Research: 1000+ hours over 2 years, 1 publication and 2 poster presentations

Physician shadowing: 120 hours in ER over 4 months

Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours over 3 years at a food bank

Clinical Volunteering: 250 hours over 3 years as a patient transporter

Other extracurriculars:

1 semester as a Biology TA

1 semester as a math TA

Student mentor for incoming freshman at my University

Employment history: Part time appointment scheduler for moving company- 6 months

Immediate family members in medicine? No.

URM? No

LORS: 2 from science faculty, 1 from non science faculty, 1 from clinical volunteering coordinator and 1 from boss at my employment. All strong letters except from 1 of the science letters.

Hobbies: weight lifting

Awards: 8x deans list, best undergraduate abstract at research symposium

About the Ads

binky23

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2017
Looks pretty good. You aiming for MD, DO, or a mix ? Do have a preliminary school list ?
Thanks for the reply! I am not exactly sure yet, would you suggest I apply to both? I currently dont have a preliminary school list. This might be a dumb question, but is the MSAR only used for this? How would you suggest I construct my school list?

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Your application overall looks solid, but you'll need to apply broadly. Use the MSAR and find schools where your GPA and MCAT fall in their common range. Definitely apply to all state schools, and to at least 25 total.

You say one of your letters may not be the strongest, see if you can get a strong one for sure in its place by application time. Otherwise in terms of activities you have already done a good amount.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Thanks for the reply! I am not exactly sure yet, would you suggest I apply to both? I currently dont have a preliminary school list. This might be a dumb question, but is the MSAR only used for this? How would you suggest I construct my school list?
Without a retake on the MCAT, I'd probably apply to a handful of DO schools along with a bunch of MD schools. IMO, with a little higher MCAT, DO probably not necessary.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads