Plan for Reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldentura

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hello,

This past cycle I applied to several MD schools with a 3.88/507 MCAT (ORM). Currently, I am accepted to an MD program. However, I've been having trouble sleeping at night knowing that my MCAT score is slightly below the medium of said school (512). In order to ensure I am properly prepared for medical school, I was going to do the following.

• Withdraw from the MD program next week. Upon withdrawal, I was going to study for a MCAT retake from Late June 2018 -- Early September 2018, and shoot for a 510++
  • From September 2018 outward, I was going to work for Scribe America and continue to build my ECs to apply to medical school starting next June
The reason why I was considering this is because:

1. I've been told by many of peers that the MCAT is very good at predicting one's performance in medical school and step 1. Thus the higher the MCAT I can get, the greater chance I'll succeed on step 1
  2. I've heard of several rumors that my institution pre-rank students before matriculation based on their stats. The higher the rank you are pre-matriculation, the earlier you'll be notified regarding enrichment opportunities throughout the ear, such as research etc. These opportunities play a role in the type of residency you get. Therefore, the higher my stats, the better the chance I'll get into a good residency
  3. A minor point: A lot of students share their MCAT scores to each other on the first day. With a higher score, my peers will be more fond of me
I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this or things I should consider in my plan. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is a terrible plan. Do not do this if you want to be a doctor ever.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Holy ****ing moly. This is a stupid ass idea.

Go to the school you were accepted at. End of discussion.

(Being extra blunt because I've seen a not insignificant number of these threads lately)

Edit: "with a higher score, my peers will be more fond of me" -- can someone just stab me in the aorta already I've seen more than enough for one lifetime

Reactions: 4 users
Hd4w.gif

this is the craziest and most stupidest idea ive ever heard.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro

Hahah. I just wanna see your response.

OP, do not do this. Please do not do this!! You’re accepted to an MD program, you are fine!! Be happy and take the acceptance!!

Imagine explaining this to schools.. “i reapplied to retake the MCAT because i didn’t think i was good enough with my score at the school I was accepted at”

Yikes.

Reactions: 3 users
Holy ****ing moly. This is a stupid ass idea.

Go to the school you were accepted at. End of discussion.

(Being extra blunt because I've seen a not insignificant number of these threads lately)

Edit: "with a higher score, my peers will be more fond of me" -- can someone just stab me in the aorta already I've seen more than enough for one lifetime
@Goro

Hahah. I just wanna see your response.

OP, do not do this. Please do not do this!! You’re accepted to an MD program, you are fine!! Be happy and take the acceptance!!
Wouldn't I be considered a new applicant at all other schools? I know I'm DOA if I try to reapply to the school I'm currently accepted at. Not so sure of the other ones. @Goro

1. I've been told by many of peers that the MCAT is very good at predicting one's performance in medical school and step 1. Thus the higher the MCAT I can get, the greater chance I'll succeed on step 1
Correlation != causation

Reactions: 1 users
You will still need to answer to yes to the question of whether you ever been accepted to medical school on AMCAS. Think about how your honest answer will sound to an interviewer, if the reactions here are any indication...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't I be considered a new applicant at all other schools? I know I'm DOA if I try to reapply to the school I'm currently accepted at. Not so sure of the other ones. @Goro
All other MD schools will know that you were accepted to that school, and all will most likely blacklist you no matter your reasons (which are pretty stupid by the way).

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

All other MD schools will know that you were accepted to that schools, and all will most likely blacklist you no matter your reason (which is pretty stupid by the way).

Sent from my SM-G950U using

That's kinda ridiculous. What types of things could I say instead that would be considered legitimate excuses? I've heard people do similar things for schools like CNU.

this has to be troll
Sorry if I come off that way. I just been very neurotic about things

If they accepted you, they think you can succeed there.

Hello,

This past cycle I applied to several MD schools with a 3.88/507 MCAT (ORM). Currently, I am accepted to an MD program. However, I've been having trouble sleeping at night knowing that my MCAT score is slightly below the medium of said school (512). In order to ensure I am properly prepared for medical school, I was going to do the following.

• Withdraw from the MD program next week. Upon withdrawal, I was going to study for a MCAT retake from Late June 2018 -- Early September 2018, and shoot for a 510++
  • From September 2018 outward, I was going to work for Scribe America and continue to build my ECs to apply to medical school starting next June

2. I've heard of several rumors that my institution pre-rank students before matriculation based on their stats. The higher the rank you are pre-matriculation, the earlier you'll be notified regarding enrichment opportunities throughout the ear, such as research etc. These opportunities play a role in the type of residency you get. Therefore, the higher my stats, the better the chance I'll get into a good residency
  3. A minor point: A lot of students share their MCAT scores to each other on the first day. With a higher score, my peers will be more fond of me
I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this or things I should consider in my plan. Thanks!!!

Almost a 1/10.

Almost a 1/10.
Not to be rude, but maybe instead of mocking my post, you could actually give some advice or your thoughts here? Interestingly, no one has actually provided any sound evidence against any of my reasons.

Not to be rude, but maybe instead of mocking my post, you could actually give some advice or your thoughts here? Interestingly, no one has actually provided any sound evidence against any of my reasons.
I can see that you are new here, but it's been said over and over on this website that withdrawing an acceptance just to reapply is a really bad idea, and I'm sure if you use the search bar you'll fine plenty of those threads laying around. But yea, there is no good reason to withdraw an acceptance unless it's to accept another offer from another MD school. Once you've been accepted, AMCAS will flag your account and all the subsequent schools you apply to will be able to see it, and the only thing any person at any admission committee at any school will ask themselves is "does he/she really wanna be a doctor?", and from there it will be really difficult to ever be able to get an acceptance because you'll be automatically blacklisted by everybody.

Reactions: 2 users
You make my head hurt.

What you just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things that I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, asinine post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this thread is dumber for having read it. We award you no points, and may Darwin have mercy on your soul.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

If youre not a troll, plenty of people have already clarified why your plan is bad. Read the posts and ingest them.

1. A minor point: A lot of students share their MCAT scores to each other on the first day. With a higher score, my peers will be more fond of me

Just lol

1. A minor point: A lot of students share their MCAT scores to each other on the first day. With a higher score, my peers will be more fond of me!
C'mon people, this guy isn't even a partially believable troll. He used the word fond in a sentence. That's troll language.

And while I recognize this could theoretically be a woman, only a "guy" could be so daft

Hello,

This is some of the most fallacious logic I've seen on this site--congratulations. Retaking the MCAT for a better score does not in itself improve your chances of "succeeding" on step 1. The correlation your friends are referring to is the positive relationship between high MCAT scores and high STEP scores. And for the record, the r^2 for that is nowhere near 1.

If you're going to be this neurotic about an MCAT score for a school you've already been accepted to, maybe it would behoove you to give up your MD seat to someone who actually wants to be a doctor, and not just have pissing contests with their classmates about their standardized test scores. Then you can take some years to mature, and try again at a carib or maybe DO school in the future. You will not get into another MD school in the future if you rescind your offer of acceptance now.

This is some of the most fallacious logic I've seen on this site--congratulations. Retaking the MCAT for a better score does not in itself improve your chances of "succeeding" on step 1. The correlation your friends are referring to is the positive relationship between high MCAT scores and high STEP scores. And for the record, the r^2 for that is nowhere near 1.

If you're going to be this neurotic about an MCAT score for a school you've already been accepted to, maybe it would behoove you to give up your MD seat to someone who actually wants to be a doctor, and not just have pissing contests with their classmates about their standardized test scores. Then you can take some years to mature, and try again at a carib or maybe DO school in the future. You will not get into another MD school in the future if you rescind your offer of acceptance now.

Would it make a difference if I told you that the school that I was accepted to was my local (20+ years) state school that I went to undergrad for? I'm partially worried because I almost feel as if that was the sole reason why I was interviewed and accepted there? Thus wouldn't it be in my best interest to make sure that this isn't the case

Would it make a difference if I told you that the school that I was accepted to was my local (20+ years) state school that I went to undergrad for? I'm partially worried because I almost feel as if that was the sole reason why I was interviewed and accepted there? Thus wouldn't it be in my best interest to make sure that this isn't the case
Yes. Rescind your acceptance. The person who gets your spot will be thrilled.

There is no greater example of book smart versus common sense than SDN.

What the hell...to me, it would be a miracle to get into an MD program with lower than average MCAT scores. Consider it as the universe's way of giving you a sign and take the MD!

Retaking the MCAT will not make you smarter...

This is a horrible plan. Do you really think your classmates will like you better with a higher MCAT score? If so, that’s a real problem you should look into.

I also never heard of students sharing their MCAT scores to each other in medical school. Like who really cares about that.

Rude is wasting everyone's time with bad trolling. You gotta put your back into it.

Makes no difference. How many interviews did you have? One acceptance- was it off a waitlist or an outright acceptance? Any other waitlists from interviews?

What makes you think you’ll do any better next cycle with all of your additional baggage. If you want to be a doctor go to med school next month. If not withdraw and let someone who desperately wants to be a doctor have a chance.

I also never heard of students sharing their MCAT scores to each other in medical school. Like who really cares about that.

In my two years of med school, it hasn’t come up one time. Or your GPA from UG, or your grades while in med school and I am assuming once we get them, step 1 scores. Nobody cares

So what if you were? Your school obviously has a high opinion of you.

I also think it may have helped gaining you an interview, i very much doubt it played a big role in an acceptance. You did that.

But by all means, withdraw and “prove them wrong.” You won’t be a USMD if you move forward with this plan.

1) This assumes that you will get into medical school again next cycle: there is no guarantee
2) since the national acceptance report is now discontinued, it is recommended that all schools specifically ask if you have previously applied to any medical school, where you will have to say, I was accepted and turned it down
3) medical schools want to see motivation and commitment . Since you already turned down a program acceptance, what is to say that you wont turn another one down
4) medical schools what to see good judgement. applying to a school with an MCAT score you dont like, then turning down an acceptance because of it, shows horribly bad judgement
5) the AAMC recommends that schools average MCAT scores and they do this because data has shown that STEP scores correlate with average MCAT scores.
6) In my decades of work in and around medical schools, I have never heard of any school ever using MCAT to offer matriculated student opportunities.

Overall, not only is this a sign of bad judgement, lack of commitment, and stinks of self-aggrandizing by worrying at all about what fellow students may think of you based on MCAT, but is just plain stupid. No one will care what your MCAT score is in medical school. And you now have an opportunity to go and you want to give it up.

Normally I would encourage you to keep it. But, no you should give up the seat. Give it up to someone else who grateful for it. But you better promise here and now that you will keep us informed of your progress in reapplying and tell us when you lose out next cycle. I will personally dog you in every post you ever make about this. So as my father would have said "**** or get off the pot"

So what if you were? Your school obviously has a high opinion of you.

I also think it may have helped gaining you an interview, i very much doubt it played a big role in an acceptance. You did that.

But by all means, withdraw and “prove them wrong.” You won’t be a USMD if you move forward with this plan.
I know 5 other people from my undergrad that were accepted

Makes no difference. How many interviews did you have? One acceptance- was it off a waitlist or an outright acceptance? Any other waitlists from interviews?

What makes you think you’ll do any better next cycle with all of your additional baggage. If you want to be a doctor go to med school next month. If not withdraw and let someone who desperately wants to be a doctor have a chance.
I had 5 MD IIs, 1 acceptance

1) This assumes that you will get into medical school again next cycle: there is no guarantee
2) since the national acceptance report is now discontinued, it is recommended that all schools specifically ask if you have previously applied to any medical school, where you will have to say, I was accepted and turned it down
3) medical schools want to see motivation and commitment . Since you already turned down a program acceptance, what is to say that you wont turn another one down
4) medical schools what to see good judgement. applying to a school with an MCAT score you dont like, then turning down an acceptance because of it, shows horribly bad judgement
5) the AAMC recommends that schools average MCAT scores and they do this because data has shown that STEP scores correlate with average MCAT scores.
6) In my decades of work in and around medical schools, I have never heard of any school ever using MCAT to offer matriculated student opportunities.

Overall, not only is this a sign of bad judgement, lack of commitment, and stinks of self-aggrandizing by worrying at all about what fellow students may think of you based on MCAT, but is just plain stupid. No one will care what your MCAT score is in medical school. And you now have an opportunity to go and you want to give it up.

Normally I would encourage you to keep it. But, no you should give up the seat. Give it up to someone else who grateful for it. But you better promise here and now that you will keep us informed of your progress in reapplying and tell us when you lose out next cycle. I will personally dog you in every post you ever make about this. So as my father would have said
There are mutiple state schools in my state. So if I withdrew and reapplied to the other state schools, wouln"t they be more likely to brush this whole stint under rug next cycle. After all, they have an interest in taking people in state

There are mutiple state schools in my state. So if I withdrew and reapplied to the other state schools, wouln"t they be more likely to brush this whole stint under rug next cycle. After all, they have an interest in taking people in state

There are thousands more applying that didnt turn town an acceptance. They dont NEED you. They have so many less risky applicants to take a chance on.

So your interviews were also an issue.
Take this acceptance and run. Seriously.
You can't say that for sure. Lot's of factor play a role post interview. My friend at my school said in the student lounge at the medical schools, there's a whiteboard where people who attend write their GPA and MCAT score, along with their name.

Also, I had a DO accept earlier in the cycle that I withdrew from. If I withdrew from MD, and said that I regained an interest in OMM instead, would DO schools look at me favorably?

You seem to have your mind made up. By all means then...

If you’re this insecure over your MCAT, I sense a bigger issue.

Also, I had a DO accept earlier in the cycle that I withdrew from. If I withdrew from MD, and said that I regained an interest in OMM instead, would DO schools look at me favorably?

Wait you turned down DO already? I doubt this will fly at all.

@Goro

Hello,

You sound like your trying to find every excuse not to go to med school. Probably should withdraw then. Or you're a troll. Either way....
BxctcdBCAAAyHSy.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.