Playing "The Game" During Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a good student in med school, but I was terrible at playing "the game" to get ahead. I didn't join any clubs I wasn't actually interested in, I didn't run for any offices, I didn't suck up to attendings. I just put my head down, did my work, and tried to have a life outside of school. I didn't play "the game" of kissing-butt, doing research just to have it on a resume, running for student body president, etc because I thought I was above that.

Looking back, however, I kind of wished I had played the game a little - brown-nosed some (not an annoying amount, just a little) to ensure great letters, did research just to have it on a resume, stuff like that. I don't mean to say that it's the end all and be all of life, just wish I'd done a little more to make myself shine.

As a resident, I want to shine. I want to be the best resident I can - get along with my co-workers, impress my attendings on all my rotations (especially off-service), kiss-butt. However, playing that game isn't really in my nature - even though I recognize that it's important for getting a job and competitive fellowship.

What sort of things do interns and residents do in order to really shine?

Members don't see this ad.

Bah. The "Game" is to be normal. You'd be surprise at how many people can't get it right.

If you want to shine, just have a good attitude. That's the hardest thing to do. Everything else, like patient care, learning medicine, getting work done... that's all easy stuff.

As you get older, you start to naturally fall into the groove and do and say what is necessary to avoid any annoying problems in your life. You quickly see that kissing a little rear or showing a bit of respect makes your life easier… THEN when you actually have a situation where you need to stand up and put your foot down, people will take your grievance seriously.

In other words, smiles are free and so is smalltalk and a friendly compliment. Call people by their name and they will usually see you in a positive light.

Like the poster above mentioned, be yourself but we are all social creatures and it is the small things that make us like each other...and it is those little things that people remember.

being attractive and/or showing cleavage seems to help enormously, just based on observation

To simplfiy things:
1) How does one ensure a good relationship with the PD? Why is this critical? What does the PD want out of residents?

2) How to impress off-service attendings and residents?

3) How to position oneself for a possibly competitive fellowship after residency? What can be done intern year? Second year? etc?

Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_win_friends

To simplfiy things:
1) How does one ensure a good relationship with the PD? Why is this critical? What does the PD want out of residents?

2) How to impress off-service attendings and residents?

3) How to position oneself for a possibly competitive fellowship after residency? What can be done intern year? Second year? etc?

Thanks!

McGillgrad is right on this one.
A lot of it is just the small talk, casual smiles, etc.
It's not just "acting normal" if acting normal for you includes being either reserved or maybe just a little shy.

What you need to do to get fellowships depends on your specialty, and what subspecialty you want. For IM --> cards or GI or allergy/immuno, some amount of research would really be helpful. Try to set up research during any elective rotations you have, and go to the division chair or full professors and ask if you can participate in any research they have ongoing. You may get fellowship with no research if you are at a well known IM program, but better to cover all your bases including the research to increase your chances.

What will cause the PD to like you more vs. less really depends on the PD's personality, and what the PD thinks is important in a resident. Don't do any things that are his/her pet peeve, and generally don't get into any type of conflicts with anyone. Being friendly with the chief resident(s) doesn't hurt, either.

I have no problem getting along with other people. I'm pretty social, easy-going, and well-liked. So I guess I've got that going for me.

I'll have to sniff around for some research - I have a month just for research so that helps. I guess I'll have to plan ahead for that.

I would appreciate more comments on what makes a resident shine!

Work hard. Never slack off because someone else is not doing their share of work. Feel free to complain about it, outside of work.

Be reliable. If you say you are going to do something, then do it.

Complain when something really needs to be fixed, and suggest solutions. Moaning and groaning will not get you anywhere.

Admit when you don't know something.

Never, ever, ever, make something up. If you didn't do it / check it / order it, then say so. Never document something you didn't do.

Remember that your resident might be your chief one day.

The patient comes first. Patient safety comes first also. Know your limits.

I agree with all the APD said, except the part about complaining when something needs to be fixed. Some programs really don't like this type of input from house staff, particularly interns. I think it is better to go there for a few months and get the lay of the land, and assess the personality of the PD and dept. chair before you should even consider complaining about anything, unless of course it is something that is directly and currently affecting your patient's safety. Some programs have official "feedback sessions" where they can get feedback from house staff, while others are more "father knows best" and don't really care to hear what house staff think about how things are going. Some hospitals also don't have the financial and staffing resources to correct things that are wrong, and so a complaining resident just reminds them of deficiencies they don't want to be reminded of.

A handful of residents will butter up the PDs. It's gross. In a couple of cases, this has benefited the residents positively. The PD's are human afterall, but they are intelligent (psychiatrists), too, and often have some insight into brownnosing. Also, being a sycophant can backfire on the resident in question if he doesn't get what he wanted from the PD. That's not pretty. I've also seen how excessive buttering up angers other residents.

I would do what other posters said and be yourself, be professional, be kind to those around you, go to as many of the departmental functions as you can and try to call people by their names. I wouldn't try to kiss up now, especially since you say you're not good at it. :laugh:

As a resident, you'll see how 'kissing up' works on the other side. You'll appreciate how interested, hardworking and respectful medical students make your life so much easier. If med students show genuine interest and a little respect (not artificial kissing up), that affects my impressions of them. I make an effort to keep objective markers in my head re: knowledge set, interviewing skills, etc., too, but yes, the evaluation process is a human one. And frankly, I think it should be. We're not computers. At least I don't think I am...