Please explain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gostudy

Black covfefe. No sugar, no cream
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why it is generally understood that anasthesiologists have "good hours" when you have to be in the OR for surgery? What I mean is why are surgeons considered to have "bad hours" if anasthesiologists and surgeons both have to be in the OR for surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Why it is generally understood that anasthesiologists have "good hours" when you have to be in the OR for surgery? What I mean is why are surgeons considered to have "bad hours" if anasthesiologists and surgeons both have to be in the OR for surgery?

Good question.

My guess is anesthesia is called a "lifestyle" specialty not because of our hours....most guys work 50-60 hours a week which includes nights, weekends, holidays....but because of the amount of time off. I'd say the average private practice dude takes 8-10 weeks vacation annually.

I think from a pure "good hours" standpoint derm/path/psych are the winners.

Good question.

My guess is anesthesia is called a "lifestyle" specialty not because of our hours....most guys work 50-60 hours a week which includes nights, weekends, holidays....but because of the amount of time off. I'd say the average private practice dude takes 8-10 weeks vacation annually.

I think from a pure "good hours" standpoint derm/path/psych are the winners.

Thanks for the response. So, why do I hear of anasthesiologists getting leaving at 3pm or 4pm? I know getting off at 3 or 4pm is not normal for most surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's because anesthesiologists work in shifts (almost like ER physicians). When it's time for you to go home, the next shift will relieve you. Even if you are in the middle of a case, they can still take over for you. Usual day shift is from like 6am to 2 or 3pm.This is obviously not true for surgeons because they have to finish their case, make sure patients are stable in SICU or ward before they leave the hospital, however long it takes.

Surgeons work much more than just OR cases. They consult, round on patients, have clinic, etc. It is brutal work. Take a look at the general surgery forum if you want to get a feel of what their lives are like. It is a fun job but you have to want it to be the most important and most time consuming part of your short time on this planet.

When anesthesiologists leave work there day is over. Surgeons may still be in the hospital all night long after cases, rounding, taking care of pts in ICU and meeting with family members of sick pts, etc....etc...you get the point.

Surgeons also have to sometimes run an office, hire, fire and take care of an office and overhead.

I have a lot of respect for my surgical colleagues; they are some of the most dedicated people I know.