Planned courses critique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some feedback from more experienced premeds and beyond about my plan for my course layout to finish my degree. I currently attend a private 4-yr institution and plan on sticking with it to finish my degree. Here goes:

Currently taking:
Religion
Stats 2
History
Poisoning of a Planet (bio class about humans impact on Earth)

Spring 14:
Evolution (w/lab)
Religion course
Psych course
Chem 2 (w/lab)
Philosophy

Summer 14:
Orgo 1 and 2 (both with lab)

Fall 14:
Biochem 1 (w/lab)
non-calc Physics 1 (w/lab)
Cell and Molecular Bio (w/lab)
Intro Soc (retake for better grade)

Spring 15:
Biochem 2 (no lab)
Physics 2 (lab)
Microbiology (lab)
required liberal arts course

Summer 15:
Chem 1 (retake lecture for better grade)

Fall 15:
Genetics (lab)
upper level bio
Psych course
AP 1 (lab)

Winter: possibly take MCAT

Spring 16:

Neurobiology (lab)
AP 2 (lab)
2 required liberal arts courses

Get my degree and apply to med school, and hopefully start when I'm 29!

I may plan on taking the MCAT towards the end of the summer in 2015 if I feel ready for it, but I figure genetics and AP might be beneficial if I decide to stick to taking the MCAT in the winter. I don't want to take it in the spring of 2016 so I can be sure to apply early with a grade in my hand.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Taking Orgo I and II (both with labs) could be too much in the Summer. Taking Orgo I during the summer is challenging enough, not to mention both of them. I would suggest taking Orgo during a regular, longer semester and taking easier classes in summer. You will be OK with Bio or Gen Chem in summer, though.

Taking Orgo I and II (both with labs) could be too much in the Summer. Taking Orgo I during the summer is challenging enough, not to mention both of them. I would suggest taking Orgo during a regular, longer semester and taking easier classes in summer. You will be OK with Bio or Gen Chem in summer, though.

Thank you for your response! I want to take Organic over the summer is so I can take Biochem 1 and 2. At my school they only offer biochem 2 every other spring and it just happens that Spring 2015 is it. I could always take another upper level science course instead of that. I'll have to ask students who have taken Organic over the summer to see how it was. The local cc does not offer it. I took bio 1 and 2 and chem 1 this past summer, but I was also working way too many hours (32-39) and had a random medical issue that took about 3 classes away from me towards the end of the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
It also depends on your professor for Orgo. Ask around who is teaching it and check ratemyprofessor.com. But generally, I wouldn't recommend taking Orgo or Physics in summer. Any other class would be fine. Although, sometimes you have no other choice. It's just you are lowering your chances of getting As in these classes by taking them in summer.

I was hoping to get some feedback from more experienced premeds and beyond about my plan for my course layout to finish my degree. I currently attend a private 4-yr institution and plan on sticking with it to finish my degree. Here goes:

Currently taking:
Religion
Stats 2
History
Poisoning of a Planet (bio class about humans impact on Earth)

Spring 14:
Evolution (w/lab)
Religion course
Psych course
Chem 2 (w/lab)
Philosophy

Summer 14:
Orgo 1 and 2 (both with lab)

Fall 14:
Biochem 1 (w/lab)
non-calc Physics 1 (w/lab)
Cell and Molecular Bio (w/lab)
Intro Soc (retake for better grade)

Spring 15:
Biochem 2 (no lab)
Physics 2 (lab)
Microbiology (lab)
required liberal arts course

Summer 15:
Chem 1 (retake lecture for better grade)

Fall 15:
Genetics (lab)
upper level bio
Psych course
AP 1 (lab)

Winter: possibly take MCAT

Spring 16:

Neurobiology (lab)
AP 2 (lab)
2 required liberal arts courses

Get my degree and apply to med school, and hopefully start when I'm 29!

I may plan on taking the MCAT towards the end of the summer in 2015 if I feel ready for it, but I figure genetics and AP might be beneficial if I decide to stick to taking the MCAT in the winter. I don't want to take it in the spring of 2016 so I can be sure to apply early with a grade in my hand.

Thanks!

I don't see any problems with it, accept taking organic chemistries in summer. You need to get an A in both classes, just be careful. I would also change my date of the MCAT. Instead of Winter, I would take it after graduation. Also try and find some time for some kind of Volunteer work, may be a few hours a week. This will leave a good impression on you as an applicant.

I don't see any problems with it, accept taking organic chemistries in summer. You need to get an A in both classes, just be careful. I would also change my date of the MCAT. Instead of Winter, I would take it after graduation. Also try and find some time for some kind of Volunteer work, may be a few hours a week. This will leave a good impression on you as an applicant.
Thank you for your reply! I have actually been a volunteer at a local er for a couple of months and I love it. I am going to start asking others at my school about taking orgo during the summer and about the professors who may teach it.

Thank you for your reply! I have actually been a volunteer at a local er for a couple of months and I love it. I am going to start asking others at my school about taking orgo during the summer and about the professors who may teach it.

Yea that might be a better idea. I know its not something easy to do.

I think like what most people are saying, everything sounds good except taking Organic Chemistry back to back during summer. Organic Chemistry is a pretty laborious class, and it's not just a matter of intelligence it also takes time to 'get it', so I think it would behoove you and your BCPM GPA to take them during your semester/quarter. While you're asking about past student experiences, you should also find out how hard it is to get into these summer courses, as Organic Chemistry ends up being a bottleneck sequence for a lot of people (premed, prevet,predent, animal health sciences, biotech etc.). You wouldn't want to ride on that plan, only to not be able to register anyways.

I was an Organic Chemistry tutor and I still don't think I'd enjoy taking the year sequence over a summer. On the other hand you may be the Chemistry Pope and you'll be fine. My advice, don't rush as you're currently compiling your AMCAS application with your academic record.

Best of luck.

I think like what most people are saying, everything sounds good except taking Organic Chemistry back to back during summer. Organic Chemistry is a pretty laborious class, and it's not just a matter of intelligence it also takes time to 'get it', so I think it would behoove you and your BCPM GPA to take them during your semester/quarter. While you're asking about past student experiences, you should also find out how hard it is to get into these summer courses, as Organic Chemistry ends up being a bottleneck sequence for a lot of people (premed, prevet,predent, animal health sciences, biotech etc.). You wouldn't want to ride on that plan, only to not be able to register anyways.

I was an Organic Chemistry tutor and I still don't think I'd enjoy taking the year sequence over a summer. On the other hand you may be the Chemistry Pope and you'll be fine. My advice, don't rush as you're currently compiling your AMCAS application with your academic record.

Best of luck.

Thank you! I think I am just determined to take biochem 2, but as everyone is saying if I don't actually understand what organic is about or just flat out fail it there's no way I'd be able to take it anyway, plus it'd take a lot more to raise my gpa with 2 more bad science grades in the mix.

Thank you! I think I am just determined to take biochem 2, but as everyone is saying if I don't actually understand what organic is about or just flat out fail it there's no way I'd be able to take it anyway, plus it'd take a lot more to raise my gpa with 2 more bad science grades in the mix.

Oh don't get me wrong. I am not trying to insult your intelligence. I believe you might be able to pull it off. All I am saying is that no need to take the risk. Just move it around. The main goal is to take them both at some time with an A in both classes. Good luck.

When it does come time to take Organic Chemistry just remember that there's a plethora of free information out there from other universities, Khan academy covers some basics, tutoring (your tuition already pays for tutoring services) etc. If you have any more questions about Organic Chemistry just PM me, or go to my sig and check out my 'nontraditional' blog, I answer questions there by writing an article usually.

Regardless, wish you the best!

Oh don't get me wrong. I am not trying to insult your intelligence. I believe you might be able to pull it off. All I am saying is that no need to take the risk. Just move it around. The main goal is to take them both at some time with an A in both classes. Good luck.

No worries! I understand what you're saying and I appreciate your advice. :)

When it does come time to take Organic Chemistry just remember that there's a plethora of free information out there from other universities, Khan academy covers some basics, tutoring (your tuition already pays for tutoring services) etc. If you have any more questions about Organic Chemistry just PM me, or go to my sig and check out my 'nontraditional' blog, I answer questions there by writing an article usually.

Regardless, wish you the best!

I will definitely keep that in mind, thanks for the advice! :)