Playing Video Games

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donnie48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking around and haven't really found a post. So I am in the process of sending my medical school applications. My MCATs and my GPA are looking pretty nice now after this quarter classes.

Just wanted to know if anyone here plays video games? I usually play MMORPG's for about 16 hours a week... Is this something I should get rid of, if I get into a medical school? Just wanted to know, since I've been committed to it for quite some time. Was wondering what are some opinions on this?

Also should I be studying at least 6 hours a day? So about a total of 40 hours of studying a week? Just wanted to prepare myself. Hope someone could get back to me.

Members don't see this ad.

i went to visit a friend during an interview and it was shocking how much that person has changed. he is a MS1 and he looked completely beat down and worn out from studying and stuff.

16 hours of video games is intense bro. I will probably be in the gym 12 hours a week or so. I dont know if those are the same thing or not, but i guess you could manage. you just have to go to med school and find out. man i have no attention span for video games whatsoever i dont know how you kids can sit through it

:) MMO crew, lol

i've been playing video games pretty much as long as i can remember, and MMORPGs in the last few years. i expect, like most of my leisure activities, i'll still be able to do them, just not as much. i don't think you have to give it up, but you probably shouldn't join a guild that raids 3x a week lol

Members don't see this ad :)
i play tons. just beat batman arkham asylum. looking for my next fix. i think however most pre-meds don't game as much. the vast majority seem to play guitar hero or WoW but I wouldn't really call them gamers. In that sense, you might quit after WoW ends (which it will at some point).

I used to play xbox all the time, but since school started I barely ever play anymore. IMO sixteen hours per week is pretty excessive, and that much time spent away from schoolwork and studying can't possibly have good results. I'm not saying to go cold turkey, just establish some reasonable limits.

I'm a level 80 warlock, a level 200 mage in maplestory, and a level 45 MCAT. I'm a power gunner.

Kidding. But I do play my share of video games, *when I have time*. Video games have been on the bottom of my priority list for a while, where they should have been all along.

I first started playing my cousins Atari back in '87 and then got my first Nintendo in '88 when I was 5-years-old. I just play PC now but I hardly get to play now-a-days. I've always been a fan of FPS and about 6 years ago I got into RTS. Those take time to play so now I just stick with puzzle-like games such as Cogs and World of Goo. I'll try to get in a FPS during breaks buts that's about it for now. :(

man, i stopped playing video games after high school :(

I am still a high school senior, but I quit games sophomore year lol. Now that I reflect back on those days, I can't believe I did it. I used to play 5 hours a day, sometimes even 13 on the weekends. Now I just study, go on this site, and work on college applications/SAT's.

Just try not to be excessive. Prioritize studying first and if you have some free time go ahead and play some video games. ;D

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't wait for Starcraft 2.

Same here. But Blizzard can SUCK IT for splitting it into three games.

My game of choice right now is Supreme Commander.

I used to be huge into video games, but I found triathlons, and they take up most of my extra time.

me 3 i am waiting for sc2 as well...

There was only one real mmo, doubt any of you played it.

16 hours is possible. I think that's how much I play. here's the break down of my week
M-T: get up at 8:30, studies and classes until 9:00pm, talk to gf for an hour, play computer game for 2 hours.

Friday: finish research at 6pm, dinner, going out/computer game till 1am
saturaday: finish studying at 6pm, dinner, going out, computer game, etc.

I play a LOT, mostly shooters. But i'm still in undergrad so I have a **** ton of free time.

Playing video games keeps me sane... it's so easy to just pick up whenever you want to and while you're playing it all of your worries go out the window.

I'm all about anything Halo or Command and Conquer. The gears of war series is great too! It keeps me from going completely insane...

If it's a game you can play for a free hour every once in awhile then sure, but I couldn't have played WoW like that. Was constantly getting into raids I couldn't leave without alienating people. Can't imagine playing that game casually either, as how powerful you were was so time-dependent. It wasn't a game you can just be good at - you have to kill a lot of dragons. It was fun, but it was more like an alternate reality than a game. 16-hours is probably too much...

Sorry to stomp all over the boys club, but IMO video games are a waste of time. Unfortunately, I've seen someone I love fall victim to WoW so I have an intense hatred for MMORPGs and I especially loath Blizzard. Yes, perhaps my feelings are misdirected but its no secret that too much gaming can get you into trouble and I can't help but blame the game developers b/c they know what they are doing.

To the OP, 16 hours a week is pretty excessive. If you still feel like you need to play while in med school to blow of steam or whatever, and you can keep your playing time in check, then I guess do what you do. However, I think you would be better off finding a healthier and more SOCIAL recreational activity.

Sorry to stomp all over the boys club, but IMO video games are a waste of time. Unfortunately, I've seen someone I love fall victim to WoW so I have an intense hatred for MMORPGs and I especially loath Blizzard. Yes, perhaps my feelings are misdirected but its no secret that too much gaming can get you into trouble and I can't help but blame the game developers b/c they know what they are doing.

To the OP, 16 hours a week is pretty excessive. If you still feel like you need to play while in med school to blow of steam or whatever, and you can keep your playing time in check, then I guess do what you do. However, I think you would be better off finding a healthier and more SOCIAL recreational activity.

Dance... Dance... Revolution... with a friend...?

Doable. I don't do it, I like watching shows over and over again for some reason, like office/scrubs/house... You will/should have 16 hours a week of free time, the question is, is there anything else more important (relaxation-wise) youll want to do that you won't then have time for? You'll find out I guess, but definitely doable!

WoW is social. That's part of the problem. But there are plenty of social and antisocial ways of wasting time, and it only becomes a problem if you do it too much as you implied. Though with WoW, I'm not sure what the point of casual play would be. You would suck, get killed, and get stuck with other people who suck, like Leeroy Jenkins. (I played and eventually made myself quit completely, but I play other games and studies have suggested that videogame playing is associated with better surgery skills :laugh:)...

Also not really sure why you pair social and healthy. Going to a bar every night is social, but not healthy. Going to the gym by yourself is healthy, but not necessarily social. And while everybody should get exercise of some kind, some people don't blow off steam by being productive... oh well.

I've always loved video games, and I definitely camped out in front of Target for 13 hours or so before the Wii came out. However, I wound up selling it after my Sophomore year because I knew I wasn't going to have time to keep up with the latest and greatest if I wanted to focus on school and on my friends.

I still play occasionally when I have spare time (I have the old reliable GameCube/GameBoy Advance combo to occupy me). Anybody into strategy RPGs? Man, I love me some Fire Emblem...

You're not stomping on anything. Live your own life and mind your own business. You sound like some bitter ex-girlfriend who got dumped over WoW. Must suck not being better than a game. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're not stomping on anything. Live your own life and mind your own business. You sound like some bitter ex-girlfriend who got dumped over WoW. Must suck not being better than a game. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wow. That's just cold, bro. :D

Still, she's got a point. Some people just can't control themselves. I've heard horror stories from professors about kids who failed/dropped out of classes because they were playing WoW 18 hours a day...

16 hours a week, though? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. If you've got the time available, and it helps you relax and unwind (I know it does for me), then go for it. Just make sure it's in the right spot on the priority list.

Ouch so harsh lol. But shooting stuff up in a game once in a while def. is good for your mental health. (we all need to blow off steam somehow)

I loved the game Left 4 Dead, and I like Call of Duty 4 (and I'm a girl haha)

I've always loved video games, and I definitely camped out in front of Target for 13 hours or so before the Wii came out. However, I wound up selling it after my Sophomore year because I knew I wasn't going to have time to keep up with the latest and greatest if I wanted to focus on school and on my friends.

I still play occasionally when I have spare time (I have the old reliable GameCube/GameBoy Advance combo to occupy me). Anybody into strategy RPGs? Man, I love me some Fire Emblem...

Fire Emblem = Awesomeness :D

The GBA one will always be my favorite(the one with Lyn and Eliwood). Fire Emblem 6 is another good one too!

Fire Emblem = Awesomeness :D

The GBA one will always be my favorite(the one with Lyn and Eliwood). Fire Emblem 6 is another good one too!

I must have played FE7 at least 15 times. Completed the entire support conversation library, too.

And I would love to play FE6, but I'm stuck with the US-released stuff. Sad day.

yeah if you "lost someone you love to WoW", that's definitely not blizzard's fault... it's the person's fault for not being able to sustain personal relationships because of a video game.

everything in moderation bro.

yeah if you "lost someone you love to WoW", that's definitely not blizzard's fault... it's the person's fault for not being able to sustain personal relationships because of a video game.

everything in moderation bro.

:thumbup:

I'm a casual gamer. Mostly first-person shooters, MMO's, and the Sims (I'm weak). I usually limit my play to about 6 hours/week... but then, I'm not a hardcore gamer. You'll probably have to change your habits in medical school, but hey, you're still in undergrad... enjoy it for however long it lasts.

i think my pc spent 100x more hours macroing than i did playing in UO

i can tell you that biochem is about to take the backseat to cod4 modern warfare 2