• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Makan

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Michigan
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I have graduated from business school (double major finance and accounting/150 credit hours of school with a 3.7 GPA) last june. I really became interested in dentistry about couple of years ago but didn't wanna change or switch majors but now i am enrolled in school as a biology major to finish my prereqs. I am taking Chem II, Phy II and biology this semester and I will take Organic Chem I, II and another Bio and Biochem in spring and summer and I'm ganna study for DAT on my own and take in mid summer and apply for dental school in like Aug. I'm starting to do lots of shadowing and other stuff as well. I really really want to do this regardless of the workload.
My question is that "if i even have chance" of getting into a school for fall 2008 or not? cause if i don't I would like to take my time and try to do more and do better for 2009.
I would really appreciate any respond/advice/opinion I could get from you.
Thanks.

dr.rex

rexadactyl nights
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
Accepted
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
you would be better off in 2009 because to have a good chance you need to apply early and if y ou are taking classes in the summer you wont be able to apply study for the DAT and take classes. so do all your stuff and get ready to appl y in may of 08 for the 2009 cycle

jfitzpat

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If you can handle the load, then it is possible. I started my pre-reqs last spring and it went about like this:

Spring: Intro to Chemistry and Intro to Biology
Summer: Chem I and II
Fall: Orgo I, Physics I, Bio I
January 6: DAT
January 16: Acceptance Letter
Spring: Orgo II, Bio II, and Physics II (in progress)

However, note that the one school I was accepted at was the school I attended for undergrad and law school, I did above average on the DAT, and have received all A's in my prereqs. Your mileage might vary, but your goal of 2008 certainly seems less agressive than what worked for me. As long as you can do it without jeopardizing your grades or DAT score, it is very possible.

About the Ads

dentalman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status (Visible)
As long as it is not pass the AADSAS deadline for schools, you can still apply. Your chances are lowered, because most schools have rolling admissions, but if you do well on DAT, it might work. In other words, slim chances, but not out of the realm of possibility. (Just remember, even if they have late deadlines, they have already accepted a majority of the class by now.)

danhook

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
F-L-O-R-I-D-A
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
You will def. be able to get in somewhere. I have a girl in my class that had a finance degree. I think her situation was similar to yours when she made the switch. Good luck with the transition, study hard for the DAT!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.