PLEASE ADVISE ME! (really confused)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angldrps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Can someone please advice me on what i should do. I recently took the april mcat and got only a 23. I am going to enroll in summer TPR prep course and re-take late august/early september. I need help figuring out when to apply? Should i submit primary app now? wouldn't an mcat score that releases late september/early october be too late in the app. process? do schools give out secondaries before they have the new mcat score or not?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I took my first MCAT the beginning of September last year and applied afterwards and I was fine :) Probably too late for MD schools though - if you were considering those.

I've heard most people on here advise to submit applications as soon as possible.. verification reasons or something? If you put your next MCAT date on it maybe that will help? Don't take my word for this though, I waited to submit it until after I had taken it.

Start applying now. The sooner the better because if you apply now the schools will review the rest of your application and put it on hold until your mcat scores come out. And as soon as they receive your new scores you will get a quick response from them. They might even send you the secondaries before your scores come out which is a good thing.

Note: Don't apply if you have not completed rest of the stuff such volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply now. A lot of schools don't interview until after oct anyway when your scores will be in. Applying early puts your file at the front of the queue.

Some schools I interviewed at even accept scores as late as January before they make final decisions. No matter what, apply early.

Apply and make sure you note on the Application that you plan to take the MCAT in August or September, most likely if the other parts of your application look good they will put you in the possible interview invite pile and when you rock the MCAT they will put you in the need to schedule for interview pile.

You need to trust your gut feeling on this one. I think it would be fine to apply DO this year if that is what you want. PM me if you have any other questions.