Please advice about SMP/postbacc for low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Determined77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear members,

I joined this forum because i wouldn't get any great advice unless i ask myself rather than keep searching regarding my concerns of entering medical school.

I just graduated from a Canadian university, with biochemistry degree. I had my ups and downs during my undergrad. due to various harsh circumstances. Anyways, now i have decided to get on my feet and follow my determination of entering medical school.
My GPA on my transcript is 3.01. Yet, my GPA which i have calculated through AMCAS (since both original and repeated grades were averaged) is 2.7. I am currently taking a time off school to study for the MCAT to take it in January of 2014.

However, i just want advices about what path to take because of my GPA?
1) Should I do SMP for Winter semester? i have applied to M.S in Basic Medical Science at Wayne State University. Also, i am thinking of applying to M.S in Applied Anatomy at case reserve university. I don't know if these would be good choices in order to improve my GPA. I am wondering what others programs are good for GPA improvement and would taken into consideration by the medical schools.
2) I have been thinking of the Caribbean but i am still hesitant about it as i believe that there are many chances in U.S to upgrade the GPA and be ready to apply for medical schools in the U.S.
3) I was thinking of going back to my university and take some courses, repeat few to get the GPA to 3.0, and then do SMP?

I will be grateful for every advice, and if anyone would inform me of any programs that would be beneficial for improving my GPA, it would be very helpful :).

Members don't see this ad.

Dear members,

I joined this forum because i wouldn't get any great advice unless i ask myself rather than keep searching regarding my concerns of entering medical school.

I just graduated from a Canadian university, with biochemistry degree. I had my ups and downs during my undergrad. due to various harsh circumstances. Anyways, now i have decided to get on my feet and follow my determination of entering medical school.
My GPA on my transcript is 3.01. Yet, my GPA which i have calculated through AMCAS (since both original and repeated grades were averaged) is 2.7. I am currently taking a time off school to study for the MCAT to take it in January of 2014.

However, i just want advices about what path to take because of my GPA?
1) Should I do SMP for Winter semester? i have applied to M.S in Basic Medical Science at Wayne State University. Also, i am thinking of applying to M.S in Applied Anatomy at case reserve university. I don't know if these would be good choices in order to improve my GPA. I am wondering what others programs are good for GPA improvement and would taken into consideration by the medical schools.
2) I have been thinking of the Caribbean but i am still hesitant about it as i believe that there are many chances in U.S to upgrade the GPA and be ready to apply for medical schools in the U.S.
3) I was thinking of going back to my university and take some courses, repeat few to get the GPA to 3.0, and then do SMP?

I will be grateful for every advice, and if anyone would inform me of any programs that would be beneficial for improving my GPA, it would be very helpful :).

Being Canadian brings about unique challenges since very few schools accept internationals and the ones that do only accept <10 or so a year. You'd have to research the ones that accept the most international students or see Canadian applicants as OOS.

Also, most international students have great stats and are competing for such few spots available so I doubt that an SMP would work well for a Canadian applicant. I'd suggest looking into DO schools with their grade replacement policy or an SMP program with a direct linkage that accepts Canadians.

Being Canadian brings about unique challenges since very few schools accept internationals and the ones that do only accept <10 or so a year. You'd have to research the ones that accept the most international students or see Canadian applicants as OOS.

Also, most international students have great stats and are competing for such few spots available so I doubt that an SMP would work well for a Canadian applicant. I'd suggest looking into DO schools with their grade replacement policy or an SMP program with a direct linkage that accepts Canadians.

Thank you for your response. Yes, i do have a full idea about international students. However, i am not international. I am actually a U.S resident, but my information regarding postbacc and SMP towards the path of MD is very limited. That's why i am seeking for any advice :).
I have been also advised about DO, but i am still hesitant about it. Right now, i just want to put my focus on improving my academic performance, and also sit for the MCAT to obtain a good score.

Thank you for your response. Yes, i do have a full idea about international students. However, i am not international. I am actually a U.S resident, but my information regarding postbacc and SMP towards the path of MD is very limited. That's why i am seeking for any advice :).
I have been also advised about DO, but i am still hesitant about it. Right now, i just want to put my focus on improving my academic performance, and also sit for the MCAT to obtain a good score.

Ahh sorry, didn't know you were a US resident. That's very good as that changes your options :).

As you said earlier, take classes (especially science upper level classes) until you hit at least 3.0 sci and cumulative GPA. You can just enroll in any 4 year institution to do that and no formal post-bacc program is necessary.

Then look up at the stickies in this forum and apply to all of the schools listed as Tier 1 SMP programs. Its an old list but I think most of it is correct by looking at it. Some good examples of programs are Temple, BU MAMS, Georgetown, Rosalind, etc.

And finally, before you can do this make sure to KILL it on the MCAT. A 32+ is what you're looking for since most of these programs are made for people with low GPAs but high MCATs/EC's.

Good luck OP.