• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
Jun 4, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

I applied MD to this current cycle (2020-2021), received a few II's but so far haven't gotten any great news. I'm a bit worried and wanted to prepare for a possible re-app. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

ORM from NY, first-generation and low-income student from immigrant family.

Current senior at pretty high-ranked liberal arts college, biochemistry major

cGPA: 3.69 (has since risen to 3.7)
sGPA: 3.53 (has since risen to 3.56)
MCAT: 516 (130/128/128/130)

Clinical Experience: 900 as EMT
Clinical Volunteering: 220
Non-clinical Volunteering 175 hours at multiple organizations, at time of app
Research: 570 (most in science, but some in humanities research; I think this will be the biggest improvement...since applying I have been working for a clinical study and have completed 700 hours--however, this was mentioned in update letters and some secondaries)
Shadowing: 150 hours
Leadership: 980 hours (2 student groups/ residential advisor job)
Additional: 140 hours for job as admissions intern

I would say that my application is very geared towards me hoping to work in underserved communities and with immigrants.

Applied to 25 schools total: Kaiser, Harvard, Icahn, Weill Cornell, Boston U, Brown, NYU-LI, UMichigan, Rochester, Geisel Dartmouth, Tufts, Hofstra, Albert Einstein, Rutgers NJMS, Stony Brook, Thomas Jefferson, Rosalind Franklin, UVM/Larner, George Washington, SUNY Downstate, Quinnipiac, SUNY Upstate, NYMC, Buffalo, Cooper Rowan U

I'm feeling quite frustrated and I know there's still some time, but wanted to be prepared in case I need to re-apply. I'm not sure if I'll reapply in 2021-2022 cycle yet or the next...and I think a big mistake I made was not applying DO.

Thank you for any feedback you can give me!

About the Ads
Jun 4, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I would be surprised if you did not receive one acceptance from those schools.
I really hope so 😅😅 Downstate and Hofstra likely won’t get back to me until the end of February, Einstein and NYU-LI in March. The waves of rejections in my inbox has definitely made me a bit paranoid, so I wanted to be prepared to reapply just in case. Do you have any feedback on where my biggest shortcomings are on my application?

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You have no weakness in your application. If you need to reapply include many more "safety" schools.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.