Planning on applying for 2011...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nightm4re

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to Dental Schools when ADSAS becomes available (my advisor said April?). I am currently a Junior going for a degree in Micro and Molecular Biology. I have a 3.1 overall GPA and 2.82 GPA within my major. I have been enrolled in 14+ credit hours each semester so far and have had to work 20+ hours a week at my job. I am stretched thin because i need money to pay for school and i am attempting to save for my applications.

My questions to you guys... advisors have often told me things that were not the truth, and have led me the wrong way before...

I have experience shadowing dentists and they are willing to write me my letter of reccomendation. Due to the fact that i am unable to do anything hands on, i feel limited to what i can actually learn. Should i continue to shadow in my free time so i have experiences to talk about in my interview?

Also, volunteering. I am stretched very thin between work and school. Most of my free time is taken up by studying. I have been unable to volunteer much over the years, but feel like it is a necessity to even be accepted to most dental schools. What are your views on volunteering? I am currently trying to get more involved since i am in my application semester.

I am applying as soon as i can get the application filled out, and i am taking my DATs in July. I am currently taking Organic Chemistry 2, and i am taking Microbiology over the summer to help prepare me for the DATs. I am also going to take a Kaplan course over the summer to help me out. Will that be too late to take my DAT's or will i still be on time/early? I feel like i need to have my applications in early because my GPA is a little lacking (attempting to bring that up though!)

My last question is about loans... The two dental schools in florida have a higher GPA requirement and i have my doubts about getting accepted. I am applying to schools out of state but most tuitions seem to run upwards of $200,000. Where can i get such a large loan or any other types of financial aid?

I know it was a long read, but i appreciate the help. I am just feeling ovewhelmed with classes, work and applying this semester and i am seeking out as much information as possible. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on applying to Dental Schools when ADSAS becomes available (my advisor said April?). I am currently a Junior going for a degree in Micro and Molecular Biology. I have a 3.1 overall GPA and 2.82 GPA within my major. I have been enrolled in 14+ credit hours each semester so far and have had to work 20+ hours a week at my job. I am stretched thin because i need money to pay for school and i am attempting to save for my applications.

My questions to you guys... advisors have often told me things that were not the truth, and have led me the wrong way before...

I have experience shadowing dentists and they are willing to write me my letter of reccomendation. Due to the fact that i am unable to do anything hands on, i feel limited to what i can actually learn. Should i continue to shadow in my free time so i have experiences to talk about in my interview?
Dont worry, you can only do so much shadowing since you start to see the same procedures every time. Usually some schools will have requirements on how many hours of "dental" related shadowing/work/volunteering you need to complete (around 50-100? check the schools you are interested in). Shadowing is for your benefit - for you to find out about the career (overhead costs, daily routine, private practice vs in a group setting, etc)... so shadow until you get the answers you need.
Also, volunteering. I am stretched very thin between work and school. Most of my free time is taken up by studying. I have been unable to volunteer much over the years, but feel like it is a necessity to even be accepted to most dental schools. What are your views on volunteering? I am currently trying to get more involved since i am in my application semester.
If you have already shadowed enough, put in that extra time into volunteering. DS really do value giving back to the community. It may not have to be 10000s of hours of doing random volunteering work...
the best example i give to people is: if you like animals, go volunteer 2 hours on a weekend at a pet shelter. in this way, 1. you are volunteering 2. you are increasing your serotonin levels by spending quality time with animals :D 3. shows your caring personality to adcoms!

I am applying as soon as i can get the application filled out, and i am taking my DATs in July. I am currently taking Organic Chemistry 2, and i am taking Microbiology over the summer to help prepare me for the DATs. I am also going to take a Kaplan course over the summer to help me out. Will that be too late to take my DAT's or will i still be on time/early? I feel like i need to have my applications in early because my GPA is a little lacking (attempting to bring that up though!)
I dont think taking Microbio is going to be helpful for the DATs. The test is very broad (40 Bio questions) that has to cover all concepts of Bio. I would suggest not taking Microbio because... it is already going to be hectic:
-mid May: school
mid May-July: study for DAT, APPLY
and like you already know, since your GPA is on the lower side, you need to kick some major butt on the DAT... so you need to focus as much time on that as possible. So, dont worry about microbio until fall/spring semester.

And actually, if you want to make it easier on yourself during apps time... do this during spring semester:
Get your 1. personal statement 2. Recc letters 3. record dates you volunteered/shadowed/recd awards (check out the aadsas application so you know what adcoms are looking for) all done.
then all you would need to do is copy paste once app time comes around!! and ofcourse then you can focus on dats!
My last question is about loans... The two dental schools in florida have a higher GPA requirement and i have my doubts about getting accepted. I am applying to schools out of state but most tuitions seem to run upwards of $200,000. Where can i get such a large loan or any other types of financial aid?
You will get the loans, dont worry about this now :) Dentists mint money once they start their practice so banks know we are a good investment :D

I know it was a long read, but i appreciate the help. I am just feeling ovewhelmed with classes, work and applying this semester and i am seeking out as much information as possible. Thanks for the help!
Breeeeeathe. pm me if you have more Qs. :)