Please evaluate my premed post-bacc plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alienwares

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been out of the hard science loop for several years and I have been trying to figure out how to plan the next several years of my life. I have 2 different possible plans at the moment:

PLAN A

Spring '10
Remedial math course at a local CC (pre-calc); begin volunteering at local hospital

Summer '10
Intensive calculus course at 4-year college; all future classes at same 4-year college

Fall '10
Gen Chem
Gen Bio

Spring '11
Gen Chem 2
Gen Bio 2

Summer '11
Not sure yet; Physics 1/2?

Fall '11
Orgo
Biochem or Genetics

Spring '12
Orgo 2
Biochem or Genetics

ALTERNATELY, PLAN B:

Spring '10
Remedial math course at a local CC (pre-calc); begin volunteering at local hospital

Summer '10
Gen Chem 1 and 2

Fall '10
Gen Bio
Physics 1 or Orgo 1

Spring '11
Gen Bio 2
Physics 2 or Orgo 2

Summer '11
Not sure yet

Fall '11
Physics 1 or Orgo 1
Biochem or Genetics

Spring '12
Physics 2 or Orgo 2
Biochem or Genetics


Important details:
I took Gen Bio 1 and 2 6 years ago as a CC summer course. I received As, but I cannot remember a thing from it. I also took Gen Chem 1 at a 4-year college and received a B. Also A&P, B+ and B.

I graduated as a history major. The last hard science class I took was in my freshman year of college, 2004-2005.

If need be, I could quit working altogether at some point in order to do this; my significant other brings in enough money to cover our very tiny expenses. However, I understand that this can look bad to adcomms if I am not doing enough? My basic plan includes PT work to help pay the bills.

When do you think I should take physics? During summer, my first year, or during my second year? I am concerned that I will not have time to prep enough if I take Orgo/Physics/Biochem during that last semester, but returning to classes with a triple load of Bio/Chem/Physics also seems tricky. I do NOT want to slip up; my overall GPA is a 3.8, but my science GPA is presently around 3.45.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thank you.
 
I am having a similar dillema. I wanted to take Physics, Gen Chem, and Bio this fall, but had to take Algebra before I could take Physics. Taking Algebra, Chem, and Bio right now I would definitely say that doing Chem, Bio, and Physics in one semester is feasible. Most people in my program are actually doing that. If you have a solid enough background in Algebra, I would say take those 3 courses because there is supposedly a lot of Physics on the MCAT, and you would want proper preparation to do well.