Plans before starting med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenroc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us who have secured our school for fall 2013. What are your plans now? I am in an SMP and entertained the idea of just quitting and go travel, but decided I will stick it out and finish. How are you gonna spend time before med school starts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to spend two months in Ireland then go on a month long back packing trip around Europe and I'm spending my summer working in New York one last time at a summer camp. It's such a good feeling being accepted and knowing we can relax for a few months! :)

Working/graduating. Quitting my job in May hopefully to take a month and a half or so off to do lots of hiking, camping, swimming, cliff jumping, and rock climbing this summer before school starts in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Play games, watch anime/shows, hang out with friends, get in shape, go to Japan in the spring and maybe go to Europe closer to the summer!

Finishing up this silly masters program I'm in :sleep:

A lot of video games, still working a few shifts in ED, a lot of sleep, trying to get in shape for OMM. Quitting my job in May, after graduation I may spend the month of June roaming various national parks.

I was thinking of maybe spending 6 years in Europe and then doing a month or so on the moon.

A lot of video games, still working a few shifts in ED, a lot of sleep, trying to get in shape for OMM. Quitting my job in May, after graduation I may spend the month of June roaming various national parks.

Do THIS!

Racing my bike. Sleeping. Playing xbox. In no particular order. :)

LOL, I actually had a dream where I took off my shirt in OMM class and my fat rolls started to grow bigger and bigger, and my partner was trying to push the fat back because it was invading his personal space.

Is it worth it to try to get some research started before med school?

Working part time, learning espanol, getting in shape, reading some novels and tons of Netflix, hulu, and NBA 2k13.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Travel, lift weights, drink, sing songs, lay around.

This year is the first extended break I've had from academia, and knowing what's about to hit me in the fall, I'm planning on enjoying every ounce of carefree nonsense that I can.

Becoming a bartender, going out with friends to all the happy hours we can stand, and basically living life as raunchily as possible before d-day.
Oh, and getting in shape, getting a tat, reading lots of psych books, exploring the ginormous city I just moved to and perfecting my mariokart skillz.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working full-time, having some dental issues fixed while having a monthly salary, sleeping well, working out regularly (more weights to lift, extra miles to run), swimming regularly (can't beat Florida), and enjoying the rest of the application season by spending quality time with my wife and son. Life's good.

getting in shape for omm? really?

Continue lifting weights, compete in my first 5 and 10k. Travel a bit with my gf, get into shenanigans and enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.

I'm going to spend two months in Ireland then go on a month long back packing trip around Europe and I'm spending my summer working in New York one last time at a summer camp. It's such a good feeling being accepted and knowing we can relax for a few months! :)
Whoa, that's weird. I'm doing the reverse. Two months of backpacking in Europe, then one month in Hungary.

Do you have an itinerary for the backpacking trip yet?

Planning a wedding and traveling with my fiance.

Work, work, work some more... Saving as much money as possible in a feeble attempt to reduce my student loan debt, exciting I know.

Finish my BS, watch Supernatural obsessively, work. I don't have plans for the summer, except to move from NY to WV.

Saving money now, quitting my job 2 months before classes start and doing a road trip through Canada for a couple weeks (do some kayaking, camping, backpacking, etc)
Other than that, I'll probably sleep :sleep:, drink :hardy:, read books, sleep, watch movies :corny:, lay on the beach, and maybe a little sleep :laugh: ... Going to enjoy my last few weeks of freedom! And of course moving across a couple states will be in there, too. :D

Working full time, getting published, training for a mini marathon, hiking Badlands/Yellowstone/Teton/Glacier NP's in June/July, spending as much time with family and friends as possible.

What summer camp do you work at in New York?

Finish my BS, watch Supernatural obsessively, work. I don't have plans for the summer, except to move from NY to WV.

Too many filler episodes, I hate that.

Whoa, that's weird. I'm doing the reverse. Two months of backpacking in Europe, then one month in Hungary.

Do you have an itinerary for the backpacking trip yet?

My friend and I are getting the three week euro rail pass so we can travel wherever we want for the three weeks but we are going to for sure visit Italy ad the Czech Republic. Where are you going?

I have a lot of different dreams that I wanted to attempt but I'm not sure what I should do if I match to a Texas school next Friday. The big two are either travelling through Europe with my MCAT study buddy or hiking the Appalachian Trail. Beyond that, I still want to learn/teach myself to play the piano and brush up on my Spanish and start practicing some other languages through online teaching programs.

My friend and I are getting the three week euro rail pass so we can travel wherever we want for the three weeks but we are going to for sure visit Italy ad the Czech Republic. Where are you going?

I'm thinking of the transiberian railroad and the eurail from Beijing to London, then head to Taize. But not sure after that, although I'd like to visit Finland or Norway. Last month will be visiting my family.

For those of us who have secured our school for fall 2013. What are your plans now? I am in an SMP and entertained the idea of just quitting and go travel, but decided I will stick it out and finish. How are you gonna spend time before med school starts?

work and lift.

Working full-time, having some dental issues fixed while having a monthly salary, sleeping well, working out regularly (more weights to lift, extra miles to run), swimming regularly (can't beat Florida), and enjoying the rest of the application season by spending quality time with my wife and son. Life's good.

Everything you just said, is my favorite thing to do, EVERY DAY. (Hoping someone else has seen that movie.)

Seriously though, your plans sound basically just like mine.

I'm not at that point yet, but when I get there I think I want to take a trip. I would love to go back to Germany and Austria. Or maybe just see somewhere new. I'll be working until I max out my PTO and then use my PTO until classes start and then quit my job. I think 4-5 weeks PTO is what I could end up using. I would like to do some traveling in the US as well ideally on the west coast. And of course spend time with my family and all that jazz.

Keep working full time, volunteer at a camp for kids with heart problems, watch a ton of Netflix, spend time with my boyfriend and close friends, and go on lots of beach trips. I also plan on quitting my job a little early so that I can travel around the country for a bit on my way to med school. Maybe hike in the Grand Canyon, go hot air ballooning in New Mexico, go to a rodeo in Texas, etc. Just do all of the things that I have been meaning to do. Oh and get a gym membership and get in shape!

Have already watched the full seasons of BostonMed, NYMed (loved them both) and HopkinsMed (didn't like much, I don't know why) over YouTube and ABC online. It was nice to watch US medicine and hospital life from a TV show's perspective up to a certain degree. I hated much to see those arrogant nurses gossiping and making faces behind interns and residents, as well as the sex lives of some of the hot nurses out of the hospital in the NYMed, just sayin'.

Chilling.

Finishing the BS, only 2 classes. Biochem II is the only hard one of the two. Not really that stressed about it of course.

Working out a lot more, really trying to ramp up my pace and mileage running. Thinking about a half in 3 months or so. Hitting the weights a lot more too. Playing pick up soccer at the school gym more often. Taking my road bike out on long rides through the hills. When spring hits and the trails dry up I will be running them frequently. Maybe even slap some new brakes on my crappy old steel frame mountain bike and go ride them.

Part-time in the lab helping my PI crank out some manuscripts (gotta get published ya know). Part-time as a delivery driver to make some extra $$ to put away before school starts. Volunteering because I like it. Building houses with Habitat. Shadowing my mentor because he is a cool dude and I like it.

Thinking about brushing up on my spanish and german. Drinking beer with my friends on weeknights like a normal college student. Playing FIFA. Trying out cooking some new dishes I've been thinking about. Grilling. Reading books about random things. Watching med documentaries online and soccer games on TV.

This summer I will be back and forth a little between my future school, home, and homes away from home. S/O has ODS for the Navy HPSP so I'm going to be taking care of the dog for a while probably. Hope to hit up some good parks and stuff. Hiking and backpacking. Family vaca. Probably a vaca or two on the lakes with the S/O's fam.

Living the damn dream essentially. Still excited to start school though.

Quit work in exactly four months from this Friday (not that I'm counting or anything:rolleyes:) Hang out with friends, drink, hit the gym, go on dates, chill by the pool. This summer, i'll spend a few weeks at the lake house with friends boating and screwing off, and really just enjoy myself to the max.

Probably will have to put some of my fun on credit cards but I don't care. Very excited to start school, I cannot stand working this mindless corporate job.

I'm also going to continue the jimmie rustling of a few current OMS.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I'm also going to continue the jimmie rustling of a few current OMS.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

34076541.jpg

I'm going to buy a bunch of board review books and start studying now. Can't be too prepared!

Not srs.

I'm going to get buff for OMM class and finish writing my novel. That is all I'm going to have time for!