plane mirror

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i thought that for plane mirrors, image distance=object distance. is that not correct?
this question is from Next Step tutor

A woman stands 1m in front of a plane mirror. What is the magnification and distance from the woman to her mirror-image?

1. 1/2 and 2m
  2. 1 and 1m
  3. 2 and 1m
  4. 1 and 2m

Explanation

1. 1/2 and 2m, incorrect, Uses image distance of 2m rather than 1m and inverts the magnification equation.
  2. 1 and 1m, incorrect, Does not sum object and image distance for distance between woman and image.
  3. 2 and 1m, incorrect, Uses image distance of 2m in magnification equation and distance from woman to image also incorrect.
  4. 1 and 2m, correct.

Members don't see this ad.

i thought that for plane mirrors, image distance=object distance. is that not correct?

A woman stands 1m in front of a plane mirror. What is the magnification and distance from the woman to her mirror-image?

1. 1/2 and 2m
  2. 1 and 1m
  3. 2 and 1m
  4. 1 and 2m

Explanation

1. 1/2 and 2m, incorrect, Uses image distance of 2m rather than 1m and inverts the magnification equation.
  2. 1 and 1m, incorrect, Does not sum object and image distance for distance between woman and image.
  3. 2 and 1m, incorrect, Uses image distance of 2m in magnification equation and distance from woman to image also incorrect.
  4. 1 and 2m, correct.
Yes because she stands 1 meter away from the mirror, thus she is 1 meter away from the actual mirror. However, her reflection is 1 mirror within the mirror, so it seems as if her reflection is actually 2 meters away from the woman herself.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes because she stands 1 meter away from the mirror, thus she is 1 meter away from the actual mirror. However, her reflection is 1 mirror within the mirror, so it seems as if her reflection is actually 2 meters away from the woman herself.
so the distance from object to plane mirror is

d(object) + d(image)?

also thanks for the quick reply. was not expecting that lol

1. 1/2 and 2m
  2. 1 and 1m
  3. 2 and 1m
  4. 1 and 2m

Explanation

4. 1 and 2m, correct.
Image distance does equal object distance...but both of those are measurements TO the mirror.
What they are asking you is for the distance from the woman to the mirror (object distance) PLUS the distance from the mirror to the image (image distance). Since those are equal, you simply double it.

Members don't see this ad :)

d(object) + d(image)?

Sorry, Ive no idea about the equation. But it sounds right. The image is always double the distance of the object towards the mirror. So I would say Dimage=2Dobject.

d(object) + d(image)?

Haha, yes, exactly...I was about 30s late on that one, sorry!

Sorry, Ive no idea about the equation. But it sounds right. The image is always double the distance of the object towards the mirror. So I would say Dimage=2Dobject.
Yeah, it's right. To get the apparent distance from the object to the image, you have to add object distance and image distance.