Planned Parenthood/Abortion - too controversial to write about/talk about?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsraininbunnie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent this summer working at Planned Parenthood taking vital signs after abortions, and I learned a lot and really liked it. I'm planning on continuing to volunteer there next year, and want to apply for a full time position during my gap year before medical school. This experience was very important to me and I want to write about it in my personal statement, put it on my resume, and talk about it in interviews, but I'm worried it's too controversial. Will adcoms (who might be a bit older and more conservative) not like my application as much because of this? Is it something I should avoid writing about or talking about?

Members don't see this ad.

I spent this summer working at Planned Parenthood taking vital signs after abortions, and I learned a lot and really liked it. I'm planning on continuing to volunteer there next year, and want to apply for a full time position during my gap year before medical school. This experience was very important to me and I want to write about it in my personal statement, put it on my resume, and talk about it in interviews, but I'm worried it's too controversial. Will adcoms (who might be a bit older and more conservative) not like my application as much because of this? Is it something I should avoid writing about or talking about?

I would definitely talk about it. That's an impressive amount of patient contact.

I think the odds of an ADCOM member being so conservative that they fail to recognize your commitment to health care or the quality and value of your experiences at Planned Parenthood are very slim.

Talk about it! Even if someone personally "disagrees" with abortions, they certainly couldn't disagree with caring for patients who have had abortions! Planned Parenthood rocks yo, good for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
eh, kind of touchy subject for some people. I'd talk about it but not go too social-political about your beliefs. Make it more about what you got out of it and how it altered your desired career path.

Reactions: 1 users
eh, kind of touchy subject for some people. I'd talk about it but not go too social-political about your beliefs. Make it more about what you got out of it and how it altered your desired career path.

This. As long as you don't sound like you are trying to convince the AdComs to support abortion, or as long as you don't make the support of abortion itself the topic of your discussion of the experience, you should be fine. Talk about the experience as a clinical experience, don't focus on the political aspects. Obviously don't hide anything, but don't make your application a social/political statement, and you should be fine.

I interned there for 3 years and it was a wonderful experience. I think you just have to focus on the right things. I had an easier time writing about it cause I only worked with patients who came in for primary care, mostly chronic illness like Parkinsons.

I wouldn't write about it if your hopes are set on Loyola, Creighton or Loma Linda. otherwise, go ahead.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't write about it if your hopes are set on Loyola, Creighton or Loma Linda. otherwise, go ahead.

I'm not sure how much Creighton or Loyola would care, they are run by Jesuits (basically, the most liberal order of Catholic priests and huge on social justice).

Last edited:
Talk about it! Even if someone personally "disagrees" with abortions, they certainly couldn't disagree with caring for patients who have had abortions! Planned Parenthood rocks yo, good for you.
this.

definitely talk about it OP. it was an important experience for you

I'm not sure how much Creighton or Loyola would care, they are run by Jesuits (basically, the most liberal order of Catholic priests and huge on social justice).

Jesuits might be "huge on social justice" in terms of helping the poor, but I really doubt that includes abortion. They are catholic monks/priests, and for the most part, believe that life starts at conception.

:scared: earlier?

I would fail to interject my personal opinion into the matter. Its much harder to hold the fact that you cared for mothers regardless of their choices against you, versus the fact that you cared for them because you were pro choice. This is a controversial subject that I can personally see both sides of. Personally i feel that it is far too complex to be "for" or "against".

Just for reference, I am a Peace Corps volunteer, and in my personal statement I wrote that I believe "religious opposition to the use of condoms" has a detrimental impact on the effort to control HIV in Africa. (This could obviously be read as "anti-Catholic.") Got a lot of love this cycle, including an interview (->waitlist) at Georgetown... Of course my situation is not identical to yours, so I would say be tactful, but be honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for reference, I am a Peace Corps volunteer, and in my personal statement I wrote that I believe "religious opposition to the use of condoms" has a detrimental impact on the effort to control HIV in Africa. (This could obviously be read as "anti-Catholic.") Got a lot of love this cycle, including an interview (->waitlist) at Georgetown... Of course my situation is not identical to yours, so I would say be tactful, but be honest.
I would have probably erred on the side of caution and simply said "lack of condom use has a detrimental impact on controlling HIV in Africa" myself.

I have very controversial beliefs in many ways, and I have learned, share things that you're passionate about, but frame it so anyone would agree with you.

Other procedures are performed in Planned Parenthood Clinics, besides abortions. If you are concerned you'd be applying to institutions where faculty will have a bias, you have the option of being less specific about the procedure for which you assisted in after-care.

They would care.

OP, if you do write about this, I would maybe suggest having someone you know who is pro-life read it over to see how it comes off to a more conservative audience.

Reactions: 5 users

The 4 current Catholic Jesuit meds are all pro-life (Georgetown, Loyola-Chicago, SLU and Creighton). Likely, the new Seton Hall will also be pro-life (catholic, but not jesuit). Being “huge on social justice” does not translate into being pro abortion. In fact, the Jesuits believe that abortion cannot be consistent with social justice because the baby is amongst the most vulnerable.

The Jesuits said the following last January:
Describing abortion as a “key social evil” in the United States, the Jesuits say: “The most fundamental building block of a just social order is respect for human life. Until men and women individually and collectively make a profound commitment to the value and dignity of all human life, we will never find the true peace, justice and reconciliation God desires for us.”

You might want to leave out the words Planned Parenthood and simply use the term free clinic.

I find it difficult just reading the part that you enjoyed reading vitals after individuals had undergone abortion.

I would suggest not going in depth with your experience at more conservative schools.

I find it difficult just reading the part that you enjoyed reading vitals after individuals had undergone abortion.

I would suggest not going in depth with your experience at more conservative schools.
1. This thread is five years old. OP has since been accepted to medical school.
2. While abortion is obviously controversial, the fact remains that it is a legal medical procedure, and it's not that surprising that someone would find it enjoyable to help women who are desperate and in need. You might find it difficult, but others will see it as compassionate.

I volunteered at an abortion clinic and chose to include it in my application, and don't regret doing so in the slightest. It's possible it hurt me with some interviewers at some schools, but I'm not sure that it did. Ultimately, it was a meaningful experience for me and I learned a lot about kindness and compassion from both patients and providers. It also challenged a lot of my own biases that I hadn't even realized I had about who seeks this type of care and why. Anyone in the future who considers discussing reproductive healthcare or any controversial topic should proceed with caution. It needs to be a calculated risk. I knew it was important for me to go to a medical school that wasn't actively opposed to abortion and other reproductive care. It might not matter to others.

1. This thread is five years old. OP has since been accepted to medical school.
2. While abortion is obviously controversial, the fact remains that it is a legal medical procedure, and it's not that surprising that someone would find it enjoyable to help women who are desperate and in need. You might find it difficult, but others will see it as compassionate.

I volunteered at an abortion clinic and chose to include it in my application, and don't regret doing so in the slightest. It's possible it hurt me with some interviewers at some schools, but I'm not sure that it did. Ultimately, it was a meaningful experience for me and I learned a lot about kindness and compassion from both patients and providers. It also challenged a lot of my own biases that I hadn't even realized I had about who seeks this type of care and why. Anyone in the future who considers discussing reproductive healthcare or any controversial topic should proceed with caution. It needs to be a calculated risk. I knew it was important for me to go to a medical school that wasn't actively opposed to abortion and other reproductive care. It might not matter to others.
You're right the thread is five years old and I noticed this after I made my post. This thread wasn't revived by me so I'm not sure why you're directing this old thread comment at me specifically instead of all participants generally.

Additionally, I don't care that you specifically helped with abortion cases I stated that it was not the wisest to include depth of the experience at more conservative schools by giving my conservative perspective

You're right the thread is five years old and I noticed this after I made my post. This thread wasn't revived by me so I'm not sure why you're directing this old thread comment at me specifically instead of all participants generally.

Additionally, I don't care that you specifically helped with abortion cases I stated that it was not the wisest to include depth of the experience at more conservative schools by giving my conservative perspective
Just replied to your post (with regards to the thread being old) because it was the most recent--it was nothing personal :)

But I did also want to address your comment about finding it difficult to imagine that OP enjoyed taking vitals in patients who'd had abortions, and share that many wouldn't find that behavior unreasonable. I find it enjoyable to help patients in need, and as a premed I took great pleasure in any form of direct patient care.

And of course, you're right, someone who wants to go to a conservative school probably shouldn't go into detail about controversial topics. And while it's great that you're willing to share your perspective in order to help someone, it's also okay for others to disagree with/challenge that perspective.

Nobody will care if you are pro-choice. It's the socially accepted position in society, and especially in academia. It's the other side of the coin that has to be careful. I suspect that talking positively about your experiences with planned parenthood will be an asset, and can only help your application.

Nobody will care if you are pro-choice. It's the socially accepted position in society, and especially in academia. It's the other side of the coin that has to be careful. I suspect that talking positively about your experiences with planned parenthood will be an asset, and can only help your application.

We’re generally not talking about the ideals of general academia when the issue is abortion and physicians. Physician acadamia is not the same as discipline-wide academia Many/most doctors won’t have anything to do with abortion, which is why docs who’ve lost hospital privileges for various insufficiencies often end up performing abortions. While it’s a legal procedure, many doctors can’t wrap their heads around the idea of going to the ends of the earth to save a troubled fetus in one room while killing a healthy fetus in another. Let that sink in...

Last edited:
LOL I work at PP and I am sitting on a few acceptances, albeit not from any of the aforementioned Jesuit/Catholic institutions. I didn't bother applying. I've gotten into a lot of detail about my experiences when asked and haven't experienced push-back. It has been a significant experience in my personal and professional development, so I went there, regardless of how I thought it could be perceived though I acknowledge that this probably wouldn't fly elsewhere.