Please Don't Ever Give Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAoptoDude

Reaction score
I just want to get this message out to anyone out there doubting themselves. No matter what position you are in...applying, applied and rejected, or not sure if it is even worth the time and effort applying because you got a low GPA in undergrad. You can always redeem yourself and get yourself into optometry school. I speak from experience. Back in the day, like ten years ago, I was afraid to even apply to schools, embarrassed because I had 3 F's on my transcript from classes where I straight up didn't attend the final exams and didn't bother to drop the class at the registrar's office because I was simply too lazy to get off the couch and walk down there.

After graduating with my bio degree, I was too discouraged with my low science GPA (like 2.4) to apply to optometry school or pharmacy school, and proceeded to start unhappily working at a series of unfulfilling jobs for like 6 or 7 grueling years after college. In the back of my mind, I knew that I wanted to go to optometry school and not work these soul crushing jobs at restaurants, call centers, high schools, etc. I just didn't know the way out. At the time, I just felt like getting into optometry school was impossible with my low GPA, and was too discouraged to try and apply. I wish then, that someone had told me, that even if it is MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A 3.0 CUMULATIVE SCIENCE GPA, to retake every science prereq course you got less than a B in (general chemistry, o chem, physics (for life sciences majors, no need to take the engineering one), biology) at community college, get rid of distractions, study hard and get all A's and B's in these courses the second time around. I eventually faced these facts that I had to raise my GPA by RETAKING THE PREREQUISITES AT COMMUNITY COLLEGE. If you feel you still need to raise your science GPA in addition to this, you can then take upper division biology courses online or through university extension programs. Many community colleges even offer lab science courses like microbiology, anatomy, and physiology that look great on an application if you can get good grades, even if you just take them ONE COURSE AT A TIME PER SEMESTER. I'm saying this because that is exactly what I did. Every one of these classes were offered at nights, after work, at local community colleges.

It did take me a couple years to retake my prerequisites over again in this way, but it was TOTALLY WORTH IT IN THE END. I studied carefully for all of them. I even took a semester off taking classes to just study for the OAT (still kept my job to pay the rent during these years). Because I had classes like o chem and physics fresh in my mind, studying for the OAT was a little easier (use the Kaplan Book). Studied for the OAT for like 3 months, maybe 5-6 hours a day of studying after work during these 3 months. Then, shadowed for 3 different optometrists (probably could have gotten away with shadowing just one). Applied EARLY IN THE CYCLE, like August, got in to every school I interviewed at. 2 of these schools are highly selective in admissions. TOOK ME 2.5 YEARS OF STUDYING, AND I DON'T REGRET A DAY OF IT.

Man, let me tell you guys, for YEARS, like maybe ten, I was kind of down on myself for not having a good enough GPA in college, thinking I was basically done and there was no way I could ever get into graduate school. But I'm here to tell you right now that now matter what, there is a way to get the classes done over again, get good grades in them, and fix your transcript, because admissions committees really VALUE GRIT and somebody who HAS EXPERIENCED FAILURE AND REDEEMED THEMSELVES. Heck, when I applied to Berkeley, one of the essays was about the meaning of "grit". They probably looked at an applicant like me (and potentially you) as someone with more life experience compared to the prototype traditional applicant with a perfect undergrad transcript. Believe me, they get plenty of those to interview anyway. Someone who demonstrates relentless determination after they have screwed up looks WAY MORE INTERESTING, SO KEEP MOVING FORWARD AND DON'T LOOK BACK. If you screwed up, you can choose to let it ruin you, or you can work hard and reinvent yourself. It's up to you.

So, to counter all the negative crap you might be reading out there about needing to have at least a 3.0, 2.8, 2.75 or whatever GPA, let me tell you that you DON'T NEED PERFECT GRADES, SO JUST PUT IN THE WORK AND GO FOR IT. It might take like 3 or 4 extra semesters before you can apply, but it can be done. I had 3 F's in college, redeemed myself, and now I'm literally living a dream everyday in optometry school. I made my dream real. So, if you read this far, just know that YOU CAN DO THIS. I only wish I had read this ten years ago, and started to make it real sooner, instead of doubting myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
I just want to get this message out to anyone out there doubting themselves. No matter what position you are in...applying, applied and rejected, or not sure if it is even worth the time and effort applying because you got a low GPA in undergrad. You can always redeem yourself and get yourself into optometry school. I speak from experience. Back in the day, like ten years ago, I was afraid to even apply to schools, embarrassed because I had 3 F's on my transcript from classes where I straight up didn't attend the final exams and didn't bother to drop the class at the registrar's office because I was simply too lazy to get off the couch and walk down there.

After graduating with my bio degree, I was too discouraged with my low science GPA (like 2.4) to apply to optometry school or pharmacy school, and proceeded to start unhappily working at a series of unfulfilling jobs for like 6 or 7 grueling years after college. In the back of my mind, I knew that I wanted to go to optometry school and not work these soul crushing jobs at restaurants, call centers, high schools, etc. I just didn't know the way out. At the time, I just felt like getting into optometry school was impossible with my low GPA, and was too discouraged to try and apply. I wish then, that someone had told me, that even if it is MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A 3.0 CUMULATIVE SCIENCE GPA, to retake every science prereq course you got less than a B in (general chemistry, o chem, physics (for life sciences majors, no need to take the engineering one), biology) at community college, get rid of distractions, study hard and get all A's and B's in these courses the second time around. I eventually faced these facts that I had to raise my GPA by RETAKING THE PREREQUISITES AT COMMUNITY COLLEGE. If you feel you still need to raise your science GPA in addition to this, you can then take upper division biology courses online or through university extension programs. Many community colleges even offer lab science courses like microbiology, anatomy, and physiology that look great on an application if you can get good grades, even if you just take them ONE COURSE AT A TIME PER SEMESTER. I'm saying this because that is exactly what I did. Every one of these classes were offered at nights, after work, at local community colleges.

It did take me a couple years to retake my prerequisites over again in this way, but it was TOTALLY WORTH IT IN THE END. I studied carefully for all of them. I even took a semester off taking classes to just study for the OAT (still kept my job to pay the rent during these years). Because I had classes like o chem and physics fresh in my mind, studying for the OAT was a little easier (use the Kaplan Book). Studied for the OAT for like 3 months, maybe 5-6 hours a day of studying after work during these 3 months. Then, shadowed for 3 different optometrists (probably could have gotten away with shadowing just one). Applied EARLY IN THE CYCLE, like August, got in to every school I interviewed at. 2 of these schools are highly selective in admissions. TOOK ME 2.5 YEARS OF STUDYING, AND I DON'T REGRET A DAY OF IT.

Man, let me tell you guys, for YEARS, like maybe ten, I was kind of down on myself for not having a good enough GPA in college, thinking I was basically done and there was no way I could ever get into graduate school. But I'm here to tell you right now that now matter what, there is a way to get the classes done over again, get good grades in them, and fix your transcript, because admissions committees really VALUE GRIT and somebody who HAS EXPERIENCED FAILURE AND REDEEMED THEMSELVES. Heck, when I applied to Berkeley, one of the essays was about the meaning of "grit". They probably looked at an applicant like me (and potentially you) as someone with more life experience compared to the prototype traditional applicant with a perfect undergrad transcript. Believe me, they get plenty of those to interview anyway. Someone who demonstrates relentless determination after they have screwed up looks WAY MORE INTERESTING, SO KEEP MOVING FORWARD AND DON'T LOOK BACK. If you screwed up, you can choose to let it ruin you, or you can work hard and reinvent yourself. It's up to you.

So, to counter all the negative crap you might be reading out there about needing to have at least a 3.0, 2.8, 2.75 or whatever GPA, let me tell you that you DON'T NEED PERFECT GRADES, SO JUST PUT IN THE WORK AND GO FOR IT. It might take like 3 or 4 extra semesters before you can apply, but it can be done. I had 3 F's in college, redeemed myself, and now I'm literally living a dream everyday in optometry school. I made my dream real. So, if you read this far, just know that YOU CAN DO THIS. I only wish I had read this ten years ago, and started to make it real sooner, instead of doubting myself.
Hey congrats, what were your oat scores if you don't mind. As well as the resources you used.

Hey congrats, what were your oat scores if you don't mind. As well as the resources you used.
I got a 400 on all the sections. I used Kaplan, OAT destroyer, and OAT Achiever. Chad's Videos for physics filled in the gaps that Kaplan left out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you happy with your career? Do you think all of the work you put into it was worth the resulting job? Do you wish you did something else?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you happy with your career? Do you think all of the work you put into it was worth the resulting job? Do you wish you did something else?
Personally, I love it. Life's too short not to be happy. Don't sit around all uncertain, it really is all in your head. Go for it. After I graduated from UCLA, I used to have to bus tables at Outback Steakhouse because they didn't think I was qualified to be a waiter there. Look at me now. Makes me chuckle just thinking about it. Let that be a lesson to you...don't sit around wishing you did something else. Go do that something else before ten quick years pass by.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users

Thank you so much for sharing! Congratulations on your success!! :) Do you have any advice for students starting optometry school this fall?

Reactions: 1 user