Please Advice, Thanks :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pallkgmc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got accepted into Uni of Colorado & UOP for the international program (2 yr DDS). I need some opinion in making a decision between these two, considering below facts:

UOC - start six month early (jan'11), one of the cheapest school.
UOP - Ivy league, most expensive, start in Jul'11.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't seem like much of a choice. Go to the cheaper school (AND you get to start 6 months earlier!). That less debt will be a huge benefit, especially in this economy where you'll have trouble finding a job, and if you find a job you'll have trouble getting patients to come in, and if the patients come in you'll have fun with insurance issues.

By the way, UOP is not "ivy league." The Ivy League is an athletic conference.

Thank you for your help.

Just wondering how the potential recruiter rate the college while giving the job. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear pallkgmc,

I advise going to UOP because I feel that it is a better school. I am a dentist myself , and own my own practice and I would be more inclined to hire someone that graduated from UOP than Colorado. I didn't even know that Colorado had an international program, it must be fairly new. I feel people who graduate from private schools usually get hired quickly. I don't know why. My dad is also a dentist and he has a UOP graduate working for him. Sure the expenses are a bit more, but its worth it in the end. hope this helps!

Dear pallkgmc,

Just so there isn't any confusion, I don't work with my dad, he is in a different state. I opened up my own practice and put myself through school on my own, and I am currently paying off my loans. I just wanted to be clear. I didn't want you to get discouraged thinking that the only way to succeed is if you have someone helping you.

i completly disagree with options13. go to the cheapest school you get into. have you calculated the cost difference between the two schools? also, whats options13 said about private school graduates getting hired quicker than public school is BS. nobody cares about what school you went to, it's all about your skill set. good luck and congrats

i completly disagree with options13. go to the cheapest school you get into. have you calculated the cost difference between the two schools? also, whats options13 said about private school graduates getting hired quicker than public school is BS. nobody cares about what school you went to, it's all about your skill set. good luck and congrats

Bingo! At the end of it all, a d-school with the "worst" reputation can produce a "great" dentist, just like a d-school with the "best" reputation can produce a "bad" dentist. It's all about what YOU do or don't put into it.

The biggest difference then gets down to both a combo how much each school costs (the less one costs, the sooner more of the $$ you'll be making after graduation will be staying in your pocket instead of going to the lending institution that's servicing your loans), and where you feel you'll do the best. If one school just seems like a great fit for you and another just seems like it would be a miserable experience (for whatever reason), then you might want to take that into acccount just as much as the cost issue.

Thank you guys for your time & attention.:)

For 2 years there is a significant cost (tution fees) difference between two, UoP gonna cost $200K compare to UoC $140k.

My mind is telling me to go for UoC; however, do not want to make me have a regret in future to loose best opportunity unless there is a significant difference. :scared:

well its just a personal opinion. I know many dentists in my area that hire private school graduates. In order to make a good dentist one needs good clinical experience and practice. I think UOP offers more of a clinical experience than Univ. of Colorado because UOP is in a bigger city so more inflow of patients, hence more practice, therefore a great dentist. UOP is more, but its a trade off. "Practice makes perfect"