Plasma Volume vs Interstitial Volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW M3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kaplan and Goljan both maintain that plasma volume is 1/3 of ECF and interstitial volume is 2/3 of ECF.

First Aid and BRS say plasma volume is 1/4 of ECF and interstial volume is 3/4 of ECF.

Therefore, if a question asks, how much 0.9 M IV saline do you give a person to raise their plasma volume by 1 liter, what do you answer?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan and Goljan both maintain that plasma volume is 1/3 of ECF and interstitial volume is 2/3 of ECF.

First Aid and BRS say plasma volume is 1/4 of ECF and interstial volume is 3/4 of ECF.

Therefore, if a question asks, how much 0.9 M IV saline do you give a person to raise their plasma volume by 1 liter, what do you answer?

3 liters. Kaplan notes also say it's 1/3 and 2/3rds. and that's what i learned in physio class. I doubt on the test they'll have numbers that are really close, they might have something like 1 liter, 3 liters, 6 liters, 12 liters.. but i don't think they'd put down 3liters, 4 liters as answer choices.