Planning on studying for MS1 courses or taking it easy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studying for MS1 courses or taking it easy

• Studying for med school like a good responsible little student

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • Trying as hard as possible to forget everything you learned in college

Votes: 61 72.6%

• Total voters

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm tempted to buy a Gross Anatomy textbook and look over it during my down time this summer, but most of me wants to take it easy and be as lazy as possible. Just wondering what ya'll think.

Members don't see this ad.

Biscuit799 said:
I'm tempted to buy a Gross Anatomy textbook and look over it during my down time this summer, but most of me wants to take it easy and be as lazy as possible. Just wondering what ya'll think.

People keep saying that we shouldn't study and that we should relax this summer... since it is our last free summer ever. But I do have an anatomy book, and I have been glancing through it. I figure whatever little bit i study can only help. And i find it interesting anyways :)

edit: I'm was an engineer in undergrad, so another reason I'm do a little studying is b/c i feel like I'm going to be at a slight disadvantage compared to all of the science majors.

Take it from someone that has known several friends to go straight from undergrad to med school, SOAK UP YOUR FREE TIME WHEN YOU CAN! Going through school for 16 years non-stop is enough, take advantage of your summer. It will become a precious commodity as years pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
im thinking ill prob be glancing at some anatomy books
a friend actually gave me his USMLE step 1 study guide and ive been reading it

however..... do not do what i am doing since I just dont have another option.
i work full-time so i dont really have any "free time", and my last free summer ever was a while ago........ i basically study to keep from shooting myself at this boring-ass job

this will be your last chance at time off, make use of it! :)

Studying for MS1 right now? Heck no, count me out! I'm going to try to enjoy the little free time I have as much as possible. I'll crack the books hard come August, but till then, the only books I'll be reading will be for enjoyment.

Biscuit799 said:

Are you kidding me???????????????????????????? You are out of your mind!!! Take advantage of every minute of free time you'll have this summer. Once you start medical school in the fall you'll be begging for a break. You'll realize that Christmas breaks, thanksgiving, spring break (If you get one) are not long enough. Maybe the school you go to will screw you over like mine did by scheduling every test possible the first day after each break.
Do yourself a favor and have fun this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My parents recently asked me what I was planning to do this summer and I replied, "absolutely nothing". They gave me a strange look and told them of my plans to go to Disney World with friends, London with my gf, and drive around the country. I think they thought I was being sarcastic, like usual, so they just changed the subject, but they're in for a treat come May! :laugh:

1. do not study before med school. not necessary. unless, of course, you enjoy studing, then by all means.

2. this is NOT your last summer ever. medical school is like COLLEGE. yep, that's right. you study a lot first 2 years, but if you want you'll have plenty of time to chill and go out... then years 3 and 4 you basically have most of your nights and weekends free. you have to read a bit (no more than half hour/night...and that's a lot) but it's not bad, at all. also, you'll have at least 2 months between 1st and 2nd year during the summer. you can take off, or do some easy a$$ research project (the 10am-1pm kind, plenty of those around). then, you'll have basically the second half of your 4th year off - filled with rediculously easy rotations (come in 3 days/wk for a couple of hours...)

residency on the other hand...

Depends where you go...
Baylor has only one month break between 1st and 2nd year.

I graduated early and am spending all my would-be tuition money on going to Europe in a month, and then am planless til orientation. It's going to be so great. Maybe I'll go to Splashtown everyday.

Every med student I've ever talked to said NOT to study the summer before you start...relax and take it easy...there is no need to study beforehand...be confident in your ability, you were accepted because academically you will be able to handle the work once you get there.....in the meantime, enjoy yourself!! :cool:

If I were to go back to the last summer, I'd definitely look over the materials beforehand. I have been in the serious disadvantage because I've never taken anything other than premed requirements. You guys have a lot of time before class starts so why not just invest 3 hours per day 5 days per week? I promise you, it will help you a lot. Even though I'll be spending most of my time this summer doing research (8am-5pm weekday job), I plan to use my night time and weekends for previewing 2nd year materials and preparing for step 1. Of course I will still enjoy weekends and keep working out during weekdays, which is good enough for me.

10minutes said:
If I were to go back to the last summer, I'd definitely look over the materials beforehand. I have been in the serious disadvantage because I've never taken anything other than premed requirements. You guys have a lot of time before class starts so why not just invest 3 hours per day 5 days per week? I promise you, it will help you a lot. Even though I'll be spending most of my time this summer doing research (8am-5pm weekday job), I plan to use my night time and weekends for previewing 2nd year materials and preparing for step 1. Of course I will still enjoy weekends and keep working out during weekdays, which is good enough for me.

He might have a point, but i completely disagree with him. If I were you guys, I would do something that you have always wanted to do like backpack around europe, drive cross country, learn to surf, or work in a record shop. You have the rest of your life to study. For the rest of your career you will be bombarded with medical text. If you really want to learn, I suggest you try to learn some spanish or other language. Besides that relax, have fun, you won't regret it. My girlfriend and my younger brother will both be MS1's next year and that is exactly what I am suggesting to them.