unfortunately, El Paso is the stepchild of Texas...the rest of Texas barely claims us as their own. ;) I am anywhere from 8-11 hours away from Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. It's closer to California from here than to the other side of Texas.

My problem is that I get paid by soft money (research grants) that is running out, and I'm losing my job on January 31st. I probably won't know if I've been accepted to any pharm school by then. There are no other jobs in El Paso. I applied out of town thinking that it takes a few months to get hired somewhere. So I went to this interview, and they wanted me to start next week! :eek: I just can't! My situation is very complicated and not working is not an option for me. I wanted a job that I could make a career out of in case the pharm thing doesn't work out, and I could move up pretty high at the TX dept of health.

I'm really stressed out right now. :(

You should apply again in January, move down, up, or over there, since you're applying to Austin. However, I'd feel guilty if I gave off the impression that I was going to work there permanently.

I think you can still work in CA and claim TX residency. You'd probably have to do a little more research on that. That could be a 2nd alternative.

Stop worrying too much! :cool: Taking the road less traveled will still get you to where you want to be. What's the fun in taking the road everyone has paved out?

could you get someone to cosign your lease? that's what i did when i moved to austin before starting grad school. apartments there also seem to charge a hefty deposit, which might substitute for the fact that you don't have a job yet. it's harder to get an apartment without a job, but i don't think it's an insurmountable problem. good luck with the job or with school!

Thanks for your advice mimi and exlawgrrl. I'm glad I finally found someone from Austin. :)

posted by mimnguyen
Stop worrying too much! Taking the road less traveled will still get you to where you want to be. What's the fun in taking the road everyone has paved out?

Well, taking the road less traveled in Texas will get you hacked to pieces by a chainsaw. ;)

Mimi, PLEASE don't get married! :scared:

Originally posted by karmapatroL
Mimi, PLEASE don't get married! :scared:

Thanks for the nudge. I won't get married until I have a secure job, for the reason that I would feel weird to ask my parents for money if I were married.

I'm praying for you in hopes that everything works out in your favor!

Mimi