please clear up some confusion for me about NPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingdoctor13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone can explain the prescription rights of NPs i would like it~or direct me to a thread that explains it? I am wondering, can NPs prescribe medications without working under a doctor, or does he/she have to work under a doctor for approval of that medication? Also, like doctors can they prescribe medication for themselves or family (nothing of the controlled variety but ordinary everyday (like BC) without having to go through the doctor first? I am just curious and not wanting to incite anything.

Members don't see this ad.

If someone can explain the prescription rights of NPs i would like it~or direct me to a thread that explains it? I am wondering, can NPs prescribe medications without working under a doctor, or does he/she have to work under a doctor for approval of that medication? Also, like doctors can they prescribe medication for themselves or family (nothing of the controlled variety but ordinary everyday (like BC) without having to go through the doctor first? I am just curious and not wanting to incite anything.

It all depends on the State. There are total of 12 states that allow prescriptive authortity without physician involvement (there are two states that have graduated authority). In other states there are various requirements for collaboration, supervision, authorization or direction. As far as family members it again depends on the state. Most states require a physician to have a relationship with the patient to prescribe. Whether anyone cares is another story. Schedule drugs on the other hand are a big issue. Most states limit family members to a three day emergency supply.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Could you please provide me with a link that specifies which states allow Nps to prescribe and details about other related abilities? Thanks