Please explain the National Guard MDSSP program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaSein77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With ASR not looking good now...I'm exploring some other options. I've found some info on MDSSP, but specifics have been lacking. Can someone fill in the blanks please? I think this is the best way to get sufficient brief info on the program. Please keep it simple but add something else if it is important...thanks!

Commitment:
When is commitment satisfied (residency? or after residency?):
Pay (tax free?):
Entering rank:
Deployment during medical school:
Deployment during residency:
Military or Civilian residency:
Can you go into any specialty:
Health Insurance:

Anything else??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With ASR not looking good now...I'm exploring some other options. I've found some info on MDSSP, but specifics have been lacking. Can someone fill in the blanks please? I think this is the best way to get sufficient brief info on the program. Please keep it simple but add something else if it is important...thanks!

Commitment: you give 1 yr, they get 2 yrs
When is commitment satisfied (residency? or after residency?): after med school if you dont take anything else
Pay (tax free?): taxed
Entering rank: 2nd Lt.
Deployment during medical school: noDeployment during residency: no
Military or Civilian residency: Civilan residencyCan you go into any specialty: yes, but you cant get offered loan repayments for some...there is a list they offer loan repayments to for more yrs of commitment
Health Insurance: yes, you have to pay the premium..i think around $50/month

Anything else??

Thanks!

see answers in box!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Commitment:
Please see the link from jkmph: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=682275. It goes through the commitment scenario by scenario.
When is commitment satisfied (residency? or after residency?):
Please see the link from jmkph: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=682275.
Pay (tax free?):
No, the pay is taxed as income.
Entering rank:
O-1 (2nd Lieutenant) when you start med school, O-3 (Captain) when you start residency.
Deployment during medical school:
Deployment during residency:
Non-deployable during med school and residency.
Military or Civilian residency:
Civilian only.
Can you go into any specialty:
Yes.
Health Insurance:
Only if you pay. Tricare Select (2010 rates) is $49.62 for you or $197.65/mo for your family. Coverage is fair. Odds are that your medical school will provide MUCH better coverage, probably cheaper (though some schools are getting stingy on this).

With just MDSSP: (Quoted from you!)

You begin payback when you start residency (e.g.: Take MS II-IV, you owe six years drilling, which will finish six years after graduating medical school).

So, according to you, you start paying it back while in residency...
Yes. The commitment STARTS while in residency. It is SATISFIED eight years later. Your reply indicates the commitment is satisfied after med school.

I don't want folks to get confused, which is easy with the 1:1 vs 2:1 and the STRAP vs. MDSSP starting payback at different times.

Glad we're all on the same page.

Thank you all for taking time to reply...I realize some of this info was contained in other posts, but there were a few things I was unsure of and just wanted it all answered at once. This really clarified a lot for me...so thank you again.

I just want to throw this senario out there, b/c it might be what I end up doing:

Lets say I take MDSSP from years II-IV (3 years total) and don't contract into any other programs...my total payback time would be 6 years.

So my questions is this:
If I take a 6 year residency (i.e. neurosurgery) I will payback all my time while in residency, will never be at risk for deployment during that time, and will be able to complete my residency training uninterrupted (periodic drilling aside)?

One more question...

If I end up staying in the Guard, would my MDSSP time be counted toward retirement points?

Thank you all for taking time to reply...I realize some of this info was contained in other posts, but there were a few things I was unsure of and just wanted it all answered at once. This really clarified a lot for me...so thank you again.

I just want to throw this senario out there, b/c it might be what I end up doing:

Lets say I take MDSSP from years II-IV (3 years total) and don't contract into any other programs...my total payback time would be 6 years.

So my questions is this:
If I take a 6 year residency (i.e. neurosurgery) I will payback all my time while in residency, will never be at risk for deployment during that time, and will be able to complete my residency training uninterrupted (periodic drilling aside)?

As far as I know you are correct, if the residency itself with no fellowship involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
with asr being gone i am also seriously considering the mdssp program. am i correct in understanding that you are not deployable during residency, only after or during fellowship? also while in residency if you are not on strap would i be eligible for flex training? thanks for the answers, i really wish the whole asr thing would have worked out, but this seems like the next best thing.

am i correct in understanding that you are not deployable during residency, only after or during fellowship?
You are not deployable during residency. Whether you are deployable during fellowship is determined on a case by case basis.

My personal opinion? If they need to deploy National Guard docs, they'll call up residency trained, non-fellowship types first, but when they run out of us, they'll pull you from fellowship program. I haven't heard of this happening yet, but if they need to, they will.
also while in residency if you are not on strap would i be eligible for flex training?
If you are in STRAP and/or MDSSP, you should be eligible for flexi-training while in med school and/or residency. But check with your state on this, as flexi-training varies a bit.

I've never heard of this program, but have been considering HPSP. The MDSSP sounds like a much better deal though. When paying back your committment (during residency), how is this done? Do you just do the one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year thing? Or are you just like a standby doc that lives a civilian life drill free unless a war breaks out?

The deal sounds too good to be true.

If you are in STRAP and/or MDSSP, you should be eligible for flexi-training while in med school and/or residency. But check with your state on this, as flexi-training varies a bit.

Flexi training is what? Just not drilling every month?

So the Guard website says MDSSP is paying $1992.00 per month. I understand this to be gross pay...right? Does anyone know a rough estimate of how much of that is take home? I know it will vary from state to state (I'm in PA), but am I looking at about $1500 take home pay per month (assuming a 25% total tax)? Or does the military have some tax exemptions that give a high take home pay?

So the Guard website says MDSSP is paying $1992.00 per month. I understand this to be gross pay...right?
Correct, it's gross.
Does anyone know a rough estimate of how much of that is take home? ... Or does the military have some tax exemptions that give a high take home pay?
Not that I can see. The reason people talk about "tax breaks" for military folks is usually in reference that a large amount of the total income for someone in the military full-time is their BAH, which is the allowance for their housing. That one is tax free. The pay portion is taxable.

I believe (though you should verify) that MDSSP and STRAP are both taxed at standard income rate. You should be able to find a calculator for your state somewhere. I don't know of one off the top of my head...

I'm also curious, do they give you that 1900 a month AND cover your tuition like HPSP does, or is it just the 1900 a month and no tuition coverage?

I'm also curious, do they give you that 1900 a month AND cover your tuition like HPSP does, or is it just the 1900 a month and no tuition coverage?
Nooooo... No National Guard program I know of covers your tuition. For that kind of payout, the military expects full-time service.

There are some tuition benefits in the Guard, though. Everyone gets a $4,500 tuition waiver. Some states offer additional tuition benefits (google it, varies a lot by state). If you stay in the Guard and end up liking it, you can get a $50K loan repayment for an additional three years service. Etc.

2 more questions

1. Another question about retirement...

If I do a three year contract (6 year commitment), how much of that time counts toward retirement. I should get 9 years total in, right?

3 years of drilling while in medical school + 6 years of drilling while fullfilling my commitment = 9 years

Is this right?

2. When I graduate medical school I will be O-3 Captian. What category will my drill pay fall under? Will I be in the less than 2 year category, or will I be considered to have 3 years in, even though I haven't started serving my commitment yet?

In other words...does my time during medical school count as time in service?

If I do a three year contract (6 year commitment), how much of that time counts toward retirement. I should get 9 years total in, right?
Yes. 3 years drilling in med school plus 6 years drilling commitment.
When I graduate medical school I will be O-3 Captian. What category will my drill pay fall under? Will I be in the less than 2 year category, or will I be considered to have 3 years in, even though I haven't started serving my commitment yet?
Your time in med school (since you're drilling) counts towards retirement. So you will be an O-3 with 3 years.

Notdeadyet,
Thank you so much for all your replies, you have been extremely helpful. I am very grateful...keep up the good work!