Plastics applicants..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rddoms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any statistics on the number of DO grads applying to integrated plastics programs. Is it rare for these programs to get DO applicants? If anyone has any input, it wiuld be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It is my general impression from this board and people i have spoken to that it is rare for a DO to match to combined plastics. You will probably have to take STEP 1, and do well, among other things.

That being said, if you are highly motivated and well-qualified, you should def go for it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Good luck.

I know that it is rare, but I think that it is partially due to the lack of DO apps. I am hoping that my masters degree and a couple of publications will help. We'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not because of the lack of DO apps, it's because direct plastics right now is the most difficult residency program to match to, and there are only around 82 spots in the entire country.

Of course, if it is an allopathic program, they are going to give preference to allopathic graduates. It is the same situation as any competitive field, such as derm or rad onc. Like I said, you should go for it and it sounds like you are well qualified, but I am just trying to give you a realistic perspective from what I have heard and researched. I think it would be naive to think that its because of the lack of DO apps. But like I said, if you love plastics, you should go for it, and don't let anyone else tell you otehrwise. You should have a realistic picture of what you're up against tho.

Best of luck

Thanks for the reply. I know that it won't be easy to get there, but I had a great surgeon for my AVM reconstruction, and he sold me on plastics. I can only hope that my determination will play a role.

Exactly. Work hard, show dedication, and make the right connects. Good luck. We're all in the same boat :)