Plan to take Step 1 Early...Scored vs. P/F? If scored, is mid/late-Jan a bad time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cspine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a 3-year MD program looking at going into rads. My dedicated is 5 weeks from April to early May, which means I'd be looking at a P/F Step 1 score. If I want a Step 2 score on my residency app, I will need to take it by August 2022, rather than like November if I have a Step 1 score like the classes above me (plus not worrying as much about the score if I have a solid Step 1 score).

No matter what, I plan on taking Step 1 early - somewhere between end of December to February depending on whether I choose to take it scored (based on Qbank %s, practice scores, etc.). This way I have my dedicated time to either study for Step 2 (if I did P/F) or do whatever I want with the time (if I get a good score).

For reference, did the Rx Self-Assessment 1 so far with a 208 for my baseline.

My concerns:
1) I've seen plans for late January, with the contingency plan of pushing it off to P/F. If a lot of people have this plan, will that skew the scoring for tests during that time? I.e. if everybody who takes it is scoring 240+ on practice exams and all of these higher scorers take the exam without lower scorers taking it, how will that affect scoring? Or would taking it in late December or early January be better?
2) Recommendations?

Edit:
Starting M2 year now. Graduating 2023 after my 3rd year (accelerated program where we do clerkships over summer between M1 & M2 years, and way less elective time). Pathoma done over summer as well

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
2023. Shouldve clarified. I'm starting M2, already through Pathoma over summer to get a solid base. I'll edit above too.

In terms of the scoring- the curve of the exam is set before you sit for it by testing the questions on prior forms. So I don't think a bunch of higher scorers taking the exam in the same time frame would change anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of the scoring- the curve of the exam is set before you sit for it by testing the questions on prior forms. So I don't think a bunch of higher scorers taking the exam in the same time frame would change anything.
Ok cool. That's good to hear. Stats isn't exactly my forte, so thank you.

Someone did a poll on reddit so it's obviously not the most scientific, but right now 622 people taking it scored, 92 people taking it p/f for class of 2023. I suggest taking it for score if you're doing something remotely competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
The Step 1 score only matters because programs either screen with Step 1 or has a tier system with points assigned for certain step 1 ranges. Most med students in class of 2023 will probably have a scored step 1. Thus you may be at a disadvantage with a P/F report. Programs are starting to switch emphasis from Step 1 to Step 2 CK, so a strong Step 2 CK score is probably a must as well regardless of your Step 1 performance.

The Step 1 score only matters because programs either screen with Step 1 or has a tier system with points assigned for certain step 1 ranges. Most med students in class of 2023 will probably have a scored step 1. Thus you may be at a disadvantage with a P/F report. Programs are starting to switch emphasis from Step 1 to Step 2 CK, so a strong Step 2 CK score is probably a must as well regardless of your Step 1 performance.
Appreciate the response. That's the thing, I don't want to be at a disadvantage for step 1 when it looks like 80+% (just throwing out a number) will have scores and it can be hard enough standing out with our program (less time to bolster ECs/research with only 3 years, plus not many research opportunities to begin with).

So you think it's a must to have a step 2 score? Odds are I'll take it in August so it would be in my application. But say I knock step 1 out, how much would it hurt not having it? Would it be alright to delay it (not apply with it)?