Plasma Esterase/Pseudo Cholinesterase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So with the ITE tommorrow. Point of confusion to clarify:

Plasma esterase metabolism occurs for: Remifent, Esmolol, and ester local anesthetics.

pseudocholinesterase for metabolism of : Mivacurium and Sux right?

I know there are no K types, but on a ABA retired Q, there's a question about A pt was given sux and then had no twitches 20 min later. What drugs should be avoided?
1)cocaine
2)Remi
3)Mivacurium
4)Esmolol

Dont know the answer....lost the key.
The K types are like below (if you forgot..ahhaha I did)
A=1,2,3
B=1,3
C=2,4
D=4
 
So with the ITE tommorrow. Point of confusion to clarify:

Plasma esterase metabolism occurs for: Remifent, Esmolol, and ester local anesthetics.

pseudocholinesterase for metabolism of : Mivacurium and Sux right?

I know there are no K types, but on a ABA retired Q, there's a question about A pt was given sux and then had no twitches 20 min later. What drugs should be avoided?
1)cocaine
2)Remi
3)Mivacurium
4)Esmolol

Dont know the answer....lost the key.
The K types are like below (if you forgot..ahhaha I did)
A=1,2,3
B=1,3
C=2,4
D=4

esters are metabolized by pseudocholinesterase, as well.
http://books.google.com/books?id=qV... pseudocholinesterase succinylcholine&f=false

esmolol is metabolized by RBC esterases.

remi is metabolized by non-specific plasma esterases.

so the answer would be B.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
esters are metabolized by pseudocholinesterase, as well.
http://books.google.com/books?id=qV... pseudocholinesterase succinylcholine&f=false

esmolol is metabolized by RBC esterases.

remi is metabolized by non-specific plasma esterases.

so the answer would be B.

I agree with you the answer is B. However, when I read through some of Jensen's stuff, it seemed to suggest ester anesthetics are also prohibited if you have a pseudocholinesterase def. Thanks for reassuring that's NOT the case.
 
I agree with you the answer is B. However, when I read through some of Jensen's stuff, it seemed to suggest ester anesthetics are also prohibited if you have a pseudocholinesterase def. Thanks for reassuring that's NOT the case.

Cocaine is an ester anesthetic so it would be contraindicated in a pt with pseudocholinesterase deficiency as would mivacurium.
 
I agree with you the answer is B. However, when I read through some of Jensen's stuff, it seemed to suggest ester anesthetics are also prohibited if you have a pseudocholinesterase def. Thanks for reassuring that's NOT the case.

that was exactly NOT my point. esters ARE metabolized by pseudocholinesterase and you should therefore be cautious in a deficiency.
 
that was exactly NOT my point. esters ARE metabolized by pseudocholinesterase and you should therefore be cautious in a deficiency.

sorry yes that's what i meant.....too much studying..eyes are going sleeeeeepy