Please any advice on gap year/chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohsnap23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I come to you as a very nervous applicant seeking advice.

BACKGROUND:

Application mailed out: 7/8

Overall: 3.34
Science: 3.21

DAT: highest attempt was 19 AA, 17 PAT / most recent DAT attempt was 17AA/17 PAT (Unfortunate I know...)
Great LOR, PS, extras, volunteer (400+ hours), shadowing (150+), etc.

I have a huge upward trend. I had a 2.4 GPA my freshman year, but from there literally got 3.5-3.8 GPA each semester (wrote about this in PS). Exercise science degree and now currently on a gap year. Applied to 15 schools. Rejected from 1 so far, no peep from others. Applied broadly and researched.

ADVICE:

I'm very nervous in terms of having applied early and having no power in my hands at this point. As most, I always prepare for the worst. So based on my stats what should I be doing on my off year? I was thinking of retaking my DAT for a 3rd time and perhaps take 3-4 science classes in spring through an unofficial post-bach if it looks bleak in around November. Is perhaps a 1 year master's necessary to salvage my GPA? I want this really bad. ANY constructive criticism would really help me go a long way. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think the GPA is the problem. While your GPA is a tad lower than average, what was your DAT scores?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your DAT scores confuse me. Did you get a 19AA with a 17PAT and then got a 17AA on the second retake?

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, if you didn't retake the DAT for a lower score (i'm confused on this can you elaborate) then you might have a solid chance with that extremely high upwards trend.

I don't think the GPA is the problem. While your GPA is a tad lower than average, what was your DAT scores?
Sorry for the confusion. My first DAT was a 19 AA/17PAT, then I took it again and got 17AA/17PAT (only studied a month, overconfident)

You shouldn't had retaken on a 19AA. That being said, you will NEED to retake for a third. NOW, that upward trend is cool and all, but in my case, it hasn't done much of anything for me. Who knows, you could be way luckier than me.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for the confusion. My first DAT was a 19 AA/17PAT, then I took it again and got 17AA/17PAT (only studied a month, overconfident)
Overconfidence can be one's downfall. Not being confident enough is also someone's downfall xD. Always the too hot, too cold, just right thing. C'mon we all learned about goldilocks when we were 5 right?

You shouldn't had retaken on a 19AA. That being said, you will NEED to retake for a third. NOW, that upward trend is cool and all, but in my case, it hasn't done much of anything for me. Who knows, you could be way luckier than me.
That's what I was expecting. Your DAT is solid so hey I hope we're both lucky... Do you think that's all I should do at this point?

Overconfidence can be one's downfall. Not being confident enough is also someone's downfall xD. Always the too hot, too cold, just right thing. C'mon we all learned about goldilocks when we were 5 right?
Haha so true, well I only studied a month for the first attempt but the second time it was near finals times. I was pressed to submit early. But hey no excuses, so I guess I gotta label it as that haha!

That's what I was expecting. Your DAT is solid so hey I hope we're both lucky... Do you think that's all I should do at this point?

That's all you should focus on right now. Which school did you get rejected at just out of curiosity?

That's all you should focus on right now. Which school did you get rejected at just out of curiosity?
Alright cool thanks man. So you don't think it would do much good to take some sciences as well? I got rejected by MWU/AZ. :/

Alright cool thanks man. So you don't think it would do much good to take some sciences as well? I got rejected by MWU/AZ. :/

If you have the disposable income, sure. But to be honest, I think the money would be better spent elsewhere (or saved). Or better yet, take upper level courses that will lead to a higher degree. This also counts as postbacc anyway, but it won't add to your undergrad. Getting an A with over 120 credits already done doesn't do much for your GPA anyway. My best suggestion is go for a graduate program because you want the best value for your money AND it is something you can fall back on in case dentistry doesn't pan out.