Please chime in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irvbosoff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to UCSF, but I am unsure as to whether or not I would fit in there. I have a year of research experience, and didnt really enjoy it. All I hear about UCSF is that it is research driven.. so if I do not enjoy doing research, is the school not right for me?

Also, what is the atmosphere like at UCSF? Are students laid-back, and or are they "gunners" doing all in their power to ensure an opportunity to specialize?

More important to me than reputation is the environment of the dental school. I am not a very "competitive" person, and I want to enjoy my 4 years of school. From my visit at UCSF, I am still unsure as to whether or not I will fit in....

Can current UCSF students offer some input?

Members don't see this ad.

What's your other choice? People would be able to give you a better advice if they know it.

What's your other choice? People would be able to give you a better advice if they know it.

I guess it's a toss-up between OHSU/UNLV/Marquette...

(Everyone is telling me to do UCSF, but I'm not sure if I would be a good fit.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well its up to you, but UCSF is a great school. I would choose UCSF over OHSU/UNLV/Marquette.

Is price not an important factor for your decision? (250K for UCSF)

I don't care for research but found that if you have a cool PI then you can work a lot on your own work while waiting for stuff to run. For instance my cells were on a rocker for an hour. Instead of being forced to autoclave stuff he let me study and made the younger undergrad pick up the other work. If you look like you are busy and are producing results then you are generally granted autonomy. If you look bored, that's asking for busy work.

Also research helps if you ever want to specialize. I have no clue not even having a dental school class yet, but would like to keep all my doors open for when time for that decision comes around.

I was accepted to UCSF, but I am unsure as to whether or not I would fit in there. I have a year of research experience, and didnt really enjoy it. All I hear about UCSF is that it is research driven.. so if I do not enjoy doing research, is the school not right for me?

Also, what is the atmosphere like at UCSF? Are students laid-back, and or are they "gunners" doing all in their power to ensure an opportunity to specialize?

More important to me than reputation is the environment of the dental school. I am not a very "competitive" person, and I want to enjoy my 4 years of school. From my visit at UCSF, I am still unsure as to whether or not I will fit in....

Can current UCSF students offer some input?

These are the exact reasons I am going to Marquette....

These are the exact reasons I am going to Marquette....

No Kidding!! I absolutely LOVED the laid-back, easy-going attitude of Marquette, it's just so far from home (not to mention, so cold--I live in southern California now.)

Any current UCSF students want to shed light on the attitude of students/ atmosphere of school?

Is price not an important factor for your decision? (250K for UCSF)

I'm leaving price out of the equation...I was running the numbers, between the schools is a +/- 15-20k being an out of state student..

I have meet a lot of excellent practicing dentists from UCSF and some have participated in research and have not, they loved (as much as a dental student can) their time there. Having the possibility to do research, if your heart desires, later on, is always a good opportunitiy.

From the students I've talked to at UCSF, competition isn't a huge factor because it's all P/F.

Also, since everybody gets in-state tuition after the first year, it's actually more affordable than you might think. SF is an expensive city, but the school itself is pretty affordable

research isnt required at ucsf. i think at least half (pbb even more) dont even do research while in dental school. the ones who do research spend their summer vacation at labs, and the others who dont wanna do research just study for boards. There are tons of comm service opportunities for 1st year dental students: Comm dental clinic, hep b clinic, etc. I think you will fit in here no problem. my friends at ucsf tell me that ucsf is really chill since its p/np. of course there are gunners (gunners are everywhere), but most of the students are pretty helpful and wont try to sabotage you.

has the OP decided where to go? Marquette seems nice.