Playing Catch Up at The Pharmacy Everyday

Started by nsxiboi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nsxiboi

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys,

I've been staffed at a CVS/pharmacy for about 6 months now and very grateful to have a home store. The problem is that the store is trending to the bottom of the district. Low SSS, execution, and KPM. Volume is about 1100 per week, so it is a low volume store. It is staffed with the PIC and just myself with 2 techs and 1 clerk.

I believe that the problem is the PIC. She is too slow! She opens every single morning except the days where I have a 12 hour shift (once a week). When I start my shift at 2 PM, the store is ALWAYS backed up. There are about 8 - 10 reds in the QA, voice-mails aren't checked, transfers aren't done, etc. In addition to that, new faxes, drop offs, and e-prescriptions are coming in. To top if off, I also have to finish up the ReadyFills due at 9 PM. So basically, I'm doing double her work every single day just to be barely caught up. There is a report that you can print out daily and it shows that I verify double what she does. On my days where I work 12 hrs, I have no problem and everything is under control.

So basically to sum it up. My PIC is slow in the mornings and i have to catch up everyday she works. With this going on everyday, the pharmacy can't get ahead in KPM, execution, and SSS.

Already contacted my DM. What do you guys thinK? Not trying to get her fired, but I just cannot work under an incompetent pharmacist who has no drive to improve a pharmacy.
 
Wait... so instead of talking to the PIC about it, you went over her head first? What is her work flow like? Do the techs slack whenever she's working and let the queue get behind?
 
Yes I did. Its been like this for the past three months. The mornings are busy and there is a lot more to do. We open with one tech. When opening, the tech has to take care of insurance rejections, e rx, faxes, and new drop offs, etc. So in this case, the pharmacist has to fill but she can't keep up with these things in the mornings. Another tech then comes in at 11. My shift starts at 2 and its always hectic. All the techs work hard and they fill according to time to keep up with their QP.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The pic is a very sensitive person. What would be the best way to address this issue with the PIC? I definitely do want to work this out, at the same time I would also like to move to a different store once a management position opens up.
 
i've been in your shoes. told the pic, and he basically said he was doing the best he could. told the dm later "off the record" and he said they knew i was verifying most of the rxs in there but since it was being handled they didnt see a problem. oh, and thanks for the hard work...
 
My PIC is slow too. Everytime I arrive in the afternoon, the counter is a mess and there is a lot of catch up to do. So I feel your pain. Your partner can make your experience a really easy one or a difficult one. I have to say, I'm glad I don't work at CVS. All that stuff you mentioned that you have to do during the day would drive me crazy.
 
hey guys,

I've been staffed at a CVS/pharmacy for about 6 months now and very grateful to have a home store. The problem is that the store is trending to the bottom of the district. Low SSS, execution, and KPM. Volume is about 1100 per week, so it is a low volume store. It is staffed with the PIC and just myself with 2 techs and 1 clerk.

I believe that the problem is the PIC. She is too slow! She opens every single morning except the days where I have a 12 hour shift (once a week). When I start my shift at 2 PM, the store is ALWAYS backed up. There are about 8 - 10 reds in the QA, voice-mails aren't checked, transfers aren't done, etc. In addition to that, new faxes, drop offs, and e-prescriptions are coming in. To top if off, I also have to finish up the ReadyFills due at 9 PM. So basically, I'm doing double her work every single day just to be barely caught up. There is a report that you can print out daily and it shows that I verify double what she does. On my days where I work 12 hrs, I have no problem and everything is under control.

So basically to sum it up. My PIC is slow in the mornings and i have to catch up everyday she works. With this going on everyday, the pharmacy can't get ahead in KPM, execution, and SSS.

Already contacted my DM. What do you guys thinK? Not trying to get her fired, but I just cannot work under an incompetent pharmacist who has no drive to improve a pharmacy.

Low SSS, execution, KPM, all bull**** CVS metrics.
 
Why the hell does the PIC open every morning except for one day a week? That in of it self speaks volumes of how the store is being operated. Before I spoke with the DM about the PIC's performance I'd first clarify (or justify) such a lop-sided schedule.
 
Wait, you work in retail and there's overlap? Congrats!

You know, you are full of crap. In my district there are 20 stores. Seven have overlap with volumes ranging from 2200 to 5000. None of the stores w/o overlap do more than 2000 per week and most are below 1500.
 
You know, you are full of crap. In my district there are 20 stores. Seven have overlap with volumes ranging from 2200 to 5000. None of the stores w/o overlap do more than 2000 per week and most are below 1500.

Notice OP's store is 1100 a week. Even if it were over 1500, I'd still say that. I could never imagine overlap where I work, I guess CVS has better staffing.
BTW they cut our tech hours yet again, during inventory time. Apparently most stores in our district with overlap are now getting it cut. They've also closed several stores in the area. Maybe give out less Wellness coupons and gift cards and save some money to hire more staff? I don't see our script count going up since Wellness+ started, just more people shopping for front-end items (which I guess is good but doesn't bring in as much revenue).
 
Notice OP's store is 1100 a week. Even if it were over 1500, I'd still say that. I could never imagine overlap where I work, I guess CVS has better staffing.
BTW they cut our tech hours yet again, during inventory time. Apparently most stores in our district with overlap are now getting it cut. They've also closed several stores in the area. Maybe give out less Wellness coupons and gift cards and save some money to hire more staff? I don't see our script count going up since Wellness+ started, just more people shopping for front-end items (which I guess is good but doesn't bring in as much revenue).

This is part of being on a sinking ship. Rite-Aid is so financially challenged that they must resort to gimmicks to bring people in and must cut expenses (read payroll) more than would be prudent just to stay afloat.

Off the major chains in the East (CVS, Rite-Aid & Walgreens), CVS has more staffing both tech and pharmacist. I can only speak for my region and my district. I can tell by some of the posts that field management in some other parts of the country are not nearly as savvy as where I am. That's why my experience is positive and others have a less than pleasant experience with CVS. With a company of this size, your experience is only as good as your immediate superiors. For example, Dr. M was completely screwed by his pharmacy supervisor who clearly held hours that should have been placed in the stores to make himself look good. My boss, puts every hour into the stores.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is part of being on a sinking ship. Rite-Aid is so financially challenged that they must resort to gimmicks to bring people in and must cut expenses (read payroll) more than would be prudent just to stay afloat.

Off the major chains in the East (CVS, Rite-Aid & Walgreens), CVS has more staffing both tech and pharmacist. I can only speak for my region and my district. I can tell by some of the posts that field management in some other parts of the country are not nearly as savvy as where I am. That's why my experience is positive and others have a less than pleasant experience with CVS. With a company of this size, your experience is only as good as your immediate superiors. For example, Dr. M was completely screwed by his pharmacy supervisor who clearly held hours that should have been placed in the stores to make himself look good. My boss, puts every hour into the stores.

I'm thinking about doing this retail management rotation that is going to be with a CVS district supervisor. The CVS I'm rotating at for my APPE definitely has better management than the CVS stores that I worked for on Long Island. I wouldn't mind working at this store if not for the commute that I'd have to deal with coming into Manhattan. Then again, all the employees at this store either live in the area or live in Manhattan and take the subway.

Or may be corporate just bothers them less because they are a high volume store. About 3000 scripts/week and they are only open from 8AM-9PM on Weekdays + Saturday, and 9AM-6PM on Sunday.
 
You know, you are full of crap. In my district there are 20 stores. Seven have overlap with volumes ranging from 2200 to 5000. None of the stores w/o overlap do more than 2000 per week and most are below 1500.

I work in a store that does 2500 a week with zero overlap. Each day has 1 pharmacist working the whole day. Luckily they have a full staff of very competent techs and things run very smoothly. When I arrive at 4 pm, the pharmacist typically has 3 stacks of black baskets, but is always able to clear everything out by time time we close at 9 pm. I'm not sure if there is a pharmacist/tech ratio in Michigan.