Please Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheila023

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and to pre-med in general. Today I have been feeling a bit discouraged and I stumbled upon this site. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's my story:

I have a B.S. in Sociology with a 3.79 GPA. I had a 4.0 my last 3 years at school.

No science background.

Currently serving a 4 yr term as an Air Force officer; working full-time. This leaves little time for class.

Stuck in a city that has little to offer in the way of post-bacc. programs.

Enrolled in a local community college that has pre-med advising and classes at night and on-line.

I believe that I will do well in my biology/chem/physics courses because I'm a good student. However, I wish I could take these courses at at 4-yr university. Some of the schools I am interested in applying to will not accept pre-reqs from a community college. Can anyone relate? Is this really a problem?

I plan to apply to med school once I've completed my pre-reqs and just prior to my separation from the Air Force.

I am currently a hospice volunteer.

Like I said, any advice would be helpful. Maybe there is more that I can do that I haven't thought of.

Sincerely,

Sheila

Members don't see this ad.

I too ran into the community college problem because I graduated in engineering with some very poor pre-med counseling advice about required courses. Some schools will count the community college course if it can transfer to a 4 year school. Also, some 4 year schools offer online coursework (UCLA, UCSD, UC Berkley).

I hate to break it too you, but your GPA is OUTSTANDING and your military service will carry a lot of weight, especially if it has involved international service. I got into school with a much lower GPA.

Ace the MCAT (actually just try to at least crack 30) and you should be a shoo-in. Keep up with the hospice volunteering. Not only will it help you get into medical school, it will ground you during those times when the application process has you at your wits end. Your hospice patients will do you a service by reminding you who and what a medical career is all about.

Everything looks awesome...finish up your prereqs and do well in them, take the MCAT and go for the 30, but even give or take a few points may not hurt you...study hard, the MCAT is tough but doable....an MCAT prep class may help you out a lot with the studying....you look golden, good luck!! :luck:

Thank you for the encouragement. I think I was most discouraged about finishing my prereqs at a community college; but I feel better now. Thanks again.