Plan for Hem/Onc Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just matched into a solid University (probably mid-tier from what ive heard) IM residency. I really want to do Hem/Onc. I graduated from a Caribbean school but am a US citizen. How should approach Intern year to point me in the direction of getting a solid university fellowship? I asked for my mentor to be from Hem/Onc, im going to request a Hem/Onc elective in my first year. should i try to get involved with research from the start or wait a while?

also, how much with the Caribbean school hurt me come fellowship application. I have no delusions of thinking i have a shot at places like Sloan, Farber etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I just matched into a solid University (probably mid-tier from what ive heard) IM residency. I really want to do Hem/Onc. I graduated from a Caribbean school but am a US citizen. How should approach Intern year to point me in the direction of getting a solid university fellowship? I asked for my mentor to be from Hem/Onc, im going to request a Hem/Onc elective in my first year. should i try to get involved with research from the start or wait a while?

also, how much with the Caribbean school hurt me come fellowship application. I have no delusions of thinking i have a shot at places like Sloan, Farber etc.

People generally say that you can wait until the spring of your intern year before hitting the research gig hard. But I think the earlier the better - be on the lookout for possible mentors and projects from day one. Your job is not to say "no" to any potential projects that are feasible. You can start by identifying target faculty on the website in the section that seem like they have active research portfolios and by asking your program director who previous residents have had success working with in the past.

A lot of people blindly say "research in the spring of intern year" without accounting for your schedule. If you are backloaded with a lot of service heavy months in the spring then this makes no sense - you want to use those lighter months to get some research productivity done. Keep this in mind when dealing with people to give you free advice.

People are going to care a lot more about your residency program than where your med schooling was done.

People generally say that you can wait until the spring of your intern year before hitting the research gig hard. But I think the earlier the better - be on the lookout for possible mentors and projects from day one. Your job is not to say "no" to any potential projects that are feasible. You can start by identifying target faculty on the website in the section that seem like they have active research portfolios and by asking your program director who previous residents have had success working with in the past.

A lot of people blindly say "research in the spring of intern year" without accounting for your schedule. If you are backloaded with a lot of service heavy months in the spring then this makes no sense - you want to use those lighter months to get some research productivity done. Keep this in mind when dealing with people to give you free advice.

People are going to care a lot more about your residency program than where your med schooling was done.

Thanks for the advice. I will see what my schedule is within the next week and make sure to meet with my mentor very early so they can help guide me so i can strengthen my applications.

Also, I should absoultely do a Hem/Onc elective during my intern year, right? Do people tend to do visiting electives at the end of their second year or is that not that big of a deal. I feel like it never ends, i started clinicals worrying about learning medicine and doing all the right things to get a good residency. Now I'm worrying about becoming a good doctor and dong all the right things to get a good fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I will see what my schedule is within the next week and make sure to meet with my mentor very early so they can help guide me so i can strengthen my applications.

Also, I should absoultely do a Hem/Onc elective during my intern year, right? Do people tend to do visiting electives at the end of their second year or is that not that big of a deal. I feel like it never ends, i started clinicals worrying about learning medicine and doing all the right things to get a good residency. Now I'm worrying about becoming a good doctor and dong all the right things to get a good fellowship.

If you have the time protected by your program during your intern year I don't see the drawback of doing it but I wouldn't get too upset if you don't get it for whatever reason. I don't know of people doing visiting electives at the end of their second year but my experience is limited by the strength of my program and my level of training - I'm also an intern.

should absoultely do a Hem/Onc elective during my intern year, right? Do people tend to do visiting electives at the end of their second year or is that not that big of a deal..

Visiting electives will be up to your program. If you have a hem/onc program at your residency, they're unlikely to let you go elsewhere for the experience. But if you don't have a fellowship there (or can BS your way into really wanting to do a BMT rotation...which nobody really does), end of R2 is a pretty good time. You'll be fresh in that PDs mind when you apply in August and you'll be at your clinical best.

Thanks guys. Yes, we have a Hem/Onc program at my University

Thanks guys. Yes, we have a Hem/Onc program at my University

Then if you really want to do an "away" rotation, you'll have to find something that your program doesn't have (BMT, Phase 1) in order to sell it. Otherwise your residency program is unlikely to let you go since you can get the experience at home and it costs them money and time to let you go somewhere else.