Please evaluate my premed post-bacc plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alienwares

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been out of the hard science loop for several years and I have been trying to figure out how to plan the next several years of my life. I have 2 different possible plans at the moment:

PLAN A

Spring '10
Remedial math course at a local CC (pre-calc); begin volunteering at local hospital

Summer '10
Intensive calculus course at 4-year college; all future classes at same 4-year college

Fall '10
Gen Chem
Gen Bio

Spring '11
Gen Chem 2
Gen Bio 2

Summer '11
Not sure yet; Physics 1/2?

Fall '11
Orgo
Biochem or Genetics

Spring '12
Orgo 2
Biochem or Genetics

ALTERNATELY, PLAN B:

Spring '10
Remedial math course at a local CC (pre-calc); begin volunteering at local hospital

Summer '10
Gen Chem 1 and 2

Fall '10
Gen Bio
Physics 1 or Orgo 1

Spring '11
Gen Bio 2
Physics 2 or Orgo 2

Summer '11
Not sure yet

Fall '11
Physics 1 or Orgo 1
Biochem or Genetics

Spring '12
Physics 2 or Orgo 2
Biochem or Genetics

Important details:
I took Gen Bio 1 and 2 6 years ago as a CC summer course. I received As, but I cannot remember a thing from it. I also took Gen Chem 1 at a 4-year college and received a B. Also A&P, B+ and B.

I graduated as a history major. The last hard science class I took was in my freshman year of college, 2004-2005.

If need be, I could quit working altogether at some point in order to do this; my significant other brings in enough money to cover our very tiny expenses. However, I understand that this can look bad to adcomms if I am not doing enough? My basic plan includes PT work to help pay the bills.

When do you think I should take physics? During summer, my first year, or during my second year? I am concerned that I will not have time to prep enough if I take Orgo/Physics/Biochem during that last semester, but returning to classes with a triple load of Bio/Chem/Physics also seems tricky. I do NOT want to slip up; my overall GPA is a 3.8, but my science GPA is presently around 3.45.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a similar dillema. I wanted to take Physics, Gen Chem, and Bio this fall, but had to take Algebra before I could take Physics. Taking Algebra, Chem, and Bio right now I would definitely say that doing Chem, Bio, and Physics in one semester is feasible. Most people in my program are actually doing that. If you have a solid enough background in Algebra, I would say take those 3 courses because there is supposedly a lot of Physics on the MCAT, and you would want proper preparation to do well.