Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say that the usefulness or acceptance of clinical pharmacists may not be so great in most hospitals, my personal experience was quite the opposite.
Because I have two children, I was able to get all of my rotations in the same city while I was a 4th year. The hospital I did most of my rotations at was a large (1100ish beds) teaching hospital. My two-month internal medicine rotation was excellent. I rounded everyday with the medical teaching service and they were very receptive to the professional opinion of both my preceptor and myself. All of our attendings would involve us in the patient discussions and asks our opinions of the patients current drug therapy. Each team consisted of an Attending, Upper-level Resident, two 1st year Residents, two med-students, and a Clinical Pharmacist. I learned more about clinical practice in that two month rotation, than I learned in 4 years of Pharm school.
I also had a Trauma/Surgical Critical Care rotation at the same hospital, which has a level 1 trauma unit. Because, of my performance during my Adult Med/Internal medicine rotation. I was given my own team for my trauma rotation and was basically treated as a pharmacy resident. I spent the first hour to hour and a half working up the teams patient's which varied from about 20-40 patients all admitted to the hospitals surgical department. We would round daily for about 3-4 hours all the time responding to every trauma call that came in for the day.
During trauma's we would go to the trauma bay and throw on some lead and start gathering information about the patient that was coming their way. We would need to asses based on vitals what type of pain meds we needed to get ready. What types of antibiotics we need to get ready based on type and location of open wounds. On several occasions I made infusions on the spot of pressors or vasotec if they were needed. I prepped syringes of atropine and epi when a pt crashed. My days were 12-14 hours long and I never once looked at the clock and wondered when I was going to be getting off. It was a complete hands on experience and something I will never forget. If I was in a different place in my life (not married with children) I would have done the residency and worked as a Trauma pharmacist. Instead I currently work at a small family pharmacy, where I don't has some corporate suits telling me how to practice.
The Hospital I rotated at has a very good, but physically and emotionally demanding residency program. If you are interested PM me.
Because I have two children, I was able to get all of my rotations in the same city while I was a 4th year. The hospital I did most of my rotations at was a large (1100ish beds) teaching hospital. My two-month internal medicine rotation was excellent. I rounded everyday with the medical teaching service and they were very receptive to the professional opinion of both my preceptor and myself. All of our attendings would involve us in the patient discussions and asks our opinions of the patients current drug therapy. Each team consisted of an Attending, Upper-level Resident, two 1st year Residents, two med-students, and a Clinical Pharmacist. I learned more about clinical practice in that two month rotation, than I learned in 4 years of Pharm school.
I also had a Trauma/Surgical Critical Care rotation at the same hospital, which has a level 1 trauma unit. Because, of my performance during my Adult Med/Internal medicine rotation. I was given my own team for my trauma rotation and was basically treated as a pharmacy resident. I spent the first hour to hour and a half working up the teams patient's which varied from about 20-40 patients all admitted to the hospitals surgical department. We would round daily for about 3-4 hours all the time responding to every trauma call that came in for the day.
During trauma's we would go to the trauma bay and throw on some lead and start gathering information about the patient that was coming their way. We would need to asses based on vitals what type of pain meds we needed to get ready. What types of antibiotics we need to get ready based on type and location of open wounds. On several occasions I made infusions on the spot of pressors or vasotec if they were needed. I prepped syringes of atropine and epi when a pt crashed. My days were 12-14 hours long and I never once looked at the clock and wondered when I was going to be getting off. It was a complete hands on experience and something I will never forget. If I was in a different place in my life (not married with children) I would have done the residency and worked as a Trauma pharmacist. Instead I currently work at a small family pharmacy, where I don't has some corporate suits telling me how to practice.
The Hospital I rotated at has a very good, but physically and emotionally demanding residency program. If you are interested PM me.
