Planning on applying soon.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhenslee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just got my MCAT scores back and thought I'd take a stab at this.

Biology Major
Chemistry Minor
3.7 GPA
11V 10B 9P WQ
30Q

1 summer field research: "Inriver abundance and distribution of Spawning Susitna River Sockeye Salmon Oncorhynchus nerka."
1 summer laboratory research and co-author of published paper and several letters of recommendation from PI and postdocs: "The YjbH protein of Bacillus subtilis enhances ClpXP-catalyzed proteolysis of Spx."

1 year VP of Scientific Journal Club
1 year President of Scientific Journal Club
1 year VP of Outdoor club
Member of the Sigma Zeta science club
3 years of TA and lab prep for various courses, (Genbio - Genetics)
Hiked PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) from Canada to Mexico (2,600 miles)

Still working on getting shadowing hours and volunteer experience. I do have some time volunteering at my local hospital.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, just got my MCAT scores back and thought I'd take a stab at this.

Biology Major
Chemistry Minor
3.7 GPA
11V 10B 9P WQ
30Q

1 summer field research: "Inriver abundance and distribution of Spawning Susitna River Sockeye Salmon Oncorhynchus nerka."
1 summer laboratory research and co-author of published paper and several letters of recommendation from PI and postdocs: "The YjbH protein of Bacillus subtilis enhances ClpXP-catalyzed proteolysis of Spx."

1 year VP of Scientific Journal Club
1 year President of Scientific Journal Club
1 year VP of Outdoor club
Member of the Sigma Zeta science club
3 years of TA and lab prep for various courses, (Genbio - Genetics)
Hiked PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) from Canada to Mexico (2,600 miles)

Still working on getting shadowing hours and volunteer experience. I do have some time volunteering at my local hospital.

Thanks for your time!

What does "soon" mean? Next week? Next month? Or next cycle?

Go with #3 and apply next cycle...you are way too late to just be starting the app process for this cycle...sounds like you need to boost your shadowing and volunteering, too...

What does "soon" mean? Next week? Next month? Or next cycle?

Go with #3 and apply next cycle...you are way too late to just be starting the app process for this cycle...sounds like you need to boost your shadowing and volunteering, too...

Yup, next cycle. I know I need volunteering and shadowing, how does everything else look?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, next cycle. I know I need volunteering and shadowing, how does everything else look?

Your stats are right smack in the middle of the "meaty part of the curve...not showing off, not falling behind" (thanks to George Costanza for that one).

Your clubs, while nice, mean little (but of course you will list them anyway).

Your research sounds very good, better than average, considering it consists of 2 summers, but the published part is great.

You appear to be in fine shape. Get busy with the clinical ECs...

Good luck.

I'd definitely list the 2600 mile hike (under Hobbies/Avocations). It's different and will make you stand out. I agree with flip26, that you're right on track and know what you need to do to improve your application.