Please advise an uninformed applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gedanken

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a senior applying for med schools in the fall but am kinda clueless about the whole process and and just now reading up on it. I need advice.
I took the April MCAT my Junior year and got a 37 (13 V, 13 PS, 11 B). I was shooting for a 39 or better. Unfortunately I had not visited sites like this and so with my SAT-attitude toward the MCAT I registered to retake it in August of the year I am applying. Now I find out this is not recommended and may actually be detrimental to my chances as it will delay my application. Should I cancel and ask for a refund? Understand that I want to apply into some of the best schools. Here's some of my info:
-Science major, 3.8 GPA
-Few extracurriculars, most of time spent doing undergrad research, however no papers published
-Pretty much no clinical experience. I was a candy striper in high school for 2 years but that's about it. A little volunteer work. I know this will hurt me, but how much? Should I try to cram in some clinical experience before interviews?

I was hoping that a really high MCAT would improve my chances of being offered a full ride at the state med school, which I plan to apply to also. I'd appreciate any input as to whether I should retake the MCAT. Will getting a 39 or 40 really improve my odds much? Or will the subsequent delay in processing my application outweigh the benefits?
Thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely cancel that 2nd MCAT. Do you really want to go through that again? Your GPA is also great. 3.8 and a 37 are excellent stats. As far as the clinical experience goes, you need to find out if you like the clinical environment and show that to the adcoms. "Cramming it in" is gonna get you nowhere. Adcoms will see right through you. My advice is that you get yourself involved in shadowing or a clinical volunteering position as soon as possible an do it throughout the year and your interviewing process. Show the adcoms you are committed to getting some experience. Also, I don't want to burst your bubble, and I don't know what state school you're applying to, but full scholarships to medical school are definitely few and far between, even when you have stellar stats. And if you want a shot at them, probably the earlier you apply the better.

I don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but from my experiences, there is no such thing as a "Full Ride" to Med school. In college, scholarships are awarded based on merit (ie grades, sports, etc.). But in med school, the only scholarships they have are NEED based. There are also a bunch of little dinky $500-$1000 scholarships based on things like your ethnic background, or what county you're from, things like that. But after having sat through six financial aid presentations, I heard nothing about scholarships based on your grades/scores.

I could be wrong, and somebody please correct me if I am. But I just thought you should be forewarned that the "full ride" does not exist in the world of med school. Get used to these words: Stafford Loans!

Good Luck, Mango(MS1 in one week!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually there are full rides in med school. Mango's right, though. A lot of scholarships are based on need and skin color, but merit scholarships do exist. I've only really looked into 5 schools, so I can't comment on all med schools. Wash U did however send me a letter saying that they offer 16 full tuition merit based scholarships each year. I'm sure other schools out there have similar offers.
-Mike

Most MD/PhD programs are full-ride, and they pay the student a yearly stipend as well. Gedanken sounds like a good candidate for one of these.

I would retake the test to try to get in the mid 40's. You need to work on that low GPA also.

Just kiddin'...............good job!

Gedanken,

Definitely do not retake the MCAT. You do need some clinical experience. However, if you apply MD/PhD you dont need as much as you would for a normal MD program.

My bet is that if you get some clinical experience and have a good personality you would have a good shot at any of the
MD/PhD programs.

I suggest you go MD/PhD.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed