Plans on tackling debt after school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psuforever390

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How will you be tackling the enormous amount of debt after vet school? Several of my friends who decided to apply to vet school right after undergrad have yet to completely understand the idea of paying back student loans and I'm honestly scared for them when they tell me their numbers. I was already terrified of having undergrad debt which is why I opted to take 2 years until finally applying this year so I could pay it all off and to really think about if taking even more debt is what I want to do. I truly believe veterinary medicine is for me but I can't fathom the thought of having a 2k-3k monthly payment for student loans. I'm just curious about what everyone's plan is after graduating. Rely on IBR? Marry rich? Rob a bank?

Members don't see this ad.

Even after paying my loans for two years, I still have a significant amount of undergrad debt. After I am done with vet school, I will have about 250k of loans.

I am trying to focus on full time work this summer and using that money to reduce the loans I'll have to take out and hopefully pay some of the accrued interest so I'm not paying interest on interest. Other than that, I am planning to relay on IBR and if I can find a non-profit/government job I would do that just to get the 10 year loan forgiveness. But those are few and far between so I'm preparing to be paying for the full 25 years.

Most likely I will end up living with my mom for a year or so to figure out what I am going to do as far as repayment (not ideal since I will be 30...) and then going from there. Right now my goal is to take out as little as possible and live on the bare minimum. I have a strict budget that I actually stuck to last term, so I'm going to continue that for as long as I can. It scares me to look at my loan amount increase, but I think knowing the reality is better than not understanding repercussions of the loans you're taking out.

My parents always pushed the importance of not taking on debt, so I worked part time/full time throughout undergrad and applied to hundreds of scholarships to graduate debt free from undergrad. The working full time thing definitely isn't going to happen in vet school, so I'll spend breaks applying to scholarships to reduce the total debt I have to take on and working a few hours a week during the semester to cover basic living expenses. After vet school, I will continue living below my means with roommates, spending <$1 per meal, limiting vacations, picking up extra shifts, and paying more than the minimum payment for my debts. With all of this in mind, my goal is to pay off everything in 10 years as an OOS student.

Members don't see this ad :)
My parents always pushed the importance of not taking on debt, so I worked part time/full time throughout undergrad and applied to hundreds of scholarships to graduate debt free from undergrad. The working full time thing definitely isn't going to happen in vet school, so I'll spend breaks applying to scholarships to reduce the total debt I have to take on and working a few hours a week during the semester to cover basic living expenses. After vet school, I will continue living below my means with roommates, spending <$1 per meal, limiting vacations, picking up extra shifts, and paying more than the minimum payment for my debts. With all of this in mind, my goal is to pay off everything in 10 years as an OOS student.

Take care not to burn yourself out. It is a serious problem in the veterinary field.

Reactions: 11 users
Take care not to burn yourself out. It is a serious problem in the veterinary field.
I'll definitely be watching out for my mental health as well as it should take a higher priority than finances. I'll make time for my hobbies and family so I can reduce the stress on my daily routine. Given that though, I'll do my best to pay it off rapidly without compromising my well-being.

Reactions: 1 user
I was lucky to graduate with no undergraduate debt, however going to vet school at Ross has still left me with very substantial debt. With that being said, I was fully aware of the financial burden going into it and lived well within my means while attending vet school. I think the biggest thing that helped during vet school was the ability to return unused loan money at the end of the semester, interest free. I was able to do this every semester. Then again, if you are good at budgeting and take out less than the full amount available every semester, you will be in the same boat.

I was also extremely lucky to have the most supportive significant other (now husband) when deciding to take on this huge burden. He was always saying things like "we will do whatever we have to do to make it work" and "I don't mind putting my earnings towards your loans" etc. Had I not had his support, I'm not sure I would have gone through with everything. We plan on using his salary for all of our living expenses and using my salary strictly for loans. I've met with several financial planners and we have determined that one of the income based repayment programs is best for our situation, and we will pay the minimum every month while saving up for the tax at the end. Currently, we live in my grandpa's basement rent-free (not ideal for newlyweds but this is the only way we will be able to save up for a house to call our own), and still live well within our means. The only curve-ball in the situation is my husband deciding to quit his job and go back to school this year which cuts into our earnings for about a year and a half, but hopefully after he gets his MBA he will be able to find a higher paying job. He supported me flying off to a tropical island for 3 years, the least I can do is support him while he spends a year and half getting his MBA :)

So...a little bit of a combo of rely on IBR, and marrying rich someone who's fully committed to helping pay off my loans.

Reactions: 2 users
It's important to look at the numbers you expect and really decide if working yourself to the bone to pay it off within a specified time is better vs paying the minimum, saving for forgiveness, and planning to go that route. Sometimes it is cheaper to take the long route. Sometimes it might be slightly more expensive paying for more years,but provide much greater cash flow on a monthly basis. Sometimes, people are like me and were exceedingly lucky and have minimal debt they can pay off within just a few years. The answer will vary from person to person depending on personal spending habits, homeownership vs renting, presence of significant others and/or children, etc. There is no one plan that is right for everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
My plan is to marry Rich. He’s a nice guy.
I hear that he likes hanging out in the law school/medical school libraries. Maybe that's the best place to study at?

Reactions: 1 users
It's important to look at the numbers you expect and really decide if working yourself to the bone to pay it off within a specified time is better vs paying the minimum, saving for forgiveness, and planning to go that route. Sometimes it is cheaper to take the long route. Sometimes it might be slightly more expensive paying for more years,but provide much greater cash flow on a monthly basis. Sometimes, people are like me and were exceedingly lucky and have minimal debt they can pay off within just a few years. The answer will vary from person to person depending on personal spending habits, homeownership vs renting, presence of significant others and/or children, etc. There is no one plan that is right for everyone.
^this is very important. At higher loan amounts, paying minimum into IBR programs and preparing for the tax hit later on is by far the best option.

And just be prepared by how ****ing demoralizing interest is. I graduated with a pretty reasonable amount of debt (from undergrad and first year of vet school mostly) and have been paying on a 10 year plan to kill it. I've paid about 12k in so far and when I look... 7k has gone to principal, 5k to interest. Ugh.

Reactions: 3 users
Uncle Sam has some good paths to keeping the debt at manageable levels. At least for now G.I. Bill or HPSP through the Army are probably going to be better bets to pay down or reduce debt compared to PAVE and IBR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m curious if anyone is planning on using PAYE or REPAYE vs. IBR. From what I’ve heard they’re the better options, but harder to qualify for than IBR.

I’m curious if anyone is planning on using PAYE or REPAYE vs. IBR. From what I’ve heard they’re the better options, but harder to qualify for than IBR.
I'm currently on PAYE. Did you have questions about it?

I actually married rich (and for love and a lot of other things too, I promise). I probably wouldn't have applied to vet school otherwise. Despite my previous statements,the debt to income ratio makes it not worth it ( yes I changed my mind y'all).

REPAYE is the bee's meow. I'm on it. Your mileage may vary: Evaluate your options when the time is right, and make the best decision for you.

Overall those two options are typically better choices in the long run.

Caveat: if you are planning to be married to someone who makes money PAYE or REPAYE may not be the best move financially as they take into account your spouse's income even if you file taxes separately (vs. IBR if you file separately they do not). One of those tiny details people don't often consider or bring up but something to keep in mind.

They're all basically income based repayment plans. Just the % is different and the including vs not of spouse income.

I'm on REPAYE because that's the best one I qualified for, you're technically applying for all of them when you submit info and they give you whichever is best based on your income.

I can’t remember if it’s PAYE or REPAYE, but I read the government will pay 50% of the interest, which will significantly reduce the amount you’ll be taxed on after the 20 years. My only reservations, assuming I qualify for one of the two, is adding my future spouse’s income into the mix. It’s unlikely I’d be able to pay the monthly payments on my own, and I wouldn’t want to put my debt burden on someone else.

I can’t remember if it’s PAYE or REPAYE, but I read the government will pay 50% of the interest, which will significantly reduce the amount you’ll be taxed on after the 20 years. My only reservations, assuming I qualify for one of the two, is adding my future spouse’s income into the mix. It’s unlikely I’d be able to pay the monthly payments on my own, and I wouldn’t want to put my debt burden on someone else.

I don't know where you read that, but definitely isn't true. They aren't paying any of the interest.

I am EXTREMELY lucky in that I have no undergrad debt (from getting 4+ scholarships every year), am able to pay for my first year up front, that my parents pay for some of my housing, and that my partner is in a reasonably well paying field. I hope to graduate less than 80k in debt and am not overly worried with paying it off, even if I intend to do a residency. That being said, I don't think I would've gone to vet school if it meant going 300k+ in debt for a school like Ross. But we all have our financial limits, and so this will be drastically different for many people.

I plan on paying the minimum for 10 years on on a ibr plan and applying for PSLF at that point. I've played around with the debt calulator through VIN, and I'm thinking this gives my partner the option of staying at home if they choose to. I'll have a moderate amount of debt when I'm finished (~130k), and it's scary thinking about paying that off on the normal 10 year plan with only 1 income.

After vet school I’ll go back onto an IBR plan. I have two years of qualifying payments toward the loan forgiveness plan for public servants already completed. I would love it if that works out in the end but if not I’ll pay the length of the loan and then the taxes on the remainder. If I can’t do that for some reason when the time comes, I’ll do what any law abiding person who can’t pay their taxes does - get a tax lawyer and work out a new repayment plan with the IRS.

loan forgiveness plan for public servants already completed.

Do you plan to go into public service once you graduate? If so, do you know yet what your job options are such that you will qualify for the loan forgiveness plan? Is the plan you are mentioning state or federal? (there are some state-specific ones out there)

Do you plan to go into public service once you graduate? If so, do you know yet what your job options are such that you will qualify for the loan forgiveness plan? Is the plan you are mentioning state or federal? (there are some state-specific ones out there)

Yes, I have a background in public health and government work and that’s where I’d like to return when I finish vet school. I have ideas of what jobs I can do at the state level through either public health or agriculture with a DVM. There are also some non-entry level jobs available that don’t require a DVM that I would be well suited for in areas like epidemiology. I have less experience working with federal agencies, but there are more options for DVM’s there - definitely if I want to do more with entomology.

The loan program I was referencing is the federal program (PSLF).

It is a very bad idea to count on PSLF. Last I heard, 99% of applications for PSLF were denied. Unless you have new info, there is a good chance that PSLF is not going to be a reliable avenue for loan forgiveness.

It is a very bad idea to count on PSLF. Last I heard, 99% of applications for PSLF were denied. Unless you have new info, there is a good chance that PSLF is not going to be a reliable avenue for loan forgiveness.

That’s because most people who THOUGHT they qualified didn’t actually qualify for it because no one really knows how it works and what you have to do to get it, since the first batch of people just got forgiveness.
Still definitely agree to not rely on PSLF or any kind of loan forgiveness program though since you don’t know if it’ll even be around when you need it.

Reactions: 4 users
+1000

It's really important to figure it out in the beginning which route you're going to take. Aggressively pay down to zero, or do an income contingent plan and pay the minimum every month and set aside some sort of savings/investment account for the tax at the end. Use the VIN Foundation calculator to figure out which works for you. Even if you're banking on PSLF, still save for the tax at 20-25yrs just in case, given that 99% of applications for PSLF submitted thus far after what people thought were 120 qualifying payments have been denied. If it works out for you, great you now have a huge chunk of cash you can put in retirement or to upgrade a house or to pay for your kids to become vets too. But if it doesn't, you won't be SOL. If you go with plan A, the more you pay every month, the more you save. If you go with plan B, any extra amount you pay towards your loans goes down the drain so you should invest your money wisely and don't even think about your loans outside of making sure you are on top of getting your annual paperwork in on time, following up to make sure you're all set, and making sure your autopay is set up.

Based on my debt load ~$140k principal and my personal income averaging $90-100k since graduation, I would have paid less on a standard 10 year plan than I would have on any of the income contingent plans. So we decided to pay extra aggressively to save even more money. I also had my husband's income of initially $45k as a postdoc for the first 2 years, then $75k as a grown up scientist to live on as well as his sizeable savings. I still enrolled in PAYE so that my minimal payments were 0 for the first year, minimal the second year, and less than $700 thereafter. That allowed me to make minimal payments on all of my individual loans, and put an additional $2000-3500 per month specifically on my highest interest loan so that virtually all of that additional amount was going towards principal and not interest. We also opted not to throw a $30k wedding, and put the money for that and what would have been an engagement ring and wedding bands into our loans (neither of us cared). Any wedding gifts from family went straight into my loans. We also waited 3 years after graduation to buy a house to concentrate on my loans, which was totally fine. I knocked out each of the 6 loans one by one. Once I got to the last big one with the lowest interest rate 3 years in, I got kicked off of PAYE, since my payment on a 10 yr plan was less than that calculated for PAYE. In the end I only paid $170k total on a $140k loan in 4.5 years. A part of the reason my interest amount is so low is because during my 4th year I took out $35k at a lower interest rate to pay off $15k in interest and $20k of the higher interest loan. Not taking that into account, I paid $190k total to pay off $160k principal. And now onto paying off our mortgage, and pooping out babies!

Couldn't have done it without hubby's savings/income and living like a student for 3 years after graduation. But even without that, I could easily have achieved paying on the 10 year plan without hardship while living comfortably. That first year of paying aggressively made a huge difference (paying off principal instead of accruing interest such that I wouldn't be able to touch my principal for a while), so I'm eternally grateful for not having done an internship.

Reactions: 5 users
+1000

It's really important to figure it out in the beginning which route you're going to take. Aggressively pay down to zero, or do an income contingent plan and pay the minimum every month and set aside some sort of savings/investment account for the tax at the end. Use the VIN Foundation calculator to figure out which works for you. Even if you're banking on PSLF, still save for the tax at 20-25yrs just in case, given that 99% of applications for PSLF submitted thus far after what people thought were 120 qualifying payments have been denied. If it works out for you, great you now have a huge chunk of cash you can put in retirement or to upgrade a house or to pay for your kids to become vets too. But if it doesn't, you won't be SOL. If you go with plan A, the more you pay every month, the more you save. If you go with plan B, any extra amount you pay towards your loans goes down the drain so you should invest your money wisely and don't even think about your loans outside of making sure you are on top of getting your annual paperwork in on time, following up to make sure you're all set, and making sure your autopay is set up.

Based on my debt load ~$140k principal and my personal income averaging $90-100k since graduation, I would have paid less on a standard 10 year plan than I would have on any of the income contingent plans. So we decided to pay extra aggressively to save even more money. I also had my husband's income of initially $45k as a postdoc for the first 2 years, then $75k as a grown up scientist to live on as well as his sizeable savings. I still enrolled in PAYE so that my minimal payments were 0 for the first year, minimal the second year, and less than $700 thereafter. That allowed me to make minimal payments on all of my individual loans, and put an additional $2000-3500 per month specifically on my highest interest loan so that virtually all of that additional amount was going towards principal and not interest. We also opted not to throw a $30k wedding, and put the money for that and what would have been an engagement ring and wedding bands into our loans (neither of us cared). Any wedding gifts from family went straight into my loans. We also waited 3 years after graduation to buy a house to concentrate on my loans, which was totally fine. I knocked out each of the 6 loans one by one. Once I got to the last big one with the lowest interest rate 3 years in, I got kicked off of PAYE, since my payment on a 10 yr plan was less than that calculated for PAYE. In the end I only paid $170k total on a $140k loan in 4.5 years. A part of the reason my interest amount is so low is because during my 4th year I took out $35k at a lower interest rate to pay off $15k in interest and $20k of the higher interest loan. Not taking that into account, I paid $190k total to pay off $160k principal. And now onto paying off our mortgage, and pooping out babies!

Couldn't have done it without hubby's savings/income and living like a student for 3 years after graduation. But even without that, I could easily have achieved paying on the 10 year plan without hardship while living comfortably. That first year of paying aggressively made a huge difference (paying off principal instead of accruing interest such that I wouldn't be able to touch my principal for a while), so I'm eternally grateful for not having done an internship.
How do you think this changes for someone who will have a low debt burden but may do an internship and/or residency? I am totally unsure. I would plan to make payments while doing these, if possible, as I have a SO who can pay for other things. But so much can change obviously and that may not be possible.

In general, how are people planning to pay off loans if you plan to do an internship or residency?

How do you think this changes for someone who will have a low debt burden but may do an internship and/or residency? I am totally unsure. I would plan to make payments while doing these, if possible, as I have a SO who can pay for other things. But so much can change obviously and that may not be possible.

In general, how are people planning to pay off loans if you plan to do an internship or residency?
I know I always see the advice to not defer your loans while doing internships/residency. If you do end up sticking with an income based repayment plan, you're that many years closer to being free, and your low intern/resident salary is going to make your monthly payments really low.

I personally chose to defer in residency. My reasoning was that I would rather put that that money into a savings account for things like health/car/pet emergencies rather than throw what would amount to half a drop in a swimming pool of my loans. I don't know if it was the best choice per se (and it may not have been), but I did end up having to dip into it several times for unforseen emergencies and I was thankful I had it.

However, in retrospect knowing that my residency payments may well have qualified as time under PSLF (no one told me they would, so I had no idea) I might have taken the IBR route.

I'm in a similar boat and not sure what to do yet. I'm a second year so still some time to go. I'm planning on doing a lab animal residency and will try and pay off my loans ASAP. I'll be takingout around 90-100k for vet school and my SO will have a decent career in cybersecurity. Will see how it goes but for me it seems like paying it off in 10 years is cheaper than doing IBR or PAYE, but I'm not sure what the take home pay will be during residency. VIN has me at 1300/month towards loans and that seems like a lot.

1. Minimize debt (Worked in vet school, did not pay $ towards loans while in vet school - instead just took out fewer loans, applied to and won a few scholarships)
2. Do research (spent hours and hours of my life going through the various scenarios for each repayment option, residency vs. not, married vs. not, public service vs. not, etc to find out what would minimize the total amount I'd pay in the end - do this IN VET SCHOOL so you're familiar with your options and don't have to panic about your selection when looking for jobs or starting repayments)
3. Be flexible (things change, you might end up having some big expenses, your loan servicer might royally eff things up for you, be prepared to adapt and make sure you're submitting all your appropriate paperwork and documents on time or early and DOCUMENT everything so you have a record)

My plan was basically the above but specifically I'm shooting for PSLF. I don't think it's unrealistic to plan on it - it is an option that was available when the loans were taken out therefore if they try to remove that option or change it it should only affect people who take out loans after they change it. The key is making sure YOU are doing the legwork, research, documentation, etc to make sure all of your paperwork is correct and in order. Don't rely on the loan servicer to know about it, it really isn't their job to make sure you're making qualifying payments, it's a deal between you and the government so you have to know your stuff. It kills me when people I know complain that "they didn't know they had to ______ " and then something detrimental happened (insert whatever thing you want - reapply for IBR, recertify the employer as qualifying, etc). Do the research, know what needs to get done, and do it.

Someone just posted a link to a podcast about PSLF on Facebook, full disclosure I haven't listened to it yet but from the website it makes sense to me: What is the PSLF Snowball? | Student Loan Planner

This is me, but without the SO. I do have generous family that have helped, but day to day living expenses are on me now.
I had no undergraduate debt thanks to scholarships and I only borrowed about $60,000 for vet school. I had 'leftover' undergrad scholarships that paid for ~85% of first year and I paid the rest of that year out of savings. My parents wanted to cover my living expenses that I split with a roommate and I went to my lower-end-of-tuition-range IS school. I am technically doing income-based payment right now but I fully intend to pay it off within just a couple years once I finish my residency in July. I signed up for IBR simply because if I were to get in a tight financial position, I didn't want to be required to make the full payment. I am free to pay more that required each month (and I do!) but if things are lean that month because I had unexpected expenses (here's looking at you $3,000 adrenalectomy for my dog), I wouldn't have to pay the full 10-year payment. My required payments have gone up from $0 intern year to $50 and now about $130 as my taxes have more accurately shown total income, but I always pay at least $200. When I have extra at the end of the month, I pay another hundred or so here and there. When I finish residency, my income should be high enough that it'll be pointless to keep renewing my IBR since the payment based off my income will be higher than the standard ten year repayment. But for now, I like the added protection of being able to only pay the minimum if I need to. My interest is paid off, and even paying $200/month I am still covering the approximately $140 of interest that accumulates each month and putting $50 to principal. When I am done, I'll hammer out the rest very quickly. And yes, I know I am very fortunate and thank my family for being so generous and setting me up for success.

Last edited:
This is me, but without the SO. I do have generous family that have helped, but day to day living expenses are on me now.
I had no undergraduate debt thanks to scholarships and I only borrowed about $60,000 for vet school. I had 'leftover' undergrad scholarships that paid for ~85% of first year and I paid the rest of that year out of savings. My parents wanted to cover my living expenses that I split with a roommate and I went to my lower-end-of-tuition-range IS school. I am technically doing income-based payment right now but I fully intend to pay it off within just a couple years once I finish my residency in July. I signed up for IBR simply because if I were to get in a tight financial position, I didn't want to be required to make the full payment. I am free to pay more that required each month (and I do!) but if things are lean that month because I had unexpected expenses (here's looking at you $3,000 adrenalectomy for my dog), I wouldn't have to pay the full 10-year payment. My required payments have gone up from $0 intern year to $50 and now about $130 as my taxes have more accurately shown total income, but I always pay at least $200. When I have extra at the end of the month, I pay another hundred or so here and there. When I finish residency, my income should be high enough that it'll be pointless to keep renewing my IBR since the payment based off my income will be higher than the standard ten year repayment. But for now, I like the added protection of being able to only pay the minimum if I need to. My interest is paid off, and even paying $200/month I am still covering the approximately $140 of interest that accumulates each month and putting $50 to principal. When I am done, I'll hammer out the rest very quickly. And yes, I know I am very fortunate and thank my family for being so generous and setting me up for success.
Someone told me that if you take out loans a certain way, then you can't switch. Is this wrong? Or if you switch, you still have to pay out the loans as if you took them out the 1st way.

So like, if it says I would have to pay $130k in loans total doing it IBR or 110k if doing it 10 year and I originally pay it back as IBR then switch to 10 year, I would still be paying 130k total. Is this correct or no? I am a bit confused about this lol

Someone told me that if you take out loans a certain way, then you can't switch. Is this wrong? Or if you switch, you still have to pay out the loans as if you took them out the 1st way.

So like, if it says I would have to pay $130k in loans total doing it IBR or 110k if doing it 10 year and I originally pay it back as IBR then switch to 10 year, I would still be paying 130k total. Is this correct or no? I am a bit confused about this lol
As far as I know you can switch, but I'm not sure I understand what you're describing. There are intricacies when switching from income-based plan to income-based plan (like interest capitalizes, which increases your balance, which increases your payments) that make it so you don't want to switch from PAYE to REPAYE back to PAYE all the time, particularly if you are accumulating interest. But all you have to do to get off IBR is not recertify at the end of the year and it'll default you to the standard 10 year payment. The ten year payment amount is calculated from what you originally owed so if you started at 130k, payed it down to 110k on IBR, then switched, your 10-yr payment will be whatever it would have been on the first day you went into repayment (@130k) not the 'new' amount of 110k. Maybe that's the source of your confusion? I mean yeah If you start with IBR then switch to the 10-year, yeah, it'll end up costing you more because you're not paying as much each month and interest is based on your balance but I can't see how you wouldn't save money by paying it off faster provided you have <100,000 debt.

The key is making sure YOU are doing the legwork, research, documentation, etc to make sure all of your paperwork is correct and in order. Don't rely on the loan servicer to know about it, it r

I think this is the key in my eyes. It's really how I treated my college course planning too. I got such wrong and contradictory information when planning out my semesters of undergrad. If it wasn't for me being diligent and refusing to take No for an answer, I would have had at least a semester delay in transferring from community college.
You are your own advocate with this program. Unless they roll out some actual program guidelines in response to all these lawsuits getting filed against loan services and/or the DoE, there's not going to be a simple step by step guide to follow. Keep reading. Set reminders for deadlines. Pester your congresspeople.

It shouldn't change all that much other than that you're going to end up paying a lot more for your loans if you end up deciding to pay it off due to not being able to pay aggressively during the first 4-5 years of your career.

Plug everything into the VIN foundation simulator, which has an area that you plug in internship/residency information and expected first year out in practice salary. The simulations assume you will pick one plan and stick with it. So if you won't be able to afford the 10 yr standard loan repayment amount on your intern/resident salaries, and are looking into doing an income contingent plan during training, and then seeing if it would make sense to pay off, you may have to do a little more calculations yourself. You can put your info in, then at the bottom of the page you can look at the monthly breakdown of what happens to your loans. Take a look at the monthly repayment summary for PAYE (or whichever you think is appropriate for you), and look at the summary for the Month that you will likely be getting your first real paycheck. Take all of those numbers and plug it into the simulator again as someone who is 4 year out from graduation with X amount of interest and Y income. Combine the data of the two and see what makes sense for you. It'll be a little harder to plan because even though your salary will likely be higher, after 4 additional years of living like a pauper, you'll probabaly want to live a little and life gets really expensive when you actually decide to live it.

I mean, if all you'll be able to afford is pay the minimum during training, I wouldn't worry about it and defer making that decision to once you're about to get a real salary and you have a better sense of your situation. If you have enough cash with your partner's income to potentially pay more, that's when you really want to dig deep into it.

I think this is the key in my eyes. It's really how I treated my college course planning too. I got such wrong and contradictory information when planning out my semesters of undergrad. If it wasn't for me being diligent and refusing to take No for an answer, I would have had at least a semester delay in transferring from community college.
You are your own advocate with this program. Unless they roll out some actual program guidelines in response to all these lawsuits getting filed against loan services and/or the DoE, there's not going to be a simple step by step guide to follow. Keep reading. Set reminders for deadlines. Pester your congresspeople.

Getting the wrong info from unreliable people is one big problem, but even if you have the right info, relying on the loan servicer to actually process things correctly every ****ing year is actually a lot harder than you'd think.... like I've had so many friends have issues recertifyimg their income contingent plans each year and unexpectedly having their interest capitalize and getting a bill for a huge payment, etc...

After vet school I’ll go back onto an IBR plan. I have two years of qualifying payments toward the loan forgiveness plan for public servants already completed.

You do realize those two years won't count towards your vet school loans though? Like if you made 24 qualifying payments on your $30k undergraduate loans, you still need to make 120 qualifying payments on your however many hundreds of thousands of dollars of your vet school loan starting after the grace period. Also if you end up consolidating your previous direct loans with any of the federal loans in vet school in the event you end up needing to consolidate loans upon graduation, or you'll even lose the 24 credits you already have on your undergrad loans. (Def look into it because I have no idea what happens to your minimal payments if you have them split up like that on two different timelines).

From the Feds:
If you have both Direct Loans and other types of federal student loans that you want to consolidate to take advantage of PSLF, it’s important to understand that if you consolidate your existing Direct Loans with the other loans, you will lose credit for any qualifying PSLF payments you made on your Direct Loans before they were consolidated. In this situation, you may want to leave your existing Direct Loans out of the consolidation and consolidate only your other federal student loans.

Last edited:
I didn't know you could do this. Is this an option for any residency, that you know of?

I'm not sure to be honest. I think part of it was because it was a combined residency/PhD program, so I while I was a resident I was also a part-time" graduate student" in name and took a resident-specific class or two every semester, which allowed me to defer (even though I ultimately elected to do my PhD somewhere else after boards and completion of the formal residency part).

Other residencies will incorporate MS degrees into the programs (a lot of the ones here do - very basic clinical research MSs that are usually directly related to their specialty) and that likely also gives residents the option to defer.

However, I could be totally wrong and all residents can do it. Path is always a bit of an anomaly of a specialty organization-wise because we don't go through the match, have so many combined programs, etc.

Last edited:
You do realize those two years won't count towards your vet school loans though? Like if you made 24 qualifying payments on your $30k undergraduate loans, you still need to make 120 qualifying payments on your however many hundreds of thousands of dollars of your vet school loan starting after the grace period. Also if you end up consolidating your previous direct loans with any of the federal loans in vet school in the event you end up needing to consolidate loans upon graduation, or you'll even lose the 24 credits you already have on your undergrad loans. (Def look into it because I have no idea what happens to your minimal payments if you have them split up like that on two different timelines).

From the Feds:
If you have both Direct Loans and other types of federal student loans that you want to consolidate to take advantage of PSLF, it’s important to understand that if you consolidate your existing Direct Loans with the other loans, you will lose credit for any qualifying PSLF payments you made on your Direct Loans before they were consolidated. In this situation, you may want to leave your existing Direct Loans out of the consolidation and consolidate only your other federal student loans.
This is correct. I specifically did not consolidate my loans after graduation because I have 3 years of qualifying payments on my undergrad loans already. In my accounts summary page I can actually see how many qualifying payments I have for each individual loan.

Also agreed about servicers effing things up. It happened to me despite sending things in months early and I've spent more hours on the phone with them trying to fix things than I like to think about. But it's a crap ton of money on the line so I do what I have to to make things work

I actually married rich (and for love and a lot of other things too, I promise). I probably wouldn't have applied to vet school otherwise. Despite my previous statements,the debt to income ratio makes it not worth it ( yes I changed my mind y'all).
Wait so are you no longer going to vet school!? I am invested in seeing what happens to the person who applied to all schools!

Wait so are you no longer going to vet school!? I am invested in seeing what happens to the person who applied to all schools!

No I am going to SGU( I start in January and it was cheaper than most of my OOS), but if it wasn't for my husband, I probably wouldn't have done vet med.

Two common mistakes regarding student loans:

Deferring federal loans during internship and residency. It's almost always better to use a Federal Direct Consolidation loan immediately after graduation, waive your grace period, and get into an income-based repayment plan for your first 12 months. Renew based on your continued internship/residency income each year.

Trying to aggressively pay off loans as soon as possible. For the typical recent graduate with a low income to debt ratio (say <0.5) you will generally be better off going with one of the income-based repayment plans.