-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Playing guitar in this specialty
Started by 33wins
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I play guitar and banjo. If you receive "damage to finger tips of the non-dominant hand" you're doing something wrong, but maybe you are referring to just simple callus formation, which I must admit has pretty much ruined my fine proprioception on the very tips of my fingers. Implication for my practice? I do every arterial line with an ultrasound, which means I do it in two minutes instead of poking via palpation for a few minutes and switching over to the ultrasound anyway.
Other than that, rock on dude
Other than that, rock on dude
I play guitar and banjo. If you receive "damage to finger tips of the non-dominant hand" you're doing something wrong, but maybe you are referring to just simple callus formation, which I must admit has pretty much ruined my fine proprioception on the very tips of my fingers. Implication for my practice? I do every arterial line with an ultrasound, which means I do it in two minutes instead of poking via palpation for a few minutes and switching over to the ultrasound anyway.
Other than that, rock on dude
Also you can't bill for palpation
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, having calluses is fine.
I’m a tube jockey and the OB nurse’s bitch…the only thing calloused is my heart.
I play guitar (poorly). Guess the one benefit I got from it was having the dexterity to tie a one-handed knot (sewing in my central lines) with either hand.
Never developed callouses to the point that I couldn’t palpate a pulse, but with ultrasounds so prevalent, now, it’s not an issue these days.
Never developed callouses to the point that I couldn’t palpate a pulse, but with ultrasounds so prevalent, now, it’s not an issue these days.
Been playing for decades...if anything it helps with finger dexterity, and doesn't seem to affect my ability to palpate pulses.
It's a great time to learn guitar. There are many online resources for learning how to play and for buying equipment. Also, the digital technology is so good now, that you don't even need to play through a real amp anymore.
It's a great time to learn guitar. There are many online resources for learning how to play and for buying equipment. Also, the digital technology is so good now, that you don't even need to play through a real amp anymore.
Nah.
Play guitar (decently), piano (poorly), and bass (which is probably worse for fingers).....i have no problem performing anesthetics. The are other activities that we don't traditionally think about that could be far more dangerous for your career than playing a string instrument ( ex. cycling)
I've been playing untaught for years, but now I use Fender Play, GuitarLessons365, and Rocksmith and my playing has improved dramatically. I also agree on technology. You can plug into a computer or 100$ audio interface and play though headphones. Lunchboxes are also good for people with small spaces and need headphone jacks.Been playing for decades...if anything it helps with finger dexterity, and doesn't seem to affect my ability to palpate pulses.
It's a great time to learn guitar. There are many online resources for learning how to play and for buying equipment. Also, the digital technology is so good now, that you don't even need to play through a real amp anymore.
I’ve played for about two decades. No issue. Now I mostly play songs for my kids.
Air guitar is more portable and less likely to give calloused fingertips.
Keep shredding
Air guitar is more portable and less likely to give calloused fingertips.
Keep shredding
I gotta get into the 21st century. I’ve still got a Pignose...I've been playing untaught for years, but now I use Fender Play, GuitarLessons365, and Rocksmith and my playing has improved dramatically. I also agree on technology. You can plug into a computer or 100$ audio interface and play though headphones. Lunchboxes are also good for people with small spaces and need headphone jacks.
I can’t play well but I sure know how to buy them.. As above I’ve also switched to 100% u/s which is much faster and precise anyways..
I didn’t know doctors couldn’t play the guitars freely, just like any other people. Our hospital even has a band, and doctors play all the instruments there without any concerns.
I’ve never been interested in music that much, but I still had an electric guitar my father gave me once. He left the family when I was 6 and tried to put up for this with various expensive gifts I didn’t even need. He even got me a full pack of guitar accessories (link deleted by moderator) They looked cool, and I managed to sell them to my classmate for some $50, I guess.
I’ve never been interested in music that much, but I still had an electric guitar my father gave me once. He left the family when I was 6 and tried to put up for this with various expensive gifts I didn’t even need. He even got me a full pack of guitar accessories (link deleted by moderator) They looked cool, and I managed to sell them to my classmate for some $50, I guess.
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted875186
I play, no issues with calluses. I agree there are many more high risk hobbies that e oils injure your back or neck, which is probably much more common a mechanism for disability. You should have a same specialty disability policy anyway just in case.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cycling? Like getting nerve compression?Play guitar (decently), piano (poorly), and bass (which is probably worse for fingers).....i have no problem performing anesthetics. The are other activities that we don't traditionally think about that could be far more dangerous for your career than playing a string instrument ( ex. cycling)
D
deleted875186
Neck issuesCycling? Like getting nerve compression?
Hit by a car issues.Cycling? Like getting nerve compression?
Cycling? Like getting nerve compression?
After spending time at a major US metro level 1 as a member of the trauma team, the number of cyclists hit by cars was staggering.
Classic...wanna sell it?I gotta get into the 21st century. I’ve still got a Pignose...
I do a fair amount of woodworking, talk about possible damage to your fingers. I wouldn't even think of this as an issue for someone wanting to take up guitar. If it's giving you problems, you can just stop.
I also used to cycle to work a fair amount in a major metropolitan area, but to me this was significantly more risky than woodworking (and some of my other hobbies) so I've had to cut it out. There's just too much out of your own control and everything is on the line.
Driving to work is still the most dangerous thing I do on any given day.
I also used to cycle to work a fair amount in a major metropolitan area, but to me this was significantly more risky than woodworking (and some of my other hobbies) so I've had to cut it out. There's just too much out of your own control and everything is on the line.
Driving to work is still the most dangerous thing I do on any given day.
Been playing guitar for a good 40 years.
No issues there.
If you are going to bike, I think mountain biking is a safer choice as you don’t have to deal with cars/trucks/pavement and high speeds. If you like to pedal… MB is the way to go IMO as you also access some incredible hard to reach areas.
Did 34 miles and almost 8k vert in Moab a few days ago. Great decompression.




No issues there.
If you are going to bike, I think mountain biking is a safer choice as you don’t have to deal with cars/trucks/pavement and high speeds. If you like to pedal… MB is the way to go IMO as you also access some incredible hard to reach areas.
Did 34 miles and almost 8k vert in Moab a few days ago. Great decompression.




CrashingCycling? Like getting nerve compression?
After spending time at a major US metro level 1 as a member of the trauma team, the number of cyclists hit by cars was staggering.
That's because they ride like dinguses, worse than motorcycles. Can't tell you how many bicycles I've seen blow through stop signs, change lanes without looking or warning, etc.
In some cities, it's the drivers. I used to ride a bike around the area I grew up. Now there are so many tourists (stop and pull off to the side of the road to look at rainbows and whales) and bad local drivers, the last time I lived at home I wouldn't ride. Also in places like Albuquerque, Tucson, and Phoenix the number of insane drivers is absurd. I basically only ride on trails now.That's because they ride like dinguses, worse than motorcycles. Can't tell you how many bicycles I've seen blow through stop signs, change lanes without looking or warning, etc.
My brother got hit in Portland when he was a Nike intern riding in the bike lane. The car was at fault.
Lol, I play lacrosse and have broken quite a few fingers. I still play adult leagues here and there "occasionally" get whacked at all the time.Any anesthesiologists here who have played guitar for several years? Is it a bad idea to get involved with this hobby being the risk of damage to finger tips of the non dominant hand? Hearing your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Is it smart? Probably not. Should I stop soon? Definitely. Is it fun? Yes.
You may find a cushy jobAny anesthesiologists here who have played guitar for several years? Is it a bad idea to get involved with this hobby being the risk of damage to finger tips of the non dominant hand? Hearing your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
And I hope that you go far
But if you really want to taste some cool success
You better learn to play guitar
Okay - now that I have posted John Cougar, I have to hijack the thread a little so you can all enjoy this gem.
The back up singers are amazing. I don't know who one of them is, but the one with the black tambourines is Crystal Talifero who was discovered by John Cougar, then went on to perform with Billy Joel forever after.
She steals the show - check it around 4:!0 - John does a double take with a smile.....really great.
The back up singers are amazing. I don't know who one of them is, but the one with the black tambourines is Crystal Talifero who was discovered by John Cougar, then went on to perform with Billy Joel forever after.
She steals the show - check it around 4:!0 - John does a double take with a smile.....really great.
Okay - now that I have posted John Cougar, I have to hijack the thread a little so you can all enjoy this gem.
The back up singers are amazing. I don't know who one of them is, but the one with the black tambourines is Crystal Talifero who was discovered by John Cougar, then went on to perform with Billy Joel forever after.
She steals the show - check it around 4:!0 - John does a double take with a smile.....really great.
I’m a big fan of Mellencamp. His more obscure stuff is even better than his hit songs. His style harkens back to a time long forgotten.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think what’s most important is that whatever you do brings you joy. Life is too shortIn some cities, it's the drivers. I used to ride a bike around the area I grew up. Now there are so many tourists (stop and pull off to the side of the road to look at rainbows and whales) and bad local drivers, the last time I lived at home I wouldn't ride. Also in places like Albuquerque, Tucson, and Phoenix the number of insane drivers is absurd. I basically only ride on trails now.
My brother got hit in Portland when he was a Nike intern riding in the bike lane. The car was at fault.
People into guitar need to look up Tom bukovac on YouTube. He’s a Nashville session player playing out of his garage recorded with his iPhone and his playing and pearls are worth a watch.
Can’t see what’s in those cases ..🙁
Can’t see what’s in those cases ..🙁
Here’s a couple of them! Bukovac is the best. Love his youtube channel, all the incredible gear he has and of course his playing.
Great article.
www.aarparrow.com
How to Start a Dad Band and Become a Rock God
You middle-aged guys with some free time on the weekends about to rock, we salute you.
Love that Les Paul. My Les Paul was my first big Christmas gift to myself when I finally made attending money. I had been wanting one since high school. Ironically, my Strat is my guitar I love the most. Also a couple Moogs (Sub 37 and Matriarch) in this "studio".View attachment 361007View attachment 361008
Here’s a couple of them! Bukovac is the best. Love his youtube channel, all the incredible gear he has and of course his playing.
1972 les paul custom.
Been in my life since I was 15 years old and still my favorite axe.
Been in my life since I was 15 years old and still my favorite axe.
What kind of strat @Twiggidy?Love that Les Paul. My Les Paul was my first big Christmas gift to myself when I finally made attending money. I had been wanting one since high school. Ironically, my Strat is my guitar I love the most. Also a couple Moogs (Sub 37 and Matriarch) in this "studio".
What kind of strat @Twiggidy?
Good old US made American Standard. I absolutely love this thing for it being nothing “that” special. I just plays well.
A US Standard Strat was the first good guitar I bought once I started making a little money in residency. Ive since sold it but it was a million times better than anything I owned before.Good old US made American Standard. I absolutely love this thing for it being nothing “that” special. I just plays well.
The Stratocaster is my favorite but these babies are just too clean. They go through a Princeton Reverb when I need to be quiet-ish and a Deluxe Reverb when I want to wake the neighbors
They play well, sound good in any amp and fit every genre. It it was good enough for Hendrix it’s good enough for me lol (Although I admit Billy Corgan is why I started playing guitar)A US Standard Strat was the first good guitar I bought once I started making a little money in residency. Ive since sold it but it was a million times better than anything I owned before.
I really have a thing for red Fenders lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Beautiful! Thanks for the reminder. I need an offset in my life. Played a buddy’s Jazzmaster and I loved it. Especially the tremolo.The Stratocaster is my favorite but these babies are just too clean. They go through a Princeton Reverb when I need to be quiet-ish and a Deluxe Reverb when I want to wake the neighbors
View attachment 361043
Oh yeah. When get into my surf rock phase that Jaguar makes an appearanceBeautiful! Thanks for the reminder. I need an offset in my life. Played a buddy’s Jazzmaster and I loved it. Especially the tremolo.
I’ve been trying to buy my first strat for like 2 years now. So many options. I do want to explore single coils a bit more.I really have a thing for red Fenders lol
I play through a dual rectifier and a diezel vh4…. but lately been running them through a torpedo x amp loader and sending that signal to studio speakers. Tubes are hot in the amps and I’m not blowing out my ears lol…and amp tones are def there at lower volumes. My marshal and mesa cabs are not getting much love now days, but they are nice to look at. 🥰
Love his tone on Gish and Siamese…. and bullet w butterfly wings is special sauce on top.(Although I admit Billy Corgan is why I started playing guitar)
A Marshall stack really is a beautiful thing. In my current housing situation my wife would murder me😛I’ve been trying to buy my first strat for like 2 years now. So many options. I do want to explore single coils a bit more.
I play through a dual rectifier and a diezel vh4…. but lately been running them through a torpedo x amp loader and sending that signal to studio speakers. Tubes are hot in the amps and I’m not blowing out my ears lol…and amp tones are def there at lower volumes. My marshal and mesa cabs are not getting much love now days, but they are nice to look at. 🥰
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 1K